Start by marking “Bronwyn's Bane” as Want to Read:
Bronwyn's Bane

Bronwyn's Bane (Argonia #3)

As if it wasn't bad enough already that because of her frost giant heritage from her father the king's side of the family she was 6 feet tall when she was only 12 years old, poor Princess Bronwyn (the Bold) of Argonia was cursed at birth to tell nothing but lies. With her father away at war and her mother heavily pregnant, Bronwyn is even more in the way than usual, so she ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Published December 1st 1984 by Bantam (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Bronwyn's Bane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bronwyn's Bane

Kelley Ceccato
This is a comic fantasy from the 1980s. Somehow I feel that a lot about the book, good and bad, could be summed up in those few words.

The Good:
The characters are very engaging (or at least have the potential to be so). I found Bronwyn a delight. Honestly, how many fantasy novels feature a bluff, good-natured giantess as their heroine? One who must labor under the burden of a most provoking but interesting curse, never to speak the absolute truth? Her wily song-witch cousin Carole made a pleasing
Sion
Feb 24, 2017 Sion rated it really liked it
Dead funny.
Kathy Burford
Jun 29, 2015 Kathy Burford rated it it was amazing
One of Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's early and very funny fantasies: inventive and hilarious. Bronwyn, who wears full armor, carries a useful anti-magic shield, and constantly practices her fighting skills, has been cursed and can't tell the truth. She sets off on a quest to uncurse herself and another enchanted princess who is currently a swan, along with her cousin and a gypsy boy who can speak to animals. Along the way they encounter outlandishly entertaining beings and situations.

Scarborough m
Lisa
Aug 29, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it
This was a bit difficult to follow - the heroine has a curse of always lying, so she often says the opposite of what she means, sometimes just something ridiculous. Lots of fantasy creatures, the main plot difficult to follow behind other sub-plots. Very complex, and characters each with as many quirks as redeeming characteristics. Hats off to Scarborough for finally being able to tie things together at the end! I only persevered because of my sense of loyalty to Scarborough as an author; howeve ...more
Ero
Sep 29, 2011 Ero rated it it was ok
Given the silliness of the plot and the colorful contents of the plot, this ought to be super-entertaining. But the prose is so poorly written that I have to read everything twice just to figure out what's going on. Also, I can't for the life of me muster any feelings at all about any of teh characters.

It may be the perfect bedtime book though: it's mildly entertaining, puts me to sleep quickly, and I don't care what happens in the meantime.
Michelle
Jul 09, 2012 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Bronwyn is not a typical princess. She is big. She is a little clumsy at times, and can only ever tell lies. This does not present too much of a problem for her cousin, whom she is sent off to "visit"...her cousin Carole picks up easily enough on the curse and is able to just reverse everything Bronwyn says. Their adventure takes them over seas and across mountains. I found this book both funny and charming, a wonderful fantasy to add to any collection.
Dark-Draco
Apr 28, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I thought this was quite good, but felt a bit let down. There didn't seem to be a lot of 'point' to the story - the characters just fell into one event after the next with no real conscious will. I hate to sound like me English teacher, but the characters didn't really develop at all, which left me disappointed. Saying that, I did enjoy the read and thought it was quite funny in places, but isn't one of those books that is going to stay with me.
Jeffrey
Jan 21, 2008 Jeffrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Light fun fantasy with sly humor. Bronwyn, is not like other princesses. She is big, brawny and has been cursed at birth with a spell that makes her tell nothing but lies.

When war breaks out she is sent by the Queen to live with her cousin Carole, but soon the cousins go on an adventure themselves.

Nicole
Jul 29, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is essentially a comedy of manners in fantasy.
She was cursed (by an evil fairy of course) at her christening to always tell a lie so this leads to every manner of farcical setting. Delightful!
Arlene Allen
Jun 16, 2010 Arlene Allen rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I've been reading Elizabeth Ann Scarborough for 27 years now? Scary!!
Carol
Jan 04, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Girl power fantasy!
Rachel
Sep 07, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
It's been a very long time since I read this but I remember that I liked it. A fantasy with good story telling. Might contain a little adult content?
Tatra
May 16, 2011 Tatra rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011-may, 2011, fantasy
A great adventure.
Lenny Husen
Feb 09, 2013 Lenny Husen rated it it was ok
It was just OK. Blah story. But the cover art is amazing!!!
Alexandra
3nd in the series.
Charley
Began reading on July 15, 2010. A fun, nonsense fairy tale. 3 stars.
Hennypenny
Jul 27, 2012 Hennypenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Just found her back list on Smashwords ---- YEAH!!!!
I love this book but it has been a long time since I read it.
Judith
Dec 13, 2009 Judith rated it did not like it
I tought this would be a cute farce, but please don't waste your time. COuldn't bring mysel to finish it. It goes way past farce to boring and juvenile.
Anne Adamowski
Anne Adamowski rated it liked it
May 18, 2012
Jacquie James
Jacquie James rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2014
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Shane
Shane rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2011
Mia Nutick
Mia Nutick rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2013
Darryl Branning
Darryl Branning rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Coralie
Coralie rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2010
Rob St.Martin
Rob St.Martin rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2011
Jennifer Heise
Jennifer Heise rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Scottyp
Scottyp rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2014
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
  • Minerva Wakes
  • Mainline
  • Drinker of Souls (Drinker of Souls, #1)
  • Derai (Dumarest of Terra, #2)
  • Grayheart  (Wolfwalker, #4)
  • Einstein and Religion: Physics and Theology
  • Luck of the Wheels (Windsingers, #4)
  • The Alien Way
  • The Curse of Naar (Lone Wolf, #20)
  • Gnosis: The Nature and History of Gnosticism
  • The Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk Classics, #4)
  • The Telzey Toy And Other Stories (Telzey Amberdon, Book 2)
  • Windows Presentation Foundation Unleashed
  • Crashcourse
  • The Seven Serpents (Fighting Fantasy: Sorcery!, #3)
  • Cards of Grief
11906
Elizabeth Ann Scarborough was born March 23, 1947, and lives in the Puget Sound area of Washington. Elizabeth won a Nebula Award in 1989 for her novel The Healer's War, and has written more than a dozen other novels. She has collaborated with Anne McCaffrey, best-known for creating the Dragonriders of Pern, to produce the Petaybee Series and the Acorna Series.
More about Elizabeth Ann Scarborough...

Argonia (5 books)
  • Song of Sorcery (Argonian #1)
  • The Unicorn Creed (Argonian #2)
  • The Christening Quest (Argonian #4)
  • The Dragon, the Witch, and the Railroad