Start by marking “The Loo Sanction (Jonathan Hemlock, #2)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Loo Sanction

Trevanian

The Loo Sanction (Jonathan Hemlock #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,386 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
"A masterpiece . . ." THE NEW YORK TIMES
The scene is London, where Jonathan Hemlock is blackmailed into performing another "sanction" -- a top-secret political assassination -- in a nerve-wracking web involving dirty dealings among high-ranking British government officials and a British counterespionage group. Once again Hemlock's life hangs in the balance -- but this time
Published January 1st 1984 by Avon Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Loo Sanction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Loo Sanction

Mark
Mar 22, 2015 Mark rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the spy genre
Shelves: spies, 2015
This book has a brilliant title which gave me interesting visions of what Jonathan Hemlock would be up to. The title and the previous novel The Eiger sanction were enticing enough to pick up a copy and read it.

This is a novel about the dark side of spy craft, it leaves nothing intact of the romanticized idea of spies in the UK, it is more than shady it is kind of awefull. The retired assassin Hemlock is doing a series of lectures in the UK and he gets caught in a situation where a dying man is f
Eric_W
Sep 01, 2010 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everyone is no doubt familiar with the movie "Eiger Sanction" based on a book of the same name by Trevanian, pseudonym for a university professor who wrote a series of very popular genre novels. Miffed that critics and many readers did not get the spoof intended in the Eiger Sanction, he wrote the Loo Sanction which is not only a very successful spy thriller but a broad lampoon of British (and American) academia and the espionage community. The puns surrounding the word "loo," the name of the Br ...more
Hali Sowle
A reread of this book and I have to say it didn't quite live up to my memories and it definitely doesn't live up to the billing of it's more well known prequel - The Eiger Sanction.

Jonathan Hemlock is in London doing a series of lectures, he has cut ties with CII, the spy organization that had supported his art habit by hiring him out to do "sanctions". But as most of us know we can never fully leave our past behind. Hemlock is drawn into the spy and killing game again but this time by a Britis
Jason Edwards
I have just finished reading, literally seconds ago, The Loo Sanction.

I thought I had read this once before. But I didn’t remember any of it. Then again, my reading of it must have been nearly twenty years ago. Let’s call it a kind of pseudo-Alzheimer's. And the joke is that it would be great to get Alzheimer’s and go reread all of one’s favorite books for the first time. I’m living the dream, here in my foggy head.

I read somewhere that The Eiger Sanction was supposed to be a spoof, but nobody g
Chris
Trevanian's sequel to his classic The Eiger Sanction is awful. Absent are the humor, adventure, and all-out fun of that previous work. The plot is obvious with physically disgusting characters that nauseate the reader. Of course, there's Jonathan Hemlock's characteristically macho sexuality, along with out-of-this-world sexy fully naked women, but they're not even slightly erotic this time.

I have no problem with an author quickly capitalizing on momentary success to make a lot of money in a sequ
Bahadır
İlk kitabın etkisini veremese de güzel bir Trevanian kitabı. Çevirisinden kaynaklı anlam güçlükleri vardı kitapta. Yeniden elden geçirilirse hoş olur.
Dominick
Jun 30, 2013 Dominick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Hmm. Probably should be a 3.5 Sometimes, a sequel is not a great idea. The Eiger Sanction is a dandy thriller with a slight sideways twist to it that manages to satirize the genre while also playing it pretty much straight. Something curdled between that book and this one, though, as its tone is more caustic without being sharper--it often just seems bitchy rather than witty. The first third, especially, is a bit of a chore to get through, though as the book proceeds the action begins to compens ...more
Steven
Feb 19, 2013 Steven rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The followup to The Eiger Sanction is a competent but off-putting piece of work, and for the unlikeliest of reasons -- it's too good for its own good. Too conscientious a craftsman to be satisfied with simply recycling The Eiger Sanction, Trevanian tried to deepen Jonathan Hemlock's character while darkening the spy skullduggery (drawing inspiration from the Profumo scandal). The chief villain, while still over-the-top, is a figure of genuine menace whose soul-deep corruption leaves the reader l ...more
S.
May 11, 2013 S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trevanian's 1974 thriller is not bad, written as the 42 year old author's second book and followup to the '73 Eiger Sanction. Dr. Jonathan Hemlock, art historian and CII assassin, must deal with pain and loss in addition to James Bond-esque escapades, sexually dominant women, and London car chases in his subsequent adventures involving corruption at the highest levels of the British government, a very skillfully evoked very evil villain, and gunplay amidst the art world. this is not a "will chan ...more
Nancy
Feb 02, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like The Eiger Sanction, this is great fun. Both a thriller and a send-up of a thriller. I found it less engaging than Eiger and certainly not as wonderful as Shibumi, but still delightful and well worth reading.
Johnny Waco
I enjoy a good spy novel now and then, but I'm not a huge fan of the genre overall. As I read The Loo Sanction, I felt that this was truly a novel for those who devour everything in the genre. The novel's not bad--far from it--but neither is it exceptional. The plot of the nefarious Mr. Strange to secretly record the perverse sexual acts of Britain's most powerful people (apparently they're all consumed by their perversions) and to use these tapes for blackmail is clever enough, but many of the ...more
Kelly
Jun 03, 2014 Kelly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was just ok. The main character was just not that believable as an MI5 operative. Somewhat entertaining, I just felt like the story was disjointed. The ending was a disappointment as well.
Jorge Magano
Feb 07, 2016 Jorge Magano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prosa ácida y elaborada. Lectura ágil. Protagonista cínico, complejo, borracho, pendenciero y encantador. Ritmo endiablado. Intriga de espías con pinceladas de arte. ¿Cómo no gustarme? Buscaré la primera parte de esta breve serie: "La sanción de Eiger".
Marco
Jan 29, 2016 Marco added it
No es tan divertido como Eiger pero bueno...
Chris Ellis
Jan 23, 2014 Chris Ellis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it - good for a lot of laughs. This is essentially a spoof on James Bond type spy thrillers as evidenced by the title. It is nevertheless a good quick read with a smooth main character and plenty of interesting action.
Robert
Jun 16, 2008 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lot of fun, it's well written and the characterizations are interesting--especially The Vicar. I picked it up because I had seen "The Eiger Sanction" (the movie) back in 1975 (and many times since) and wanted to know more about the further adventures of Jonathan Hemlock, assassin and teacher/collector of fine arts. Trevanian didn't disappoint me. I had to pick up "The Eiger Sanction" halfway through "The Loo Sanction" and will read it down the road.
Elizabeth
This goes on record as one of the most horrific, traumatizing, pointless books I have ever read. Trevanian is a skilled writer; he couldn't have created such a nightmare of a book if he wasn't. But he is also a huge mysogynist. This is one of those books I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from reading. It is an extremely disturbing testament to human ugliness. I continue to have nightmares about it.
George Stankow
Jul 29, 2012 George Stankow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I miss Trevanian. He was never a prolific author, but each of them was a perfect little jewel. Even this one, his only sequel, is a knowing wink toward the very idea of the thriller sequel. While not approaching the deconstructionism of "Incident at Twenty-Mile," the second Sanction book shows that same sense of understanding the heart of the idea. Read this between more po-faced spy novels as a palate cleanser.
Jonathan Lu
Trevanian seems to have abandoned satire following the Eiger Sanction... this 2nd Jonathan Hemlock novel not only skips out all of the vivid climbing detail of the 1st, but is a legitamite spy book. Moderately interesting story with twists and turns that would do Ian Fleming proud. A good quick and mindless read that I'm surprised never was made into a film.
Tayfun SURUCU
Okumak işkence gibiydi benim için. Sibumi nasil akiciysa bu kitap da o derece durgundu. Asil karakter aktif görevinden ayrılmış bir ajan. Yalnız aktif görevinden ayrilmisken karakterimizin zaten heyecan ve merak uyandirmayan kurguda hiç aktif olamayisi kitabı sıkıcı bir hale sormuş. İleride akılda kalabilecek hiç bir kurguyu barindirmayan bir kitap diyebilirim.
Joe  Noir
The parody is broader here than in The Eiger Sanction and that may be why it's less "edge of the seat". It's still a good, fun, read. There is an art theft in this novel, and according to Trevanian.com, after the Italian version of this novel was published there was an art theft in Milan using the method described in this book.
Richard Miller
Nov 12, 2014 Richard Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending was a bummer.
Travis
Aug 05, 2011 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Rodney William Whitaker is great for the little details that you catch here and there, and want more of. I think you can see him working through, developing his "spy" novels as you go through Eiger and Loo and maybe he got where he wanted to in Shibumi. It's not James Bond, that just wouldn't be Trevanian.
Dianna
Started this and loved the writing style, but failed to realize until I started it that it wasn't the first in the series. Going to get the first book first.

Reminds me of Bond books, but I actually like it a bit better (I only got about 20 pages in, though).
Joshua Mark
I liked The Loo Sanction but not as much as The Eiger Sanction. It seems to me to lack the progression and pacing of Trevanian's other works. Still, I'd recommend the book. It has some really great moments and, of course, Trevanian's wonderful style.
Almustafa Couch
Good follow-up to "The Eiger Sanction" the character development (establishment) occurs in the previous book. This book is good and worth reading, it is action packed and similar to "An Expensive Place to Die "by Len Deighton.
Cindy
Apr 06, 2015 Cindy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
Interesting with developed cast. Sex, gore, avarice and lite language. Didn't care for ending but it had one. 2nd in series, standalone. Main character is atheist, so fair warning. Well narrated by Joe Barritt.
Erwin
Jan 06, 2013 Erwin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as Shibumi, but still very good.
Trevanian is much smarter than most. Every word is said half-jokingly, but a lot of folks don't get the joke. If you do, you will enjoy Trevanian's other books too.
The W
Jul 22, 2009 The W rated it really liked it
W rating: solid B

Much better. This book is an excellent sequel to The Eiger Sanction. More character and plot development throughout with an exciting build. Gruesome death in the beginning.

Read.
Briar Sangiuliano
Sep 13, 2008 Briar Sangiuliano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
second in the sanction series- not quite as good as the Eiger Sanction, but well written and same artistic detail. If you like Dan Brown, you will love Trevanian, plus he is more eccentric!
  • Satori
  • Shan (China Maroc, #2)
  • The Enemy
  • Shanghai
  • I Hate Martin Amis et al.
  • Nærmeste Pårørende
  • Von Ryan's Express
  • Body Language: What You Need To Know
  • In Nomine Dei
  • The Chancellor Manuscript
"Trevanian" was the pen name of American author Dr. Rodney William Whitaker (12 June 1931-14 Dec 2005). He wrote in a wide variety of genres, achieved best-seller status, and published under several names, of which the best known was Trevanian. From 1972 to 1983, five of his novels sold more than a million copies each. He was described as "the only writer of airport paperbacks to be compared to Zo ...more
More about Trevanian...

Jonathan Hemlock (2 books)
  • The Eiger Sanction (Jonathan Hemlock, #1)