Start by marking “Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice--Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice--Jane Austen

Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice--Jane Austen

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
The study of Jane Austen has been transformed in the last twenty years by readings which have grounded her work in contemporary politics and by feminist critique which has questioned her construction of subject positions for women readers.
Published December 1st 1994 by St. Martin's Press (first published 1949)

Be the first to ask a question about Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice--Jane Austen

Daniela Pace
Jan 17, 2016 Daniela Pace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preferiti
Tutto sembrava anzi portarla a chiarire finalmente i suoi sentimenti, e non aveva mai capito così sinceramente di amarlo tanto come ora, quando l'amore era vano.
#orgoglioepregiudizio #austen
Classico meraviglioso! La Austen ti permette di tornare indietro nel tempo, all'epoca dove le ragazze a 15 - 20 anni erano in età da marito, all'epoca in cui erano presenti grandi valori come la famiglia, la figura del padre e l'amore. Entriamo in questo mondo fatto di balli, carrozze con cavalli, e pettegole
Jo
Dec 19, 2007 Jo rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who like classic "novel of manners" lit
As one of several Xmas presents to myself, I was going to reread Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Then I saw Sense and Sensibilty on the shelf next to it, and I thought, "I'll read this first to gear up of P & P." I honestly can't remember whether I'd read this in an earlier life of not. It started a little slow, but there so much set up to make the later scenes resonate that I can see it was necessary. And once the set up was accomplished, the novel moves with classic Austen satire. There's a ...more
Alan
Feb 18, 2012 Alan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No good Italian word for "witty" or for "silly," so when Mr Bennett calls his younger daughters, "two of the silliest..." the translation (not M's) of "piu stupida" fails, as does "sarcasmo" for witty. Also, none for "folly," here "stupidaggine."
But Italian does very well with public appearances, so when Lydia makes a spectacle of herself, Italian captures it in one word, "figuraccia."
If JA's complex irony is lost in translation, her works become mere novels of money and marriage. Boring. Ma
Annika
Jan 18, 2016 Annika rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting but a bit boring at times
Eunice Mala
Mar 07, 2015 Eunice Mala rated it it was amazing
loved this book...
Margie
Sep 14, 2009 Margie rated it it was ok
Shelves: never-finished
I tried but I couldn't get through this book. It was a good story about 3 sisters, Elinor, Marianne, and Margaret and their quest to find a husband which apparently was the only thing that mattered back then. But the 19th century prose was very hard to get through. I got tired of rereading paragraphs trying to figure out what she was talking about. Plus nothing happened in the book. I would finish chapters in which the plot was not advanced and literally nothing happened. I decided instead to wa ...more
Perla Khattar
Mar 11, 2015 Perla Khattar rated it it was amazing
PERFECT
Marguerite
Sep 20, 2008 Marguerite rated it really liked it
Not sure how I missed Austen -- maybe the choice of a modern novel class in college -- but I've made up for that omission later in life. Both of these were gems. You'd never know Austen was a self-taught writer who never went much of anywhere. She's a keen observer of polite and impolite society, and her wit is reflected on nearly every page. That being said, I got a bit weary of the genre and haven't been tempted to read Austen's four other books. (Nor have I seen any of the movies/miniseries.)
Kyle Sonnabend-liberty
Jan 01, 2014 Kyle Sonnabend-liberty rated it did not like it
I hadn't read this classic, so thought I'd read it, but halfway through it I set it down and never finished it. It's back at the library now.
Celeste
Nov 02, 2008 Celeste rated it liked it
Currently sludging my way through this one again. This and Emma are my two most unloved books by J.A.--although Emma wins the prize for "books I really don't like."

I keep reading this hoping it will win me over like her other works, but it isn't looking good so far.
Mindy McClellan
I took an online Austen quiz to see which character I was most like. The results were that I was most like Eleanor, so I thought I'd go back and re-read one of my favorites! I'm loving it, almost as much as I loved the PBS version shown recently on t.v.
Louise Blake
Nov 07, 2008 Louise Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both of these books are all time favorites of mine. I have read them many times over the years and always find that as I get older different aspects of these books pop out at me from when I read them as a younger person.
Kieffala
Dec 30, 2009 Kieffala rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1001
I really enjoyed S&S. I hadn't read it before. Much more depth than some of her other books. P&P was good. I'd read it before. The suspense was fun as always.
Jeri
Sep 16, 2009 Jeri rated it really liked it
Enjoyed these both. I liked Prejudice a little better. Would read them again, but I'll still pick up Georgette Heyer first every time.
Sajel
Sep 23, 2012 Sajel added it
Finished Pride and Prejudice and it was just as good as my sister always raves, now I can appreciate the BBC's version too!
Steve Hemmeke
Aug 18, 2009 Steve Hemmeke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great depiction of human nature at its best, worst and in between
John
Good story, well written. I just didn't like it.
Wanda Kasmarzyk
Nov 13, 2008 Wanda Kasmarzyk rated it it was amazing
Another classic.
Mandelyn
Sep 01, 2008 Mandelyn rated it really liked it
witty and sarcastic
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Julia Crenshaw
Julia Crenshaw is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2016
Gayathri
Gayathri marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Harshita Singhi
Harshita Singhi marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Ioanna
Ioanna rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Mabe Alban
Mabe Alban rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2016
Wilma
Wilma marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Claire Leech
Claire Leech rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Ansley Spring
Ansley Spring rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Saza Castellanos
Saza Castellanos marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
  • Rules of Passion (Greentree Sisters, #2)
  • I Spy: Year-round Challenger: Year-round Challenger
  • Dawn: The Return of the Goddess
  • London 1945: Life in the Debris of War
  • The Short Oxford History Of English Literature
  • Newlywed Games
  • P.G. Wodehouse : Five Complete Novels (The Return of Jeeves, Bertie Wooster Sees It Through, Spring Fever, The Butler Did It, The Old Reliable)
  • Modernism: A Guide to European Literature 1890-1930
  • Le ragazze di Sanfrediano
  • The Great Tradition: George Eliot, Henry James, Joseph Conrad (Pelican)
  • The Man Who Laughs (SelfMadeHero)
  • Eleganta: A Novel of Fairykind
  • Mastering English Literature
  • The Cloister and the Hearth
Robert Clark is a novelist and writer of nonfiction. He received the Edgar Award for his novel Mr. White's Confession in 1999. A native of St. Paul, Minneapolis, he lives in Seattle with his wife and two children.

Clark's books touch on several genres but often return to questions centered in God: "Is there a God? Does he love us? Is he even paying attention?"
More about Robert Clark...