Start by marking “Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

Inferno: New Tales of Terror and the Supernatural

As stated in her introduction to Inferno, Ellen Datlow asked her favorite authors for stories that would "provide the reader with a frisson of shock, or a moment of dread so powerful it might cause the reader outright physical discomfort; or a sensation of fear so palpable that the reader feels compelled to turn on the bright lights and play music or seek the company of ot ...more
Published December 10th 2007 by Tor Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Inferno, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inferno

Dracula by Bram StokerThe Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeSomething Wicked This Way Comes by Ray BradburyThe Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan DoylePet Sematary by Stephen King
Reading for October Evenings
57th out of 165 books — 93 voters
Baby Teeth by Dan RabartsFresh Fear by William   CookRead the End First by Suzanne RobbZippered Flesh by Weldon BurgeDead Harvest by Mark Parker
Best Horror Anthologies
186th out of 352 books — 659 voters

More lists with this book...

3.5 stars. "The Monsters of Heaven" by Nathan Ballingrud is one of the best short stories I have ever read. It haunts me to this day. The rest of the stories are okay to excellent, but if you have a chance, seek out Ballingrud's story.
Riju Ganguly
Sep 22, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it
I had been an admirer of ghost stories and the "quiet horror" (although I never used to know it under that name) ever since I started reading fiction. Violence, especially if that is described to be taking place in the commonest possible circumstances (e.g. within the four walls of a drab room occupied by a family not that different from mine), or which involves loss & pain to people who can be actually felt for in everyday life (e.g. someone's children or wife getting lost or murdered or to ...more
A really nice collection of short horror and supernatural stories from very different authors, with each bringing their own style and touch to the subject.
Nora Peevy
Oct 02, 2011 Nora Peevy rated it liked it
Inferno was okay, not my favorite anthology edited by my favorite editor, Ellen Datlow. The concept was interesting. She wanted to edit a collection of horror stories not themed. She succeeded at this, but I just didn't find myself reading many of the stories and being really excited about them. I liked that the collection didn't include your typical horror monsters like vampires and werewolves. The stories are not bad; they just weren't really my favorites. The author selection was a good one; ...more
May 24, 2011 Hesper rated it it was ok
Not exceptional, but not terrible. Closer to 2.5 stars, but that's not an option.

The anthology's tile is the loosest of thematic underpinnings for this collection, which in itself is a far cry from the editor's stated aim of giving readers "a frisson of shock." Most of the stories are solidly written, but few sustain the kind of creepy, atmospheric suspense that can lead to the chills and thrills you'd expect from quality horror.

The better reads were "The Ease with Which We Freed the Beast" and
Nov 24, 2011 Daryl rated it it was ok
Ellen Datlow co-edited my favorite set of anthologies, The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror (21 volumes, 1987-2007), editing/choosing the horror half. Lots of good stories therein over the years, so I had high hopes for this collection. The cover copy states that her goal was stories (all original to this anthology) that "provide a frisson of shock or a moment of dread so powerful it might cause the reader outright physical discomfort; or a sensation of fear so palpable as to compel the reader to ...more
Jun 24, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror
More later. There's some good stories, but I thought the quality or better, edge, faded down the stretch. The collection started out great, with some pretty dark stuff, but by the end, with Datlow's old anthology, Terri Downing, delivering a by the numbers bore-fest, "The Suits Auderlene," I had had enough. In with a bang, out with a whimper. Stories to read:

"Riding Bitch," by KW Jeter
"The Forest," by Laird Barron
"The Monsters of Heaven," by Nathan Ballingrud

(Note: These 3 great stories are in
May 19, 2011 Dirk rated it really liked it
Anthologies like this are about the only place to find horror short stories these days, which is unfortunate because I think scary short stories are pretty awesome. The perfect length to read before turning off the light at night. And reading one right before bed is like dropping a little bit of mental lsd into your dreams.

Ellen Datlow has been doing the horror thing for a couple of decades now. She’s edited over 50 anthologies and won a ton of awards for doing so. The point is, if you are gonna
Dec 02, 2009 Julia rated it really liked it
All short stories in this anthology were written by award-winning authors, young and older. Most write for horror magazines where their stories are regularly featured, as well as write novels, many of which win the Bram Stoker Award. I love short horror/thriller fiction anthologies as the variety is excellent and the editor(s) are so dedicated to getting the anthology published.

Authors include: Terry dowling,(the suits at auderlene, 2007, Paul finch, Bethany's Wood , 2007Laird barron, The Forres
Oct 26, 2008 Res rated it it was ok
Shelves: sff
I have a rule for short stories: if I get to the end of the second page and I haven't encountered a human being whose fate I care about, I stop reading. This saves me a lot of time reading The New Yorker, and it means that of the twenty stories in this collection, I only read twelve all the way through.

I only liked four: Stephen Gallagher's "Misadventure," a quiet little story about a man who used to see ghosts; Joyce Carol Oates' "Face," which seems to be mostly about our horror of old age; Luc
DeAnna Knippling
Another excellent collection.

My favorites:

"The Monsters of Heaven," by Nathan Ballingrud, which is a story that I wish I'd written.

"Ghorla," by Mark Samuels, a horror story as if written by John Kennedy Toole and Guy de Maupassant.

"Face," by Joyce Carol Oates...part of her power as a horror writer is that you get the sense that no matter how horrific the things she writes are, she's pulling punches.

"Bethany's Wood," by Paul Finch, which I won't spoil but is a particularly fine example of a part
Sep 15, 2014 Josh rated it liked it
Decent! The premise is that these stories will be more unnerving than necessarily scary. The book really kicks in a few stories in. Laird Barron's story was reliably entertaining and unsettling, even if it doesn't hit the heights of some of his other ones (such as "The Men from Porlock"). There is a story in here, though, that is one of my all-time favorites (can't remember the name, unfortunately). It begins when a family finds out that their son died on a bus crash...except he soon returns hom ...more
Liviu Szoke
Așa-și-așa. Câteva povestiri foarte bune, câteva povestiri bune și câteva care nu știu ce caută aici. Un volum destul de bun per ansamblu, dar care nu e chiar atât de horror pe cât lasă de înțeles editoarea în prefață: că a ales povestiri terifiante, care să te bântuie mult timp după ce le-ai citit. Sunt mai mult povestiri care te fac să te simți mai degrabă incomfortabil, decât să te sperie, parcă autorii au vrut să mizeze mai mult pe poveste, decât pe atmosferă, ori asta parcă nu e chiar scary ...more
Mark Bukovec
Mar 19, 2008 Mark Bukovec rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of literary horror short fiction
Great original horror anthology. I really wish more like it were published. Lots of great authors deliver, particularly Lucius Shepard, Terry Dowling, and Glen Hirshberg.

I'm usually amazed by Jeff Ford, but his story really left me thinking "Huh?" and felt misplaced. The Elizabeth Bear story wasn't my cup of tea, either.

I'm keeping an eye out for stories by Nathan Ballingrud, whose "Monsters of Heaven" is excellent.
Muse Lystrala
May 18, 2014 Muse Lystrala rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2014-reads
A terrific book of contemporary horror stories, amongst which Pat Cadigan's 'Stilled Life,' and stories by Lee Thomas, Lucius Shepherd and Paul grant especially stand out.

There's a full review at Suite101
N.L. Riviezzo
May 12, 2009 N.L. Riviezzo rated it it was ok
I found most of the stories to be rather dull and not really living up to the 'horror' aspect of things. I honestly cannot name one story in the book that I truly enjoyed. I had been extremely hopeful on getting some honest-to-goodness horror but was left out in the cold.
Apr 07, 2014 Adina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
One word: disappointment. I was promised blood-curdling tales of horror and I got a collection of timid short stories that didn't even make me flinch. Maybe I should have read them late at night, by the flickering candle light, instead of going through them in broad daylight, who knows?
Jun 05, 2013 Jeremy rated it liked it
I would recommend only six stories: Misadventure, Lives, The Uninvited, Ghorla, Face (Joyce Carol Oates and feminist psychological horror),and Hushabye. The other fourteen disappointed, underwhelmed, bored, or had an interesting idea that was like a single without any runs being scored.
Jenn Li
Feb 19, 2012 Jenn Li rated it liked it
Ellen Datlow, my go-to horror anthologist, has really let me down this time. The collection is not bad--in fact a few of the stories, including the first one, are actually quite good. But the overall sense trying to search for a few diamonds in a coal mine.
Dec 16, 2008 H.N. rated it really liked it
This was probably more of a 3.5, but there were some quite excellent stories in it, so I'll bump it up on the strength of those stories.
H. Anne Stoj
H. Anne Stoj rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2009
خالد شعير
خالد شعير rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Patti rated it it was ok
May 13, 2013
Sheila rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2010
Kevin Gallan
Kevin Gallan rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2015
Deepak PS
Deepak PS rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2015
Caroline rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Paul rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2008
Laura Price
Laura Price rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Best New Horror 19 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #19)
  • Dark Delicacies (Dark Delicacies, #1)
  • Gathering the Bones
  • Haunted: Dark Delicacies III (Dark Delecacies, #3)
  • The Museum of Horrors
  • The End of the World: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • Futures from Nature
  • Bewere the Night
  • The Dark Descent (Collection)
  • Gallery of Horror
  • House of Fear
  • Ghosts by Gaslight: Stories of Steampunk and Supernatural Suspense
  • American Fantastic Tales: Terror and the Uncanny from Poe to the Pulps
  • The Year's Best Dark Fantasy & Horror 2012
  • He Is Legend: An Anthology Celebrating Richard Matheson
  • Mr. Gaunt and Other Uneasy Encounters
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...