Your Baby's First Year Week By Week

Your Baby's First Year Week By Week

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  514 ratings  ·  97 reviews
From the authors of the million-copy best seller Your Pregnancy Week by Week, a comforting companion volume detailing baby's first twelve months in the world.
Published September 20th 2000 by Da Capo Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Your Baby's First Year Week By Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Baby's First Year Week By Week

Kelly (TheWellReadRedhead)
My son is only 4 months old, but I've decided to stop reading this book each week. I bought it because I loved the week-by-week pregnancy book, but I soon realized I didn't like it so much for a baby book. I know the authors say that babies can hit the milestones listed before or after the week they are mentioned, but it still stresses you out as a mom when you read something like, "your baby should be sleeping x hours a night by now" and your baby is not. Babies are just too variable for a week...more
Elizabeth
Disclaimer: I did not finish this book. However, the reason I've decided to stop reading is that I've found some misinformation that has made me worry unnecessarily. If you choose to read this just take everything with a grain of salt.
Jennifer Logan
This book is really helping me and Steve feel better about bringing Baby Logan home. It has lots of good advice that is organized well
Kathryn
I read this cover to cover while I was pregnant with my first child and have since kept it around (along with a few others) to skim through or look up specific topics as needed. I'm now expecting my second child in a couple of weeks and pulled it back out to re-read about the first few months and help me get back into infant mode after being in the toddler mindset for so long. I agree with a lot of the reviews I've read, I don't think it would be as helpful to read week by week because babies al...more
Jerome
I would strongly recommend that parents avoid this book at all costs. It contains misleading and potentially harmful information that draws into question everything that these authors wrote. Errors and misleading information from the first twenty weeks includes (but is not limited to):
-Counting the months incorrectly. When my son was three months and a week, they were considering him to be four months. They will consider him six months a few days before he officially turns five months! Baffling,...more
Hilary
Each week contains information on average height and weight, milestones, what's happening this week, and has some targeted information that is starting to become relevant. This means rather than have a long introduction talking about bassinets, first aid kits, strollers, child-proofing, etc., one topic is introduced each chapter.

Some of these topics seemed a little like scare-mongering to me, and too time-specific. That may not bother some people, but I know plenty of people who have older baby...more
Brandy
A lot of broad information with some specifics of what's going on, developmentally, each week, which can be useful when you're watching the baby thrash around like a turtle on his back and you wonder if he's working on rolling over or just itchy. It suggests developmental games for each week, but a better source of them is found here. Organization is a little less than stellar, as each week in the book also contains non-age-specific information as well, and that non-specific information is reall...more
Margaret
Jul 29, 2010 Margaret rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new parents
Shelves: own, parenting
It is unreal to believe that this first year of my baby's life is coming to an end. Time has flown by so fast and we have so many more to look for in the future. This book has been great for us, and though I did not diligently read it a week it at time as it is laid out I did read the whole thing through out the past year and benefited from it. I was very interested in Glade Curtis' Baby's First Year, because his version of What to Expect in Your Pregnancy Week by Week was the best pregnancy boo...more
Jana
I was a big fan of the "Pregnancy Week by Week" version of this book. Not so much with this version. They lost me at four months when they suggested giving solids to infants (not recommended until 6 months by the American Pediatric Association) and then kept pushing baby foods long after my child was feeding herself finger foods. As with any conventional book, take all advice with a grain of salt if you're breastfeeding.

I also was not a fan of the featured illnesses that were emphasized every we...more
Roslyn Ross
*The RIE parents handbooks is a much easier to read and understand way to look at your baby's development over his first year. They have a simple chart that shows where the earliest 3%, 25%, 50% and 75% of babies are doing things like rolling over talking or walking. This book with it's "your baby may do this this week or he may have done it ten weeks earlier or he may do it ten weeks from now" was really annoying.
*This book was extremely establishment and full of all kinds of diseases to freak...more
Kristyn
Oct 20, 2009 Kristyn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mothers obsessed with Milestone checkoff sheets
Shelves: 2008, baby, books-i-own
I found this week by week reference mainly useful when my son was a small baby. By about six months or so it was sort of unnecessary to check on his progress that frequently, and a monthly reference was more appropriate. Anyway, I was diligent about reading this every week for the last year, and I think it became a small excercise in commitment for me by the end of the year. The information is generic, broad in nature, and accurate. I remember thinking some of it would have done me more good if...more
Monica Villa
Reading the 2010 edition. The writing is incredibly dry and some of the information seems like it's in the wrong place, but overall a good reference for a weekly perusal. Not for the type of parent that will worry if their baby isn't exactly on this timeline...
Lucy Bilik
First as a parent we have to understand that ALL babies develop differently! We as a parent want to push our child's development and he/she may resist your attempts. That is what my little guys has dome many times. In some areas he was ahead and some he was quite behind, but all in all he was developing within acceptable range.

I have read many other books and websites that list babies milestones and expectations and therefore was pleasantly pleased with this book. It lists a great variety of di...more
Patricia DRG
Great book, really gives you a good sense of what your baby should be doing and how you can help him/herr develop. Easy to read and not overloaded with useless info.

Added comments: So I still think this book is great for *typical* children. For children who face more challenges in their early years this book will just remind parents of the milestones their children have not reached yet. Delays need to be addresses and it is good to be aware if your child is delayed and get early intervention in...more
Virginia
I did like how this book broke down the year week by week (which I found easier to remember at first rather than months as most books break it out). However, I didn't really like the layout of the other information that was sprinkled throughout the book. I don't want to read about possible diseases or dangers and issues that may or may not be related to the current week that my baby is at. I would've preferred the author break those topics into a separate section so I could read about it on an a...more
Diana
Sep 24, 2008 Diana rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
I do not recommend this book to anyone, but especially not first-time moms. A fair portion of the information is incorrect and/or outdated. This book actually angers me because it is written as if it's stating fact, when it is not. The author seems to question the need for infants sleeping on their backs (!) while assuring the reader that a perfectly reasonable alternative to a CARSEAT while traveling is a VEST (this was in the chapter for 9 WEEK OLD INFANTS). Please do not buy or read this book...more
Heidi
I really didn't like reading about my baby on a weekly basis. It just seemed redundant. The milestones were basically the same for weeks! The only thing I really liked about this book was that it had fun games to play with your infant each week. Elizabeth really enjoyed the games we played! I definitely liked the What to Expect the First Year better. It was better to break the milestones and info down into months as opposed to weeks, But this book did have a lot of good information.
Amanda
So I read this book one chapter every week and made it last the whole year, (Thank you to the library who let me renew it so many many times!). This was my favorite of the 'guide' to the first year books. Practical advice, nicely paced, and not so much of the doom and gloom read about everything that can go wrong that some other books have. There were some great feeding tables as well and I loved their sections on toys and play. All in all I would definitely recommend this to new parents.
Erinn
I read this at the end of 2006 and beginning of 2007, after a while it was hard to keep up with. You just don't have that much time to read when you have a new baby, plus it was hard to figure out if I was reading the right week or not. Still it was priceless when I did read it. It was good at letting me know what sort of games to play with my baby and how he was developing each week. It was also nice to be able to compare how big he was and his development against the average baby.
Kelli Oliver George
This is a useful book but is very detailed and a bit cumbersome. Particularly, for a new mother it can be overwhelming to be presented with so much information at once - not even taking into fact that a new mother really should be reading US Weekly in her free time because her brain needs a BREAK. Furthermore, a "month by month" version would have been more useful. A paranoid mother does NOT need this book lest she find herself saying "OMIGOD, it's Week 15 and he's not waving bye-bye??"
Little
Each week this "helpful" book introduces new developmental steps that your baby will not meet (he's saying "aaah," good, but he's not rolling over! Oh no!), new games to foster development that you will forget to play (I was so busy talking about the laundry I was folding all day long that I didn't play this-little-piggy even once! Oh no!), and even new diseases that your baby will probably never catch (this rash could be scabies and not just rug burn? Oh no!). Thanks, but no thanks.
Erinn
My low opinion of this book is most likely due to it being a rather old edition. I loved it with my first baby, but it's been 7 years and I quit reading it after a few months because I got so irritated at outdated information. There was information that was placed too late to help the baby and parent and it's information on breastfeeding and the benefits of breastmilk was woefully ignorant. I started correcting my copy because it bothered me so much, and I HATE writing in books.
Wendy
Nov 02, 2007 Wendy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: new parents
This is a very useful, practical and supportive parent book. It's short enough that you actually read it (remember you are busy with a baby) and it has a combination of consumer tips, safety, development, games, food recommendations, and solutions to common problems. The advice is balanced enough to be useful without being judgmental (or alternately - too wishy washy).

Highly recommend to parents of babies whether first baby or not.
jennifer
I enjoyed this book. It is always interesting to see what will be coming up next in your babies development. I will worn you don't accept these guidelines as a standard. I do feel that many of the developmental achievements were expected earlier than what most babies achieve. As a new mom you hear it over and over (because it is true!) Every baby develops at a different pace. Coming from a mother of twins, I've seen this firsthand.
Deborah
Great book for basic information. I refer to it all the time. It's not information overload. My second child was totally off from their milestones. He walked at 9 1/2 months and weighed significantly more than what the book said he should, however, the other information was very close. Like I said, it is a good reference for moms and is very simple to read which is great when you have a baby to take care of.
Amy
I read this book faithfully every week for the past year, and for the first 6 months, it was really accurate (or pretty close). Then all of a sudden, it got...not accurate. "At 7 months old, your baby should be reading, doing long division, and speaking in complex sentences." I exaggerate, of course, but that's what it felt like. SO! My advice? Read the book but take it with a grain of salt after 6 months.
Dana
Josh and I both faithfully read Your Pregnancy Week by Week. We assumed we would like Your Baby's First Year just as much. I'm still reading it, but Josh stopped. The weekly update is too much at this point. We found ourselves worrying if Jackson wasn't on the book's schedule. While we know every baby is different, we just were getting too worked up!
Stephanie
I finished this book completely even though my son is only 5.5 months. I have a few issues with it mostly that it defaults to formula feeding rather than breastfeeding which was annoying. If I'm correct there were no references to breastfeeding in the book. Also thought it was way too broad. I was looking for more specific information.
Erica
I thought this was better than "What to Expect the First Year." It seem s a bit more updated. I love the week by week format. You can read a few weeks behind and ahead of where your baby actually is to get a general idea of what she should be doing. Take it with a grain of salt, though, as every baby goes at its own pace.
Lindsay
ugh! I didn't like this book too much. I always felt like my baby was way behind where she should be. It would say things like "Your baby may be pulling herself up onto furniture by now" but she was only 6 months and not even close to crawling yet! I'd recommend the American Academy of Pediatrics version of the same book!
  • Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • The Baby Sleep Book: The Complete Guide to a Good Night's Rest for the Whole Family
  • The Baby Whisperer Solves All Your Problems: Sleeping, Feeding, and Behavior--Beyond the Basics from Infancy Through Toddlerhood
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child
  • The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood
  • Touchpoints: Birth to 3 : Your Child's Emotional and Behavioral Development
  • The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on Baby Furinture, Equipment, Clothes, Toys, Maternity Wear and Much, Much More!
  • The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers:  Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep
  • The Complete Organic Pregnancy
  • Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads
  • How to Raise an Amazing Child the Montessori Way
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Eat, Sleep, Poop: A Complete Common Sense Guide to Your Baby's First Year--from a Pediatrician/Dad
  • The Wonder Weeks: How to Turn Your Baby's 8 Great Fussy Phases into Magical Leaps Forward
Your Pregnancy Week by Week Your Pregnancy 6th ed+Your Baby's First Year 2nd ed: Week by Week Gift Set Your Pregnancy For The Father-to-be: Everything Dads Need To Know About Pregnancy, Childbirth, And Getting Ready For A New Baby Your Pregnancy After 35 Revised Edition Your Pregnancy Questions and Answers