Start by marking “The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection” as Want to Read:
The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection

The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection (The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror #1 - year 1988)

This groundbreaking anthology inaugurates an exciting new annual tradition—a giant collection of the greatest fantasy and supernatural stories published in 1987.
Published July 15th 1988 by St. Martin's Griffin (NY) (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Year's Best Fantasy First Annual Collection

DeAnna Knippling
When I started the anthology, at first I felt robbed.

I hadn't read this one before, so most of the stories were new to me, but I have read other books in the series, as well as other things that the editors have done together.

I wasn't prepared to come back to it. Not only have both fantasy and horror moved on since this came out, but it was kind of a game changer at the time.

I don't often say this, but--I want that world back, not the one where 80s horror novels were blunt instruments of vanit
Erik Graff
Feb 15, 2010 Erik Graff rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: literature
This is a creditable attempt to do for fantasy collections in the eighties and beyond what Judith Merrill did for science fiction collections decades before. I don't usually like fantasy very much, but a lot of these items were quite good.
Kenny
May 20, 2012 Kenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great Anthology, first of the series. All the stories are worth reading, but some I like more than others. My favorite is "Fat Face" by Michael Shea. Also has an excellent year-in-review for an introduction. Highly Recommended.
Richard Leis
Jun 05, 2015 Richard Leis rated it it was amazing
It took me over a year to read this 1988 collection of short stories selected by Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling, but it wasn't because of any problems I had with the anthology. I'm rating this 5 stars for a very good reason: nearly ever story in the collection are themselves 5-star worthy. Some stories overwhelmed me so much with their greatness that I had to take a break to process them, which led to gaps in my reading this anthology when I fell into reading some other book. Every time I came ...more
Kit
Aug 03, 2014 Kit is currently reading it
Shelves: fantasy, anthology

I love anthologies, and I thoroughly enjoyed Datlow's The Faery Reel, so... ?.? stars

Buffalo Gals, Won't You Come Out Tonight by Ursula K. Le Guin * *
A strange story about a girl who apparently falls out of a plane, and is found and helped by Coyote and other desert denizens.

A World Without Toys by T. M. Wright * * * *
Alex and Blanche from the historical society are interested in an old house found under a street. The house has toys in the attic.

DX by Joe Haldeman * * *
A day in the life of any

Susan
Lake George in High August • (1987) • shortstory by John Robert Bensink
C
John
Jun 18, 2015 John rated it it was amazing
Sorry for virtually the same review on whole anthology set

I own a Book Club hardcover edition.

I started this anthology with the 5th Annual and I loved it so much I started collecting the whole set including finding copies of those before it.

What sets this anthology apart from many others is that I always find two or three gems within its pages, many liked stories and very few I have to force myself through. More importantly, from those people I have noted who read these anthologies too, they say
O. Ouellette
Some of the short stories were very imaginative, funny or even a little inspirational, but most of them were mediocre and seemed either half-heartedly thrown together or not very well developed. Some of them were just plain random. It makes me sad when I read an anthology and feel like I could have done better than the writers in the book...and I don't think I'm too arrogant, so I don't feel this way often. At times, I almost felt like I was reading contest entries for the L. Ron Hubbard writing ...more
Chris
So I can say that I liked George R.R. Martin before it was cool because his story "The Pear Shaped Man" is the story that I remember the most from this collection. And it is one of those stories that holds up to a re-read. Yolen's short fiction and poetry are also good. But watch out for these cheese curls with Martin. Honesty, you thought you get worried about characters dying? You have to worry about cheese curls now.

There are several quiet fantasy stories here as well and a Le Guin that is qu
Millerbug
Jan 28, 2008 Millerbug rated it liked it
This anthology was ok. I was expecting more I think. It was more horror than fantasy, and even the horror was questionable, there were a lot of stories about serial killers. My favorite stories were Buffalo Gals, Won't You Come Out Tonight by Ursula LeGuin. DX a poem about Vietnam by Joe Haldeman. Ever After by Susan Palwick, Cinderella and Vampires...
Csucskari by Steven Brust. Uncle Dobbin's Parrot Fair by Charles DeLint, Words of Power by Jane Yolen and The Maid on the Shore by Delia Sherman.
Scott
Oct 14, 2010 Scott rated it liked it
The first volume in what would become The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror. Nothing really memorable apart from the Jonathan Carroll story.
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2012
Gavin
Gavin rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
David Gorgen
David Gorgen rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2013
Michelle Partidge
Michelle Partidge rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2011
Cody Darkstalker
Cody Darkstalker rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
Michael William
Michael William rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2015
Jody Rose
Jody Rose rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2012
Lauren Burnham
Lauren Burnham rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2009
Susan Pence
Susan Pence rated it it was amazing
Jul 28, 2013
Mickey
Mickey rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2010
Sierra
Sierra rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2013
Lesley
Lesley rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2012
Beth Barker
Beth Barker rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2011
Kay Sundstrom
Kay Sundstrom rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Jim May
Jim May rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2011
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2013
  • Smart Dragons, Foolish Elves
  • Grails: Quests of the Dawn
  • Flights: Extreme Visions of Fantasy
  • The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year, Volume 1
  • Best New Horror 15 (The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, #15)
  • Nebula Awards Showcase 2012
  • The Thackery T. Lambshead Cabinet of Curiosities: Exhibits, Oddities, Images, and Stories from Top Authors and Artists
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Thirteenth Annual Collection
  • Flashing Swords! #1
  • Uncle Dobbin's Parrot Fair (Newford) (PULPHOUSE short story paperbacks #17)
  • Outsiders: 22 All-New Stories From the Edge
  • Coffee: 14 Caffeinated Tales of the Fantastic
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • Treasures of Fantasy
Ellen Datlow has been an award-winning editor of short science fiction, fantasy, and horror for over twentyfive years.

She is editor of the Best Horror of the Year and has edited or co-edited a large number of award-winning original anthologies. Her most recent are Supernatural Noir, Naked City, Blood and Other Cravings, The Beastly Bride, Teeth, Trolls Eye View, and After (the last three with Ter
More about Ellen Datlow...