Start by marking “The Philosopher's Club” as Want to Read:
The Philosopher's Club

The Philosopher's Club

Published June 1st 1993 by BOA Editions

To ask other readers questions about The Philosopher's Club, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Philosopher's Club

Hasan Makhzoum
Oct 29, 2016 Hasan Makhzoum rated it liked it
I have read Addinizio's poems in English and Arabic (An Anthology gathering 60 poems is translated by the Lebanese poet Samer Abou Hawash; Al-Kamel Verlag, 2009).

Addonizio is the feminine equivalent of Bukowski.. This analogy came up to my mind even though I have not read yet her autobiographical pieces in Bukowski In A Sundress.. Probably because of the booze and the explicit language: she defines herself as "Emily Dickinson with a strap-on" and she get drunk at poetry conferences.
With the freq
Suzanne
Jan 19, 2009 Suzanne rated it liked it
Presently, this book is running close to $40 used on Amazon, so unless you're a collector--and maybe not even then--you probably shouldn't buy it right now. Wait until it gets reprinted and Kim gets the money. Then again, maybe it won't get reprinted... so many good books don't. Read it if you can get your hands on it.

Anyway, it's a good read... frank and simply stated--for a smart chick! Full of characters that reflect people you know, or wish you did. I didn't ear-mark any pages... probably be
Jessica
Apr 01, 2015 Jessica rated it really liked it
Having read Lucifer at the Starlite last year, I've really fallen in love with Addonizio's work and style. Although I have to read more of her poetry for a class, it's been worth it and not felt like a chore at all. For a debut, The Philosopher's Club is rather impressive. I see the hints of enigma that would become a part of Addonizio's style in her later works as well as strong, strong imagery that dominates her free verse. I will say that, like with all debut poetry collections, it's not perf ...more
Nancy
Sep 11, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it
Kim has such a gritty point of view, and it really polishes her poetry into something that even those who don't "get" poetry will understand and resonate with. I took a couple of private classes from Kim in the 90's and just getting to know her a little bit helped me to see that her writing very clearly reflects who she is: upfront, straightforward, good-hearted and really present to the detail of everyday life. I never get tired of reading her work.
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Jan 31, 2017 Edmund Davis-Quinn rated it liked it
Shelves: library, poetry, biblio-ct
This took me a while to get into but I really enjoyed it once I sunk my teeth into it yesterday.

Libraries and having due dates are very good things. I checked out a couple poems when I first checked it out a couple months ago. But reading it out of order got me going. That and needing to return it.
Al-anoud Al-Sarhan
Jun 02, 2016 Al-anoud Al-Sarhan rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Brilliant work,I am head over heels for the simplicity of her language yet the complex sum of emotions and feelings invested in every poem,sensual ,real and touching.First poem for you was almost a portrait of a moment I've shared with someone special .i could not have put it or described it better than Addonizio
Timothy Green
Nov 25, 2008 Timothy Green rated it it was amazing
Speaking of sonnets, this book taught me to love them. Addonizio at her best.
David Jordan
Apr 28, 2010 David Jordan rated it it was amazing
Tough-girl poetry. Edgy, insightful and understandable.
Mills College Library
811.54 A2274p 1994
Elizabeth Thorpe
Elizabeth Thorpe rated it really liked it
Oct 25, 2016
josephine
josephine rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2008
Andrea Shoup
Andrea Shoup rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2014
Betsy Small
Betsy Small rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2011
Dennis
Dennis rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2007
Richard
Richard rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2013
Jason Huff
Jason Huff rated it it was amazing
Dec 16, 2012
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2012
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2008
Chad Hall
Chad Hall rated it liked it
Dec 11, 2011
Autumn Hausman
Autumn Hausman rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2016
Mike Essig
Mike Essig rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2015
William Soule
William Soule rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2009
Cathryn Cofell
Cathryn Cofell rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2011
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2007
Laure-anne
Laure-anne rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2008
Steven
Steven rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2014
Cathryn Shea
Cathryn Shea rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2015
Cassandra
Cassandra rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2008
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2010
Maggie
Maggie rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I'm the author of several poetry collections including Tell Me, A National Book Award Finalist. My latest, My Black Angel, is a book of blues poems with woodcuts by Charles D. Jones, from SFA Press. I published The Palace of Illusions,, a story collection, with Counterpoint/Soft Skull in 2014. A New & Selected, Wild Nights, is out in the UK from Bloodaxe Books.

Due summer 2016: Mortal Trash, a
More about Kim Addonizio...