Start by marking “How to Write Short Stories for Magazines - And Get Published!” as Want to Read:
How to Write Short Stories for Magazines - And Get Published!

How to Write Short Stories for Magazines - And Get Published!

With tips, quotes and inside angles from magazine editors and writers, this is a lively, practical guide to writing short stories. The author covers not only good writing, but also how to market your work.
Published February 1st 2009 by How to Books (first published July 25th 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about How to Write Short Stories for Magazines - And Get Published!

Becka Sutton
Jul 01, 2009 Becka Sutton rated it it was ok
When I first started reading this after I bought it I wondered if I'd made a mistake. It deals primarily with the type of short fiction you find in Women's Magazines like "Woman's Weekly" and "Best", and this is not a genre of fiction I generally read or write.

However on the principle that a short story is a short story I persevered. I thought I might still get some value from it, and I did, but not much.

The stuff about characterisation and plotting was especially useful. The viewpoint chapter i
Preethi Venugopala
Aug 15, 2016 Preethi Venugopala rated it really liked it
Some good ideas as to what makes a short story work. I liked some chapters more than others. The story examples are of the genre that I like to read and write. The writing exercises prescribed are also good.
Gary Turner
Informative and a great step by step guide to creative writing techniques. However what lets this guide down is the spelling mistakes and grammar. You would think that a book reprinted three times could have found a copy editor who could spell.

For example; page 48; 'A sketchpad which suggests means he might be an artist'( 'suggests' or 'means' not both. Page 75; 'That(s) it! I remember that woman now. I met her at (the) Morrison's.' Page 79; [...] I'll leave that (to) your imagination.' Page 108
Christopher Meades
Sep 18, 2013 Christopher Meades rated it did not like it
Sniggered? Hissed? Smiled? These are the author's suggestions as speaker attributes.
This advice couldn't be more harmful to an aspiring writer.
Editors & agents actually scan pages for alternatives to 'said' as a way of finding a quick reason to pass on a manuscript.
Here's the advice...
From the book:
ALTERNATIVES TO ‘SAID’ Since a short story needs to contain so much dialogue, it’s important to think of other ways of saying ‘he said’. Some people think it doesn’t matter and that if you have l
Susan Jones
A useful resource for the novice writer. I have not really read it cover to cover but dipped into the book. A handy book though
Austin James
Mar 14, 2011 Austin James rated it it was ok
Shelves: writing-books
I was expecting so much more... Not only were there typos (which particularly upsets me with a writing book)... But I didn't find the advice to be good. Some of it was even bad in my opinion. I particularly didn't like that the author discouraged the use of "said" in the short story form (or at least suggested that it can be easily overused)... The complete disregard for the online short story market annoyed me the most. This book read more as an advertisement for the two magazines this author s ...more
Susan
Aug 28, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: writers
Shelves: books-on-writing
A useful guide for the novice short story writer. Got some great ideas out of it.

I don't like her short stories though, they are the type of stories you forget as soon as you are done reading them. Her style is nothing special, the stories are nice and cute and lukewarm and lack any spice or life.
زاهي رستم
Jan 19, 2012 زاهي رستم rated it did not like it
Shelves: ebook
I am very sorry, coz I cant finish this book. Its for native readers, just for American. I think its not very useful for nonnative readers like me.
Dang Ole' Dan Can Dangle
Mar 21, 2012 Dang Ole' Dan Can Dangle rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Some good advice, some bad advice, a lot of advice most people already know. Maybe worth a skim through.
Tina
Nov 16, 2012 Tina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
first 2 chapters very informative, the rest is the same old, same old.
Stewart
Bought this year
Snehal
Snehal marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Chandrika Rao
Chandrika Rao marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Alain
Alain added it
Jul 07, 2016
Saskia
Saskia rated it liked it
Mar 19, 2016
Peter
Peter added it
Feb 11, 2016
Dannii Elle
Dannii Elle marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Ibrahim
Ibrahim marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Laura-Jo Popland
Laura-Jo Popland rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Shiran Ze
Shiran Ze rated it it was ok
Aug 08, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Ido
Ido rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Gemma Collins
Gemma Collins rated it it was ok
May 28, 2015
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Cathy
Cathy rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Mister
Mister added it
May 12, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
I've written six novels, including the bestselling The School Run, and The Wedding Party, which was nominated for Love Story of the Year by the Romantic Novelists Association.

My first novel, The School Run, was recently reissued as an exclusive ebook. It has been a Kindle Top Ten novel and reached #1 in Amazon's Women Writers and Fiction chart.

My popular novel Mums@Home has just been reissued as
More about Sophie King...