Start by marking “Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)” as Want to Read:
Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont, #10)

Without Due Process (J.P. Beaumont #10)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  2,158 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
What kind of monster would break into a man's home at night, then slaughter him and his family? The fact that the dead man was a model cop who was loved and respected by all only intensifies the horror. But the killer missed someone: a five-year-old boy who was hiding in the closet. Now word is being leaked out that the victim was "dirty." But Seattle P.D. Homicide Detecti ...more
Published October 1st 1993 by Avon (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Without Due Process, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without Due Process

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordGreen River, Running Red by Ann RuleThe Boys in the Boat by Daniel James BrownSchooled by Christa CharterPwned by Christa Charter
Books about Seattle
26th out of 34 books — 15 voters
The Horse and His Boy by C.S. LewisDune by Frank HerbertThe English Patient by Michael OndaatjeThe Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-ExupéryDesert Solitaire by Edward Abbey
The Desert
266th out of 298 books — 54 voters

More lists with this book...

May 17, 2014 Marti rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
For me, this was the best yet of the Beaumont series. It was fast moving, the characters were all interesting, and the story elements were interesting. As the novel opens, we see Beaumont and his partner, Big Al answering a call that turns out to have been the brutal murder of one of Big Al's closest friends along with his entire family including the dog. The murdered cop was one of the few African-Americans on the Seattle police force and Beau's "old buddy" Kramer wants it an open and shut race ...more
Jan C
Jul 11, 2014 Jan C rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, police, audio, 2014
Beau and Big Al get called to a familiar address when an officer down call goes out. Turns out it is to an address where a good friend of Big Al lives. Plus, the call came with a warning that families of cops would be shot. They get to a crowded, bloody scene where Ben, his wife and three children were slaughtered with a knife. Beau is basically trying to keep Big Al from seeing his friend's body. They hear a noise from the closet. It turns out that one of the three dead boys was a neighbor and ...more
Lynn Sykes
Oct 20, 2016 Lynn Sykes rated it really liked it
This one started out slow, but it got much better.
Brenda Benoit
Aug 12, 2016 Brenda Benoit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorites of the series so far. There were a few laugh out loud moments, including when Beau was lecturing Ron Peters about how he really needs to get a cell phone installed in his car - Beau who is about as technologically averse as they come. I was happy that Ralph paid another visit to Beau as I love his character. Ron had a nice role in this story too and I would love to see Tony Freeman make appearances in future books. The story itself was fast moving and really made it h ...more
Mar 15, 2014 Susan rated it really liked it
This is the latest of this series that I have read. Pretty good mystery and you didn't have to read all the others to understand the history.

H R Koelling
Nov 10, 2008 H R Koelling rated it liked it
My girlfriend's father gave this book to me because he thought I might like it. I wasn't thrilled with the prospects of reading it, but I ended up thinking the book was pretty cool. It was a good book to read before bed because most of the chapters are relatively short. And I could remember what happened with the plot if I didn't have a chance to read it for a few days.

My introduction to detective Beaumont was a great beginning to Nance's work. I just might read more of her books if I come acro
Oct 03, 2010 Marti rated it really liked it
This is the last paperback JA Jance suspense novel I have until I discover one at a book sale. I shall have to check the local library to see if they have any. This is as usual well written and enjoyable. Beau's friend and financial advisor Ralph is visiting, and helps out especially when Beau brings home a little boy who was witness to the slaughter of his family. Unfortunately for the police force, THEY end up being villains as a number of them are involved in the case. One could become addict ...more
Mar 28, 2013 Marca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cop and his family are slaughtered, but one small child, who was hiding in a closet, is missed and survives. The officer was a much-respected man, but there might be some evidence that the officer was on the other side of the law. It’s up to Detective J.P. Beaumont to protect the child (who saw the killer) and to find out what the deceased officer was up to. Lots of action and characters to follow, but worth reading.
Pr Latta
Read 20 years after publication, #10 in the JP Beaumont mystery series delivers a solid police procedural even if he seems surprised at a home fax and "cellular" phones are rare. With the Space Needle firmly in the background (strong Seattle sense of place), this title brings in racial tensions, gangs (and a bit of hope), corruption, Ralph Ames, Ron Peters, Big Al, and introduces Sue Daniels. I probably enjoy the ensemble feel even more than the mystery.
Donna Mcnab
Apr 13, 2013 Donna Mcnab rated it really liked it
When a Seattle Police Officer is found murdered in his home, together with his wife and children, a task force is set up to investigate. Although Detective J. P. "Beau" Beaumont and his partner are initially put on the case, they are included only periphally in the investigation. However, as it begins to appear that police officers may have played a part in the murders, Beau is very much involved in the search for the perpetrators. Another great J. P. Beaumont novel!
Mar 30, 2015 Jeanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this story about J. P. Beaumont solving the murder of a fellow officer and his family. I liked the human side of the story, with the concern for the one child that hid from the killer, and now is in jeproday, because he saw the killer. The evidence says maybe it's a racial crime, or gang related, or maybe a bad cop. It's up to Beaumont and his trusted officers to track down the killer and get him off the streets.
Dan Smith
Jun 25, 2016 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing
Beaumont, laid back detective... but never gives up. One of his associates and his family are murdered and the rumor is that the guy was a bad cop. But there was no indication and Beaumont had reason to believe that someone was trying to ruin the dead mans reputation.. He and Big Al, his partner, step outside the lines that had been given them to solve the murder...

Great story. Good characters
Aug 02, 2012 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Ms. Jance's books a lot. I've read about 2/3 of the ones featuring J. P. Beaumont, probably the same of her Joanna Brady series and most of the series featuring Ally Reynolds. The main character in each of these series has a distinct personality and they're not at all alike except in their determination that justice be done. Ms. Jance is one of my very favorite mystery writers.
Bruce Snell
Dec 19, 2014 Bruce Snell rated it liked it
Book number 10 in the J.P.Beaumont series by J.A. Jance - 3 stars. Beaumont is assigned to work the case of another cop and his entire family being killed. Typical, reliable Jance - not something to cause the reader to rethink his view of the world, but certainly able to entertain for a few hours.
Gary Proctor
Nov 06, 2011 Gary Proctor rated it it was amazing
This was easily one of my favorite if not the favorite of the Beaumont series thus far (#10). It started out fast and had me interested from the start. It was sad and humorous in the way that only JP can be as he works to uncover the killer of an Officer and his entire family. Touching and engrossing. A great read!
Fredrick Danysh
Mar 06, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it really liked it
A Seattle police officer and his family are killed in their home. The only survivor is a small boy. Homicide detective J.P. Beaumont and his partner are regulated to the second team due to their relationship to the slain officer who is suspected of being dirty. There are leads that suggest police officers were involved in the murders.
Oct 14, 2015 Megargee rated it really liked it
In this 10th in the Beaumont series, Beau is back from rehab and staying sober as he
is once again teamed up with Big Al to solve the slaughter of Al's former partner, Gentle Ben,
his family, and even their dog, Spot, in their home and protect Ben's surviving son, a toddler
who witnessed the killing.
April Hochstrasser
Apr 13, 2011 April Hochstrasser rated it really liked it
If you want a murder mystery where the least likely person turns out to be the killer, this is it. I like all the sub-plots and possibilities Judith pursues. She writes well, but I especially like her JP Beaumont character because it is set in Seattle.
Ginger Weirich
Feb 20, 2016 Ginger Weirich rated it it was amazing
When a mild-mannered cop and his entire family are murdered, it looks like the Seattle gangs might be going nuts. But all is not as it seems, and this tale is as convoluted as they come. Another excellent story from J. A. Jance. J.P. Beaumont is becoming a regular fixture in my home. 5 stars.
Aug 17, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#10 in the J.P. Beaumont series.

#10 - Seattle police detective J.P. Beaumont seeks the murderer of a fellow officer and his family. Conflicting clues indicate the slain officer was involved in secret activities; other clues indicate police officers may have been responsible for the killing.
Jan 19, 2010 Krystal rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
This was a fairly good book. I first found this author by listening to one of her books on tape. This one was part of a series, but worked fine as a stand alone as well.
Oct 04, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it
Beau gets caught up in a case involving police corruption and the murder of a cop and his entire family. Who can you trust?
Jun 23, 2014 Roxy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book touches on police corruption and gang violence. I enjoy this series because the plotlines are suspenseful, based in modern reality and because Beau solves the case!
Nov 30, 2012 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: legal
This was a great, fast paced, book. I listened to it as I walked, nearly missing a turn and hating for my walks to come to an end.
Apr 09, 2015 Ricardo rated it liked it
This is the first book by Jance that I find more than just average. Entertaining and fast-paced read
May 14, 2009 Peggy rated it it was amazing
I really like all of Jance books. They are easy to read and I don't want to put them down. The ending is usually a surprise.
Jan 09, 2009 Merry rated it liked it
J.P. Beaumont, like Stephanie Plum, feels like a friend. I always enjoy taking a day to help JP solve another mystery.
Nov 12, 2014 Mum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This tale is one of the reasons I continue to read this author. The squirrelly parts were not "off the charts" as they occasionally become. A good read!
Jan 01, 2014 Mike rated it really liked it
A policeman and most of his family is executed, except for his 5 yr old son, who saw the killer. Another Beaumont whodunit.
Dec 06, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
Good book. Entertaining and really makes you want to stay up late to keep reading! I really enjoy this series!
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire (Barbara Holloway, #13)
  • Maximum Security (Marty Nickerson, #3)
  • Blind Bloodhound Justice
  • Voodoo Ridge (A Cordell Logan Mystery, #3)
  • Beyond Recognition (Boldt/Matthews, #4)
  • So Sure Of Death (Liam Campbell, #2)
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Ask the Cards a Question
  • Who in Hell Is Wanda Fuca? (Leo Waterman, #1)
  • Winter's Child (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #12)
  • The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...

J.P. Beaumont (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont, #1)
  • Injustice for All (J.P. Beaumont, #2)
  • Trial by Fury (J.P. Beaumont, #3)
  • Taking the Fifth (J.P. Beaumont, #4)
  • Improbable Cause (J.P. Beaumont, #5)
  • A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)
  • Dismissed with Prejudice (J.P. Beaumont, #7)
  • Minor in Possession (J.P. Beaumont, #8)
  • Payment in Kind (J.P. Beaumont, #9)
  • Failure to Appear (J.P. Beaumont, #11)