Start by marking “A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)” as Want to Read:
A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont, #6)

A More Perfect Union (J.P. Beaumont #6)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,717 ratings  ·  71 reviews
A shocking photo screamed from the front pages of the tabloids--the last moments of a life captured for all the world to see. The look of sheer terror eternally frozen on the face of the doomed woman indicated that her fatal fall from an upper story of an unfinished Seattle skyscraper was no desperate suicide--and that look will forever haunt Homicide Detective J.P. Beaumo ...more
Mass Market Paperback
Published by Avon Books (first published November 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about A More Perfect Union, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A More Perfect Union

Green River, Running Red by Ann RuleSchooled by Christa CharterHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordPwned by Christa CharterUntil Proven Guilty by J.A. Jance
Books about Seattle
10th out of 31 books — 10 voters
Me Before You by Jojo MoyesThe House at Riverton by Kate MortonThe Secret Keeper by Kate MortonThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Distant Hours by Kate Morton
2013: The Over 35s favourite books of 2013
127th out of 430 books — 85 voters

More lists with this book...

Marti
Since I had been somewhat disappointed by Taking the Fifth, I was wondering if my "love affair" with Detective Beaumont was at an end but this novel convinced me that was not the case. This novel to me is the best in the series so far. It was fast-paced and the characters were interesting and well-developed. In this installment, Beau discovers a dead body floating near a movie set where Beau is unhappily working. Since he's tied up on the hated movie assignment, the case of the dead man goes to ...more
Neil Mudde
A good yarn to read on a rainy afternoon, interesting characters, but nothing too earth shattering, I actually thought Beaumont was a woman, and thought this to be a lesbian story, well that is not the case
John
Great book by a great author. I love her writing and anyone buying her books needs to look at her website and read the books in order.
Susan Gaska
I'm working my way through the J. P. Beaumont books, they're good, of course it's not brilliant literature, but they are well written with good plot lines and move along quickly. A fine little mental vacation. The further in I get the more I like them, in the beginning his love life sort of irritated me, but it's more of an even keel now, and each one does seem a little stronger.
Bruce Snell
Book number Six in the J.P.Beaumont series by J.A.Jance - 3 stars. While Beau is assigned to work with a movie crew he discovers the body of a murdered man. Although he is not assigned to the case, Beaumont becomes involved in the investigation. This is a typical Jance story - thinly drawn characters, dialog that doesn't quite sound real, and action/plot without depth. This is a lightweight story, but it moves well and fills a couple hours of reading time without really losing itself on my life. ...more
Marie Joyner
Enjoyable

Enjoyable

I like this book.I read this book during my commute home from work. It made my commute less stressful. If my train was late, I didn't mind because it gave me more time to read.
Fredrick Danysh
Detective J.P. Beaumont is assigned as technical director to a police movie being filmed in Seattle. When the floating body of an iron worker is found on the movie set, Beaumont investigates even though he is not assigned to the case. Lots of intrigue make for an interesting read with the usual Jance style.
Chris
Beau is assigned as technical adviser for a movie set and he is bored to tears, well maybe not tears, but close. Then a body floats up to the dock they are ready to film on. Everyone...except Beau...believes he is a suicide or accidental death. Next, on the front page of the newspaper is the picture of a young female ironworker falling to her death from the top of an unfinished skyscraper. Then it clicks for Beau who remembers the floating body had a belt buckle that said "ironworker"... hmmmm c ...more
Heather Blaylock
This JP Beaumont book was not as good as some of the others. I found it a little dull. It was okay but it was a little hard to get through.
Gizzard
Older police mystery. Nothing great or horrible. Good way to pass some time.
David Weinfeld
enjoyable book, good Beaumont follow through. Union theft leading to murder
Donna Collier
Enjoyable, fast read. Nothing special, but always a good vacation series!
Diana
Another great book from JA Jance. A really good whodunnit :)
Kay
Very much enjoyed the book. Can't wait to see the scrapes that JP gets into in future books. The snake was funny in this book.
Denise Johnson
Good book. I love the J.P Beaumont series
Brenda Wilkins
I like this series, but this was my least favorite. Beaumont was on a quest to.get one up on an officer he disliked. Some of the sections, like the one in the basement just wouldn't happen to an experienced officer. I thought the section on the developments tally disabled man was especially well written. I've worked with this population for many years and usually find authors reinforce the stigma. While I would recommend reading this one as part of the series, I just wasn't dazzled by the story ...more
Carol Hassett
another good mystery by my favorite author
Donna Mcnab
While working as an advisor for the Seattle Police Department on a movie set, Detective J. P. Beaumont becomes involved in finding a body on the set. The murder is handed over to two other police detectives due to the fact that Beaumont is already assigned to the movie to make sure that the movie doesn't make the Seattle Police look too foolish. Of course that doesn't keep him from doing his own investigating, much to the chagrin of his Sergeant. Another fun Beaumont novel.
Rrshively
This book has a 1988 copyright, so I have read J.P. Beaumont books that are more recent. I always enjoy J.P. Beaumont mysteries. If I were comparing this to all mysteries instead of all books, I would give it 4 stars. In this book it is difficult to discern the good guys from the bad which is always a good way to keep the suspense going. This is also the first book in which J.P. encounters Kramer. For readers who follow this series, that should be interesting.
Renee
Rolling along in the JP Beaumont series (catching up to the next crossover with Joanna Brady) This outing finds Beau working a movie set and loving every minute of it. Well, no. He hates it. All of it. I enjoyed the critique of movie policing through Beau's eyes. The case involves a few dead bodies and a lot of union corruption. Enjoyable, but not necessarily memorable, it moves the characters along and deepens relationships among the regulars.
Juli Monroe
Like all the Beaumont books, it's a quick read without much plot complication. I enjoyed it, and I hope Jance is going to deal more with Beaumont's obvious alcoholism in the next books. I also want to see Peter make it out of the hospital.
Carol
J.A.Jance is such a fun read. I enjoy the J.P. Beaumont series. This book was number 6 in the series. We find Beaumont, a Seattle cop, working as a technical adviser for a movie company. He manages to get himself mixed up in a mess of corruption and murder, after a body floats up on the movie scene...I like the style of Jance. The reader feels right at home. There was only one small glitch towards the end...
Cherisse
Andrea
A construction worker's(female) fall off a high rise under construction.

The fall was captured by videos ordered by the construction company. Who is to blame?
J.P. Beaumont takes a position opposite of the constructors that the fall was an accident.
Will he be able to prove it and avoid many more deaths?
Jim
This was not one of my favorite novels by this author. It was okay, but I expected more. I'm not sure why I did not care for it. I suspect it was a lot of little things like too many coincidences, dumber that average good and bad guys, and a less that satisfactory conclusion. I hope the next one is better.
Maria
good.. at times i begin to think that J.P. Beaumont is just really lazy and doesn't care about things, but then he's also really caring towards victums and stuff. this series always keeps me reading to find out more. this story had a few too many names of the bad guys/victims to keep track of.
Laura Beasley

Good story. Lots of action and then the end came very quickly. Liked the main character but would have liked to know more about his background. Also the fact he drank a little too much did not add anything to the story. Quick read. Will read more by this author.
Linda Van
She lives in Seattle and in Arizona and the settings in her books are these two places. Joanna Brady is a Sheriff in an Arizona town and J P Beaumont is a homicide detective in Seattle. Very entertaining books!
Jelle
Maybe it's the book, or maybe it's the Dutch translation riddled with spelling errors, but this book really wasn't my cup of tea. I grant it two stars for effort. But that's rather generous.
Nadine
J.A. Jance is my favorite mystery author, and she didn't let me down with this novel. J.P Beaumont is supposed to be on vacation, but just can't stay out of all the detective action.
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Cast In Stone (Leo Waterman, #2)
  • Chasing A Blond Moon: A Woods Cop Mystery (Service, #3)
  • By Stone, by Blade, by Fire
  • Borderlines (Joe Gunther #2)
  • Capture (Butch Karp, #21)
  • The Big Gamble (Kevin Kerney, #7)
  • The Forgotten (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #13)
  • Cry Dance
  • Hunting Season (Anna Pigeon, #10)
  • Undercurrents (Boldt/Matthews, #1)
  • In Plain Sight (Joe Pickett, #6)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • The Bone Vault (Alexandra Cooper, #5)
  • Foul Play (Sofie Metropolis, #3)
  • Dance for the Dead (Jane Whitefield, #2)
Judith Ann Jance is the top 10 New York Times bestselling author of the Joanna Brady series; the J. P. Beaumont series; three interrelated thrillers featuring the Walker family; and Edge of Evil, the first in a series featuring Ali Reynolds. Born in South Dakota and brought up in Bisbee, Arizona, Jance lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington, and Tucson, Arizona.

Series:
* J.P. Beaumont
* Joann
More about J.A. Jance...
Desert Heat (Joanna Brady, #1) Until Proven Guilty (J.P. Beaumont #1) Fire and Ice (J.P. Beaumont, #19 / Joanna Brady, #14) Betrayal of Trust (J.P. Beaumont, #20) Partner in Crime (J.P. Beaumont, #16 / Joanna Brady, #10)

“seven others still on the loose.” 0 likes
“Screwed up and incomprehensible as it may seem to a rank outsider, making a movie is a lot like living life. You work with little bits and pieces without ever getting a look at the big picture. It comes together gradually, in order or out of it, with no discernible pattern.” 0 likes