Start by marking “Fat Tuesday (Thomas Black, #4)” as Want to Read:
Fat Tuesday (Thomas Black, #4)

Fat Tuesday (Thomas Black #4)

Fat Tuesday: A Thomas Black Mystery, by Emerson, Earl W.
Published June 12th 1988 by Fawcett Books (first published 1987)

Ed
Feb 04, 2012 Ed rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Crime Fiction fans
Not the best that Emerson is capable of. The Seattle-based story jumps around and there are more sub-plots than necessary for an interesting book. Maybe he decided to unload a bunch of ideas he's been carrying in his head and do it all in one book.

That said, I still enjoyed the novel and plan to continue to read his other offerings.

Thomas Black, the main protagonist and his long-time good friend Kathy Birchfield, a lawyer, are asked to investigate a situation in which Fred Pugsley, a bike enthu
Ed
Dec 18, 2012 Ed rated it really liked it
#4 in the Thomas Black series. Black is the wise-cracking, bicycle riding, Seattle Private Investigator who works for lawyer Kathy Birchfield.

Thomas Black series - Fred Pugsley receives a dead rattlesnake in the mail and ex-Seattle cop Thomas Black and lawyer Kathy Birchfield, are called in to investigate. When they get there, Fred is dead, and his stunned wife sits clutching a tool used on racing bicycles -- the murder weapon. But the wife says she's innocent, and suddenly there are plenty of
Karlie Nyte
Sep 07, 2015 Karlie Nyte rated it really liked it
I found that the sarcastic and poetic descriptions used by the private detective in this book are wonderful. He sounds like someone I would enjoy hanging out with on the scene in Seattle, where the book is set. I enjoyed reading about the way that he interrogated each person involved in the murder, and his interactions with his best friend, a female lawyer, were hysterical. If you enjoy murder mysteries with humor, take time to read this book.
Andrew
Jun 08, 2012 Andrew rated it really liked it
I like a novel where the location feels like one of the characters - something that couldn't be set in another locale, at least not easily. This book was one of those - the pages were woven through Seattle and the Puget Sound area throughout.

Plenty of suspects, I guessed wrong (as usual).

I am definitely a fan of Earl Emerson's.
Shelly
Nov 10, 2014 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good puzzler, with interesting, well-drawn characters and a vivid setting. Didn't realize this was 4th in a series but it didn't make a difference in my ability to enjoy it. I will look for the others in this series.
Monty
Jul 23, 2008 Monty rated it really liked it
I really enjoy reading the Thomas Black mysteries because they are set in Seattle where I live and the charachters and plots are fun. This book and Rainy City (the first of the series) are the best ones I've read so far.
Jeff Dickison
Dec 17, 2012 Jeff Dickison rated it liked it
Fair Thomas Black mystery as he has to investigate the murder of a husband and his wife. The problem: This book has too many characters to keep track of. I felt I needed a cheat sheet to remember who was who.
Jun 02, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book was very clever and enjoyable. The killer was sick twisted and sadistic, and the main character was well written. Flawed, but extremely intelligent and likeable.
Charisse
Mar 06, 2009 Charisse marked it as to-read
Recommended to Charisse by: Seattle Books
Julie - have you read any of this guy's stuff? He has new novel out and the older ones looked good.
Dulcy Neeley
Dulcy Neeley rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2010
Harry Campbell
Harry Campbell rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
Melissa Wilson
Melissa Wilson rated it liked it
Feb 11, 2016
Sandy Buzzelli
Sandy Buzzelli rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2014
Dale Rosso
Jan 02, 2014 Dale Rosso rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Love the Thomas Black series, great story.
Quillracer
Quillracer rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Ron Decaigny
Ron Decaigny rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2010
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2011
Pam
Pam rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2011
Terence
Terence rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Susan Rial
Susan Rial rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2011
Stephanie Coleman
Stephanie Coleman rated it liked it
May 30, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2013
Shane Morlan
Shane Morlan rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2015
Ryan Stamper
Ryan Stamper rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2009
Candace
Candace rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2013
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2010
Trey
Trey rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2008
Jaci Mach
Jaci Mach rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2012
Greg
Greg rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2011
  • The Medici Dagger
  • The Bum's Rush (Leo Waterman, #3)
  • Agatha Christie's Detectives: Five Complete Novels: The Murder at the Vicarage / Dead Man's Folly / Sad Cypress / Towards Zero / N or M?
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • The Blue Corn Murders (Eugenia Potter, #5)
  • Chain of Evidence
  • A Bullet for Cinderella
  • Waterworld
  • Pride and Predator (Ben Reese, #2)
  • Strange But True: Mysterious and Bizarre People
Earl Emerson is a lieutenant in the Seattle Fire Department. He is the Shamus Award-winning author of Vertical Burn, as well as the Thomas Black detective series. He lives in North Bend, Washington.
More about Earl Emerson...

Thomas Black (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Rainy City (Thomas Black, #1)
  • Poverty Bay (Thomas Black, #2)
  • Nervous Laughter (Thomas Black, #3)
  • Deviant Behavior (Thomas Black, #5)
  • Yellow Dog Party (Thomas Black, #6)
  • The Portland Laugher (Thomas Black, #7)
  • The Vanishing Smile (Thomas Black, #8)
  • The Million-Dollar Tattoo (Thomas Black, #9)
  • Deception Pass (Thomas Black, #10)
  • Catfish Cafe (Thomas Black, #11)