Start by marking “Cat and Mouse” as Want to Read:
Cat and Mouse

Cat and Mouse (The Danzig Trilogy #2)

3.52  ·  Rating Details ·  3,680 Ratings  ·  174 Reviews
To compensate for his unusually large Adam’s apple—source of both discomfort and distress—fourteen year old Joachim Mahlke turns himself into athlete and ace diver. Soon he is known to his peers and his nation as “The Great Mahlke”. But to his enemies, he remains a target. He is different and doomed in a country scarred by the war.

Cat and Mouse was first published in 1961,
Published March 17th 1997 by Vintage Classics (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about Cat and Mouse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cat and Mouse

Ioannis Anastasiadis
Το ‘Γάτα και ποντίκι’, ένα από τα διασημότερα μυθιστορήματα του Γερμανού νομπελίστα, αποτελεί το δεύτερο μέρος της ’τριλογίας του Ντάντσιχ’, η οποία καταπιάνεται με την άνοδο του Ναζισμού κατά το διάστημα του μεσοπολέμου και κατά την διάρκεια του Β’ Παγκοσμίου Πολέμου ..Το Ντάντσιχ, η γενέτειρα πόλη του Γκυντερ Γκρας (1927), ανακηρύχτηκε ελεύθερη πόλη με την λήξη του Α’ Παγκόσμιο Πόλεμο, προσαρτήθηκε από τη Ναζιστική Γερμανία το 1939 κ ενώθηκε με την Πολωνία με το πέρας του πολέμου ως Γκντανσκ α ...more
Robert Beveridge
Feb 11, 2008 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it
Shelves: finished
I first read Cat and Mouse without the benefit of having read The Tin Drum beforehand, and I missed a lot. Cat and Mouse is the second book in Grass' Danzig Trilogy, three books that look at life in Danzig under the Nazi regime from three different points of view (the tales are told concurrently, and time can be fixed by seeing the same event from different points of view; for example, the picnic taken by the jazz trio and Schmuh in Book III of The Tin Drum shows up towards the end of Cat and Mo ...more
Yousra
من جديد ... هي رواية تم ترشيحها لي .... أمسكت بها في معرض عام قلبتها في يدي ثم وضعتها في مكانها، وها أنا قد حصلت عليها وقرأتها من خلال معرض عام .... وربما لو لم يتم ترشيحها لي ما كنت قرأتها أبدا

مراجعات وتقييمات الرواية غاية في الإحباط وأخص بكلامي مراجعات القراء العرب ممن قرأوا نفس الترجمة تقريبا، بينما لا تعطي المراجعات الأجنبية أي نوع من وسائل القياس

الرواية محبطة فعلا لمن يبحث عن قصة وعقدة وأحداث أو مغامرة ... الترجمة غريبة فقد كنت افاجأ بألفاظ غاية في القبح والمخالفة لما قد أقبله وأتعجب م
Jeremy
Oct 29, 2016 Jeremy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
And the cat and the mouse? Are there stories that can cease to be?

The second of Grass’s three Danzig-based stories is a novella that echoes the first, The Tin Drum, deliciously; overtly, there are several cameos and crossovers, including Oskar’s appearances at various points and the life of the Catholic Church and the Dusters gang, but also in mood and theme, if somewhat more compressed and focussed. This time, we have a chiefly bodiless narrator, constantly trying his best to not be in the stor
Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal
Aug 12, 2016 Ahmed Mahmoud Gamal rated it did not like it

تكملة قراءة هذا القىء هو بمثابة التكفير عن جميع الذنوب التى ارتكبتها فى الماضى والتى سوف أرتكبها فى المسقبل
لعن الله الملل يا أخى .الروايه لمن يريد التكفير عن ذنوبه وبما انى لا انوى هذه الايام ..فلن اكملها ..(يعنى على دخله رمضان كده
Tanuj Solanki
Apr 12, 2014 Tanuj Solanki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, favorites, german
Overshadowed, in literary discourse, by The Tin Drum. Exceptional three and half hour indulgence. 'The Baltic the colour of thick-glass seltzer bottles,' he says. 'Rain is a binder,' he says. 'I, Pilenz - what has my first name got to do with it - formerly an altar boy dreaming of every imaginable future, now the parish hall secretary, just can't let magic alone,' he says.
Helen
Apr 14, 2015 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ll
If you've only read The Tin Drum, and you're looking for more Gunter Grass to read, this is the book for you. It's short and straightforward and quietly devastating.

Beautiful and heartbreaking, this is a story about two school friends, taking place in Germany during World War II.

Pilenz is one of a crowd of teenaged boys who like to hang out together at the beach, occasionally swimming out together to a partially submerged Polish minesweeper. Mahlke is just a kid who wants to belong.

But Mahlke
Kopinjol Baishya
Jul 20, 2013 Kopinjol Baishya rated it it was amazing
Cody
Mar 24, 2016 Cody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: germany, favoritism
I honestly don't know how anyone could give this less than 5 stars. (Taste being subjective, I understand that we like what we like.) It's flawless, without an ounce of fat on it. After finishing The Tin Drum yesterday, I started Cat and Mouse this morning. Having had the chance to finish it this evening, I'm still sitting here, some hours later, floored by it. Achingly beautiful and haunting. If you're looking for The Tin Drum II, this isn't it. Better yet: it's an entirely different animal wit ...more
Octavio Villalpando
Oct 24, 2013 Octavio Villalpando rated it liked it
Ésto es lo más cercano a "realismo mágico" que he leído en un autor alemán. Nos narra los acontecimientos en la vida de Mahlke, visto por los ojos de uno de sus condiscípulos. Grass logra crear un universo alterno, bastante realista, plagado de anecdotas.

Se supone que es la segunda parte de una trilogía, no he tenido el gusto de leer los otros dos libros que la conforman, pero seguramente lo haré, me gusto mucho el estilo de escribir del autor, a quien no había leído...
lavinia
Jan 23, 2013 lavinia rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This is the kind of book that has a very specific flavor. I remember reading The Tin Drum years ago and, at the time, I liked it a lot, so I was very looking forward to reading this one. Unfortunately, although it has Gunter Grass written all over it and the storytelling is very attractive, I just couldn't relate to the book in any way.

The story is about a young boy who gets very good at swimming, is very well respected by his friends, is rather ugly and, well, has really great sexual performanc
Begoña
Feb 25, 2013 Begoña rated it really liked it
"Desde aquel viernes sé lo que es el silencio. El silencio se produce cuando las gaviotas dan la vuelta y se van. Nada es capaz de provocar mayor sensación de silencio que una draga trabajando, cuando el viento se lleva en sentido contrario su estrépito de hierro. Pero el mayor silencio lo produce Joaquín Mahlke, al no contestar a mi ruido."

"El gato y el ratón" forma parte de la llamada "Trilogía de Danzig", junto con "El tambor de hojalata" y "Años de perro". Günter Grass desarrolla la infancia
Rachel
Jul 09, 2007 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
If Germans were the ones known for magical realism, I think Cat and Mouse would kind of define the genre--dead pan, literal, and packed with tall tale-ish exageration more than pure and unbelievable magic.

This is a story of two boys going about the very personal business of being boys, amidst the great geopolitical upheaval of their time. While their lives at times intersect with BIG history, it is the personal revolutions, ups and downs that define the narrative and motivate the characters.

I
Hanipal Hamilcar
May 21, 2015 Hanipal Hamilcar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: سرديات
إن مابدأ بقط وفأر يعذبني اليوم في شكل طائر خطاف البحر ذي العرف الذي يحوم حول البرك التي تحيطها نباتات الأسل :(
lärm
Oct 04, 2016 lärm rated it really liked it
Not as mindblowing as 'The Tin Drum' but still way above average.
The style has a Gombrowicz touch (in my opinion). And that takes some effort to appreciate.

Kenneth
Not a great, or, really, even a coherent novel, but Grass' "Tin Drum" is better, and his "Crabwalk" is sheer genius. So, don't judge Grass too harshly based on this rating!
فهد الفهد
القط والفأر

الجزء الثاني من ما اصطلح على تسميته بثلاثية دانتسغ، والتي تضم إلى جانب هذه الرواية روايتي (الطبل الصفيح) و(سنوات الكلاب)، وتسمى ثلاثية دانتسغ نسبة إلى المدينة التي ولد فيها غونتر غراس، وكتب رواياته الثلاث هذه عنها، ودانتسغ كانت مدينة – دولة فيما بين 1920 م وحتى 1939 م، قبل أن يستولي عليها الألمان في الحرب العالمية الثانية – وقد تعرض غراس لهذا في روايته الطبل الصفيح، وخاصة قصة معركة مكتب البريد البولندي -، ثم آلت بعد ذلك إلى أن تصبح مدينة بولندية وتغير اسمها إلى غدانسك.

وكنت قد كتبت ع
Matthew
Jan 27, 2015 Matthew rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book because I became fascinated by the city of Danzig (today known as Gdańsk, Poland)when looking through some old papers my mother sent me and learning my great-great grandmother met my great-great grandfather met there (both ethnic Germans). This led me through a vast array of wikipedia articles, and the history of this place on the Baltic Coast is turbulent and fascinating. I have much to learn.

Admittedly, I prefer novels that evoke a sense of place over nonfiction history b
Hanne
Oct 31, 2012 Hanne rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics

This book reminds me a little of the Great Gatsby, only i liked it better. It has the same neutral, absent narrator who talks to us about this man he knew: Joachim Mahlke. Mahlke is mysterious, a little weird, but none-the-less someone the narrator looks up to: the great Mahlke. (And this is not me inventing that nickname, it is actually used in the book).

The story takes place in Danzig, currently known as the Polish city Gdansk, during the early 1940s. It is however not your normal war-book; t
Maureen
Jul 24, 2008 Maureen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: novel
This is the middle book in Grass' Weimar trilogy, and as such, it is an unusual middle child. It does not suffer from the neglect the middle usually receives, because it is a different type of book, and stands alone. Nowhere as magical as The Tin Drum, it is still a story that has an other-worldly quality to it, because the principal characters are schoolboys growing in Weimar Germany. Joachim Mahlke, the main character, dives for artifacts from a half-sunken minesweeper. His greatest treasure, ...more
Leah
Jul 10, 2016 Leah rated it did not like it
Von Grass' Bessessenheit mit sämtlichen Körperflüssigkeiten...
Ach herrje, was soll ich sagen? Mit diesem Buch hatte ich einen noch schlechteren Start als mit der Blechtrommel. Während in diesem Buch nicht Oskar wie besessen auf der Trommel hämmert, gibt es hier einen distanzierten, weniger bunten Erzähler. Das war auch das einzig Schöne.
Ansonsten nimmt Günter Grass kein Blatt vor dem Mund, erzählt vom Urinieren, Onanieren und Spucken. Ich weiß jedenfalls nicht, woher er die Begeisterung nimmt s
Ayla
Feb 26, 2014 Ayla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in German and I simply do not like it. I did not like the writing style: I was always re-reading sentences, trying to match the parts that belonged together. I have nothing against long sentences, but I do hate the 'Klammerkonstruktion', which is used a lot. And seriously, how much can you obsess over one man's adamsappel? I kept waiting for the story to lead to something, but sadly, it did not build to anything. There did not seem to be a point to the whole story.
I know Günter
ahmed sami elwakeel
بعد ما خلصت الروايه دى
I FEEL LIKE WT THE FAA@#@#$$ !!
وبعد ما قريت اخر ورقتين بعنوان ( عن الكاتب والروايه).
I FEEL LIKE O.M.G
انا بفضل الروايات اللى من النوع ده تبقى قصه قصيره والقارئ يطلق العنان لخياله
ودى المتعه الحقيقيه
طبعا يكفى للى هيشتريها اخر ورقتين فقط لا غير
Ahmad Sharabiani
Aug 22, 2012 Ahmad Sharabiani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, 1001-book
449. Cat And Mouse, Günter Grass
موش و گربه - گونتر گراس (فرزان روز

رمان «موش و گربه» را «نشر و پژوهش فرزان روز» فراهم نموده، «مالکه» شخصیت اصلی داستان است و راوی آن را نقل میکند، راوی همه جا در کنار اوست، انگار همان «سانچو» که همراه «دنکیشوت» بود، رویدادها نیز چون نیک بنگریم، همان رویدادهای «دنکیشوت» است. ا. شربیانی
Eng Mohmad
Jul 13, 2015 Eng Mohmad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
الرواية اثرت فيا جدا ..اظن ان الترجمه ضعيفه وظلمت الرواية الاصليه ..فكرة الطفل الذى يحاول ان يحقق النجاح لمدارة احساسه بالنقص ..وطرق الوصول للنجاح حتى ولو كانت السرقه ..فكرة الانتحار بعد كل هذة النجاحات لمجرد حرمانه من تحقيق اهم حلم فى حياته ..واختيار نمان الانتحار فى المركب الغارق الذى حقق فيه بداية انجازاته والذى كان بمثابة انه يعد قبره منذ طفولته..
David
May 17, 2011 David rated it really liked it
There is a great deal going on in this work for it being such a small book. Wistful, emotionally-gripping, vividly described, no excessive ornamentation, this book is a wonderful little gem. It is a strange one, but delightfully so. I chewed right through it; I couldn't put it down. After how much I liked this one, I'll definitely be checking out some other Grass.
carl  theaker
A remembrance of Grass' mid-teen years through a friend, Joachim Mahlke.
Grass' usual effective, nostalgic look at kids growing up, in this
case WWII Germany, doing all the things young boys do everywhere,
memorizing statistics of airplanes and battleships, having secret hiding
places, enduring routines, and going off to war.
Deea
Oct 26, 2014 Deea rated it did not like it
Shelves: nobel
Joachim Mahkle is nothing like Oskar Matzerath, nor is this book as good and full of humor like "The Tin Drum". Reading it was boring and the book was a disappointment.
Barbara McEwen
2.5 - Having read the Tin Drum first I had high expectations. This is a simpler story and while it was good I didn't really connect with Pilenz or Mahlke.
Amir Reza Liaghat
یک کتاب فوق العاده !! تصویر پردازی و انتخاب کلمات عالیو سیر داستانی ای که اصلا از یک خط صاف پیروی نمیکنه و هر جوری دوست داره میگذره !!!
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. combine editions request 12 36 Dec 23, 2013 07:15AM
  • The German Lesson
  • Simplicissimus
  • Professor Unrat
  • Indian Summer
  • The Last World
Günter Wilhelm Grass was a Nobel Prize-winning German novelist, poet, playwright, illustrator, graphic artist, and sculptor.
He was born in the Free City of Danzig (now Gdańsk, Poland). Since 1945, he lived in West Germany, but in his fiction he frequently returned to the Danzig of his childhood. He always identified himself as a Kashubian.

He is best known for his first novel, "The Tin Drum" (1959)
More about Günter Grass...

The Danzig Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Tin Drum
  • Dog Years

“Suppose you're teaching math. You assume that parallel lines meet at infinity. You'll admit that adds up to something like transcendence.” 3 likes
“Y cuando el corredor dijo amén, allí estaba él, con la clara ventana frontal a la espalda, entre la secretaría y la dirección: él, el Gran Mahlke, pero sin ratón, porque llevaba en el cuello el singular objeto, el abretesésamo, el magneto, lo contrario de una cebolla, el trébol galvanizado de cuatro hojas, el engendro del buen viejo Schinkel, la golosina, el aparato, la cosa cosa cosa, el no-quiero-hablar-de-eso. ¿Y el ratón?” 1 likes