Start by marking “Mine Eyes Have Seen: A First-Person History of the Events That Shaped America” as Want to Read:
Mine Eyes Have Seen: A First-Person History of the Events That Shaped America

Mine Eyes Have Seen: A First-Person History of the Events That Shaped America

Imagine being able to go back in time, through four colorful centuries of American history, to witness the most memorable events that shaped our nation. By bringing you nearly 150 first-person accounts of such pivotal moments, Mine Eyes Have Seen offers a direct link to the past, from the earliest days of our struggles for independence, our expansion into new territories, ...more
Published June 24th 1997 by Touchstone (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Mine Eyes Have Seen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mine Eyes Have Seen

Jun 07, 2014 Isin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Any History lover
I didn't read this book cover-to-cover. There isn't a point. It's everything you learned in your 7th grade history class, no new, informative information in it. However, it features words said by people from that time period, and we see how they truly felt about what was taking place. We get a feel for the people, not just the history.
So, if you're learning something about American history and you're getting really into it, it's good to have this book laying around, so you can pause, pick
Jun 12, 2015 Beverly rated it really liked it
Really interesting--about 120 events in US History with a first person account (diary, letter, journal, etc.) I love the conversation between Jefferson and Adams, debating about which of them should write the draft of the Declaration of Independence, as described by Adams. Adams gives Jefferson 3 reasons that he (Jefferson) should write it: he is a Virginian, he is popular and he is a better writer. Jefferson then says "Well, if you are decided, I will do it as well as I can." (p 37)
Ethan Kile
Nov 09, 2015 Ethan Kile rated it really liked it
Interesting Nonfiction collection of first hand accounts of U.S. History. Very interesting
Sep 18, 2011 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: history, reference
An interesting reference-type book of events in US history, told through first-hand accounts.

The first-hand accounts are what make the book really interesting -- it's not just another history book or book about history, but it has little snippets of accounts (taken from autobiographies, collections, newspapers, court reports, 911 calls, etc.) from people who were actually there.
Oct 06, 2012 Bree rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
an odd mix of stories
some are violent and have strong language
didn't come away from this book feeling like I knew more
mildly entertaining at best
Oct 26, 2012 P rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Entertaining for U.S. history lovers. Proves once again that primary sources are always the best, but snippets are very short.
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2016
Brittany is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2016
Katie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Isaac Plouch
Isaac Plouch marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2015
N Palmer
N Palmer rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2015
Cassie marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Megan marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2013
Ella rated it liked it
Mar 04, 2013
Jacqueline is currently reading it
Jan 12, 2013
Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2012
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Eli rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
Bill Ellingboe
Bill Ellingboe rated it it was ok
May 23, 2011
Sophie marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2011