Start by marking “Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)” as Want to Read:
Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)

Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  363 ratings  ·  36 reviews
For the past twelve years that private investigator Bill Smith has owned his cabin in the woods in a small upstate New York town, he has used it as an escaping, a place of refuge, never letting city life or his work intrude. All that changes, however, when Eva Colgate, a local farmer, summons Bill to meet with her. She wants him to quietly recover some recently stolen poss ...more
Published September 1st 1999 by Minotaur Books (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Stone Quarry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stone Quarry

Hobart
I feel a little awkward about this one, because I haven't found (read: made) the time to review the previous book in the series, but I just finished this one and didn't want to put it off, in case I forgot the experience. So far, the Bill Smith novels in this series haven't thrilled me -- they're interesting, they deliver what they promise, it's fun to see these two from a different perspective, etc. But I just don't like them as much as the Lydia Chin novels.

Until now. (you saw that coming, did
Hallie
By far the bleakest of the books - up to where I've read, at any rate! Most of it is seeing more of Bill's misery (his tragedy is THE tragedy above all others for me, just about) and his serious drinking problem as a result. He and Lydia have a bit of a coolness, which was sad too, but I still love seeing them (all right, it's mostly her) articulating how their partnership/friendship needs to evolve, and they work it out. Of course the mystery was sad and awful too, but nowhere near beyond toler ...more
E.L. Lindley
I love S.J. Rozan's Lydia Chin/Bill Smith series and I particularly like the way Rozan alternates perspective with each story. Stone Quarry is the turn of Bill, who is something of an enigma. There are hints of a troubled past and his relationship with Lydia is complex and each of his stories see, both us and his partner, removing another layer of mystery in order to get to the essence of who he is.

Bill is a fabulously engaging character. He's a tough lone wolf and, with his chain smoking and h
Susan
Bill Smith is off to his cabin in upstate New York, where he is approached by Eve, a reclusive farm woman, who is actually a famous painter, to recover some of her early paintings that were stolen from her studio. Bill spends a lot of time at Antonelli’s, a local roadhouse where he gets in a fight with a local gangster. When one of the gangster’s henchmen is found dead in the cellar, the owner’s brother, Jimmy, is the obvious suspect. Bill gets involved because he has gotten Jimmy out of trouble ...more
jimtown
I need to update my booklist soon as I couldn't find any of those on my list at the library today. I looked around and saw lots of maybes. I don't know what it was that made me choose this book over any of the others because I've never read any of this series called A Bill Smith/Lydia Chin Novel.
Maybe it was something in the description that got my attention.
This wasn't a something I would ordinarily have on my reading list but it was a pleasant surprise. Rozan's writing style eased me into want
aPriL does feral sometimes
I don't believe that Bill Smith will make it to a 60th birthday.

This is a great mystery series, and Rozan is a champion tricky plot maven, but I have two huge frustrations with her books. One - Bill is SO self-destructive; he smokes and drinks too much, he has had alcoholic blackouts, he has had at least three concussions, he forgets to eat, he goes days without sleep, he suffers from deep depressions, and he throws himself in front of guns. He's the kind of guy that you know is doomed if he wer
Kathy
Setting – upstate New York – cabin – bar – small towns – quarry

Theme – cover-ups, choices, extreme feelings,

Images – Colgate’s paintings – violent, passionate feelings in abstract, colorful painting. The process of mastering a musical piece as his process for feeling order in the world.

Characters –
Eve Colgate – farmer, independent, contained aka Eve Nouvel – artist.
In her youth, when making a name for herself, her husband told her he was having an affair with another woman and she was pregnant.
Glenn Harris
Bill Smith is hired by a reclusive artist to find some stolen paintings that she never wanted anyone to see, nor does she want her identity revealed to anyone. Then Smith finds a dead body and a friend of his is accused of the murder that might somehow be related to the stolen paintings and of course he has to call in his frequent partner Lydia Chin to help out.
Robert J.
Another great entry in the Bill Smith side of the series. The last half of the book I found pretty gripping, very well paced and suspenseful. I must say I agree with other reviewers about Bill Smith's self-destructive instincts, but at least he doesn't brood about them on-screen, so to speak. We're left with a gap in the story while he's unconscious (not really a spoiler if you know Bill Smith at all), but somehow it gets filled in as necessary. I haven't decided whether it's refreshing or not t ...more
Kirsty Darbyshire

the latest in the lydia chin and bill smith series is out in paperback; one of those books i just couldn't wait to get my grubby little mitts on.

rozan's come up trumps again with another great book, the third narrated by bill. i'm glad i wasn't disappointed. not only does she write very finely, drawing you into both the scenery and the characters, but her plots stand up to analysis and all coincidence is accounted for. this book leaves the new york city setting of the previous five books and mo

Patti
Oct 16, 2008 Patti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of S.J. Rozan, and of PI novels
This book is a reread for me, as I started re-reading through S.J. Rozan's books last year. Wow, I remembered close to nothing about this book, and it was excellent. I love Bill Smith, and I like how he works. He did get beat up, or at least hit, a few too many times for me, but didn't recover like some superman PIs do. He was able to work through the pain, looking at the problem from all angles, and also bringing in his partner Lydia Chin, for another viewpoint. I also liked the title, referrin ...more
Kathleen O'Nan
I like this, number 6 in the series but number 3 in the Bill Smith voice, best of the Bill Smith voice books. He is better developed and we learn more about what makes him tick. We also see Lydia Chin beginning to show her true feelings toward him. The story itself is good, as always.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I guess this was the first book that I read in this Bill Smith and Lydia Chin series. I noted at the time that this had good, interesting characters, and I'd like to read others in the series. I have since done so, but not recently, and should look for more.
Michael
Another solid, solid entry. The dialogue leans a bit too hard-boiled cliche at times, especially with Bill. I can tolerate it, though, because the characters are great, the plot is solid, the pacing quick and even. I'm really enjoying this series.
Samira
I like the books written in Lydia's voice better than those written in Bill's. Bill comes off as a bit more hard boiled than I like. I think the voice is well executed, it's just not my preference.
Elizabeth
Richard Thompson
This one is set in Upstate New York where Bill retreats from time to his cabin in the woods. This time he goes because a woman who lives in the area wants to hire him to recover some sensitive personal items that have been stolen. Bill has history in the area and old entanglements soon impinge on the case. Lydia is off stage for most of the book.

Another Rozan winner.

(The wall of the car wash on Third Avenue is a beautiful abstract expressionist painting. When you go around the wall, though, you
Brian Howard
This was a good Bill Smith in he lead novel, although I prefer Lydia in the lead.
Spuddie
Another excellent entry in this series that changes point of view from one book to the next. This book was from the point of view of PI Bill Smith as he worked two entwined cases in very rural upstate New York where he has a weekend cabin--this is quite a departure from the norm as the other books take place in NYC. His sometime-partner PI Lydia Chin is featured only peripherally, which is what happens to Bill when Lydia is the one telling the story. Very atmospheric, excellent characters, inter ...more
Anna
Got a bit confusing towards the end.
Deb Oestreicher
Previous Bill Smith-narrated books have mentioned his place upstate, and this story takes place there. A reclusive neighbor asks Bill to investigate a theft. At the same time, an old friend of his, and/or his young brother, seem to be in trouble. Coincidence?

As if.

This story features good cops, bad cops, art and antiques, and Lydia Chin's extraordinary circle of contacts. Very satisfying.
Sally Witt
It took me about 60% of the book until I was involved with the characters and the story. I have not read the other books with the same characters, so that is probably why. By the end, I was very engaged and interested.
Ann
I hadn't read a Lydia Chin/Bill Smith mystery in a good long while. Now I don't know why. This is the 6th in the series. I'll be going back to fill in the ones I've missed. Very suspenseful, tough, and well-written.
Michãel
Okay, this is the second book of hers that has kept me up till 1am. I like her dialogue and the characters a lot. The plot points I can often figure out before she reveals them, however.
Merle
This one is an uncomfortable departure into upstate New York with Bill's perspective and minimal use of Lydia. - but Rozan still makes it work. Can hardly believe it.
Trisha Gagnon
This is the first book of hers I have read and I enjoyed it. It was a bit slow in the beginning, but then it got exciting. I want to read more in this series.
Kathy
audiobook-very noir, w/ hard-boiled, hard drinking, fighting and smoking detective w/ a soft spot for depressed rural NY and music.
Roxane
One of the better ones (it is Bill's story this time) - lots of action and bad guys with a little tenderness on the side.
Judi
I am enjoying this series. This is book number 6, and the characters are interesting and believable. Great summer reading!
  • Hades
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • New Year's Eve Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #12)
  • A Curtain Falls (Simon Ziele, #2)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery #2)
  • Reservations for Murder (A Lighthouse Inn Mystery, #2)
  • Keeping Christmas
  • The Silent Bride (April Woo, #7)
  • Spade & Archer: The Prequel to Dashiell Hammett's The Maltese Falcon
  • Biggie and the Devil Diet
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
  • Bamboo and Blood (Inspector O, #3)
  • The Flower Master
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
SJ Rozan, a native New Yorker, is the author of the Bill Smith and Lydia Chin detective series as well as several stand-alone novels. She has won the the Edgar, Nero, Macavity, Shamus and Anthony awards for Best Novel and the Edgar award for Best Short Story. She is a former Mystery Writers of America National Board member, a current Sisters in Crime National Board member, and President of the Pri ...more
More about S.J. Rozan...

Lydia Chin & Bill Smith (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • China Trade
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)
  • Mandarin Plaid
  • No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)
  • A Bitter Feast (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #5)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #7)
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8)
  • The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Ghost Hero (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #11)
China Trade The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9) Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8) Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2) Mandarin Plaid