Promises to the Dead

Promises to the Dead

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  405 ratings  ·  52 reviews
A white boy helps a young black runaway slave to freedom in Baltimore City, in the most dangerous days of the Civil War.
Published January 8th 2002 by HarperTrophy (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Promises to the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promises to the Dead

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George SpeareThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
Best Children's Historical Fiction
203rd out of 479 books — 499 voters
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
I've Read It More Than 5 Times
365th out of 541 books — 347 voters

More lists with this book...

Haley
This book is very well crafted. There is so much action and commotion going on in every second of this story. The author used great text, making it much more interesting than most books. One thing that was kind of hard to follow is all of the characters. There were so many of them that it was hard to completely understand what was going on in the story at some points. I would have liked it even more if the story line was a bit easier to follow. Other than this one confusing stage of so many cha...more
C.C. Thomas
This is not a typical Hahn book and so, at first, I was a little disappointed. When I pick up a Hahn, I have been programmed to expect chills, thrills and goosebumps. Well, actually, some of that was true in this book, too, but not because of a scary ghost. The chills came from the living--which was so much more evil than anything undead.

The story is set during the Civil War (a historic setting was another departure for Hahn's regular style). Jesse is an orphan who lives with his bachelor uncle...more
Brandy
When Jesse is sent down to the marsh to hunt a turtle for the soup pot, he knows he's in for a miserable night--it's dark, it's rainy, and it's too early in the season for turtles anyway. Just as he's about to give up, there's a knife at his throat, and a runaway slave is begging him to go fetch the midwife, because this slave's baby is coming now. Unfortunately, labor doesn't go so well, and Jesse makes a promise to the dying Lydia to take her older son, Perry, to Baltimore to live with her whi...more
Amey S.
This bool took place right before the civil war, a time not really considered but Mary Downing Hahn describes well. All 12 year Jesse wanted to do was get a turtle for his Philemon so they could have turtle soup to help his rheumatism. But things don't always go right like in Jesse's situation. He ran into runaway pregnant slave named Lydia with her 7 year old son Perry. Despite Jesse's efforts to get the town's healer woman Lydia dies of child birth along with her baby being stillborn. But the...more
Dayna Smith
A departure from Hahn's creepy fantasy this is purely historical fiction. Set at the beginning of the Civil War, Jesse lives in Maryland, a state that has mixed loyalties. While hunting turtle in the swamp near his uncle's house, Jesse finds a pregnant runaway slave and her son. Lydia is dying and she makes Jesse promise to take her young son to his white aunt. Jesse and Perry must travel across Maryland and eventually into Virginia. They must face slave hunters and both Union and Confederate so...more
Kent Oliver
It was a great book. Hope someone from the Film Industry would read it and make a movie base on it.
Sheila
This was a historical fiction and well worth the read! Kept me turning pages. What a twist at the end.
... ;)
I loved this book when I was a fourth grader!
Peggy
This is an intense, fast-paced historical novel written by an incredible author. The setting is the Civil War, and the story revolves around Jesse who comes across a dying slave woman, who makes him promise he will take her young son, Perry, to a relative in Baltimore. The journey is quite treacherous, and they have to elude a slave catcher on their trail. As they face danger at every step, they must face harsh truths and find a new beginning. This book is one that I could not put down.
Murphy L
I realy like this book because it teaches you about the slave times in the middle 1800's. it really opens your eyes to see what it was like to be in the slave times and what might happen to you if you helped a slave. I think that Mary Downing Hahn does a good job writing her books to make it feel like you are actuly in the story. I would suggest reading this book if you want to learn about a slaves life and the journey that they might go through trying to run away and what not.
Meghan
This book is about a young boy named Jesse Sherman who grew up at the time of the Civil War. While out hunting turtles for his uncle he meats a runaway slave women. Lydia ( the slave women ) is pregnant but she died. Before she died she made Jesse promise to take her son Perry to his aunt in the free states. But when things go wrong and people start chasing them the boys have to make a new plan to save themselves. To find out what happens read this amazing book.
Cooper Jones
It was very hard to get through this book. It was the war theme sort of thing that I had a little trouble with. It was hard for me to understand and follow all of the chaos and what was happening.
Larissa Wehling
I learned A LOT about the Civil War and I LOVED it to the extreme Mary Downing Hahn does an amazing job about explaining the hardships and excitment through a young white boy who meets a runaway slave and ,before she dies, promises to take her 7 year old child Perry to Baltimore to Perry's aunt. But trouble strikes when a slave catcher follows them and is bound to catch them and bring Perry back, dead or alive.
Deana Starnes
I just finished this book. Another of Mary Downing Hahn's. It is a bit different than her other's that I have read. In this one a boy happens upon a dying slave woman, makes a promise to take her son (who is also a slave) to her white friend. This is the journey of the 2 of them during the civil war. It has a happy ending and I enjoyed reading it.
Katrina Nielsen James
An historical fiction novel set in a time just before the civil war. I liked it even though the main character wasn't quite believable to me. I would give it 3.5 stars if I could. I recommend it younger people than us critical older folks, but you won't be sorry if you read it anyway - the adventure was entertaining and the history is interesting.
Hollie
I didn't enjoy this book as much as others I've read by this author. I started reading it several times only to lose interest and read something else. Set in Maryland at the beginning of the Civil War, an orphaned boy living with his crabby uncle stumbles across runaway slaves he decides to help and winds up traveling all over helping them.
Christopher
So I won't waste your time telling about the story, since you can already read the summary of this book. But I can tell you I was pretty please with it, and I felt like I looked at the Civil War from a different perspective. This author never fails to impress me. I would recommend to children 10 or older, as well as adults!
Makena Cordero
It was a enjoyable book but I got lost through some of the book. It was cool to see what it was like back in the Civil War Era and see what people acted like back then. Through the book I was always interested to read more. I suggest this book to ages 10+ and for boys and girls who enjoy thrilling tales of someones life.
Nicole
One of my 5th graders really liked & wanted me to read. Historical fiction, not really my thing. I was surprised that a 5th grader would enjoy with all the talk of how badly white men took advantage of black women, ending up with babies & all. Just not for me & had things I think only adults would understand.
Mason Draper
This book was pretty good. I usually don't like to read historical fiction, but this was pretty good. It starts really slow, but once you get past that part it gets exciting. It has a good story line and i learned a little about the Civil War. I would say read it for a historical fiction.
Catherine
I usually enjoy reading anything Hahn writes, but this one falls flat. The characters are poorly developed. The villiam would not have acted they way he did considering how it ended - huge plot problem. I felt like I was being told a story instead of shown a story.
Lori
Excellent book. I was riveted. I liked this even better than the last Mary Downing Hahn book I read. There are some hard subjects in this book, but they are not investigated in detail. I recommend it for juvie lit (7th and above) and an easy read for grown-ups.
Meghan Radigan
All of Mary Downing Hahn's books leave you with a sense of enrichment. Promise's to the Dead wasn't an exception, and left me feelings enlightened. I highly recommend this book to any of Hahn's fans, or even someone who wants a good adventure story.
Brianna W.
this book is very interesting. it is about a boy promising to keep a run away slaves son safe and away from the slave hunter, while trying to get him to his family. it makes you want to keep reading it to see how the little boy reaches his destination.
Brandi
It took me a while to get into this book, although I think that may have been more about the mood I was in, but once I got about a quarter of the way through I was drawn in to the story. Great piece of historical fiction for middle-grade readers.
Tori
Set right before the civil war, a young boy makes a promise to a runaway slave to find a way to get her son to safety. It was interesting to read about some of unrest happening in different states at the time.
Carol
I read this book with G's 4th grade literature circle. It was not very well written, the ending was implausible, and I would not recommend it. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either.
Tiffany
as i read this book it made me interested and before i knew it i was almost done with the book within a day. it gave me the chills and it made me reflect upon the lives of those in the past.
Lisa Houston
Lots of historical information. Great read. However, not for fourth grade. It does deal with a sexual assault of a slave. It's not a book I'll put out for my fourth graders to read.
Cynthia
I have to say I love this author. She writes great mysteries geared for children. This one deals with slave owners and slaves at the beginning of the Civil War.
  • Le Capitaine Fracasse
  • House of Evidence
  • With Every Drop of Blood: A Novel of the Civil War
  • How I Found the Strong
  • Freeman
  • A Dangerous Promise (Orphan Train Adventures, #4)
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...
Wait Till Helen Comes Deep and Dark and Dangerous (A Ghost Story) All the Lovely Bad Ones The Old Willis Place The Doll in the Garden