Start by marking “Following My Own Footsteps” as Want to Read:
Following My Own Footsteps

Following My Own Footsteps (Gordy Smith #2)

When Gordy Smith and his down-and-out family go to live with his rich grandmother, Gordy brings with him all the hostilities of an abused child whose drunken father has beaten him regularly. His no-nonsense grandmother and his friendship with a boy who uses a wheelchair change his perspective and life. The author, Mary Downing Hahn is a former children''s librarian.
Published April 1st 1998 by HarperTrophy (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Following My Own Footsteps, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Following My Own Footsteps

Myles
Apr 22, 2015 Myles rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff, historish, dcf
Three cheers for Recycling! My town's recycling center has an area for books to be dropped off and this weekend there was a motherlode of goodies. Some of the boxes, to my surprise, were discarded volumes from my elementary school library. I restricted myself to a few (or 11), but so far the most pleasant surprise has been rediscovering Following My Own Footsteps. The fact that this is the very copy I held in my hands sometime in the 1997-98 school year is just icing on the cake.

I only picked up
Anisha Bhattaru
Nov 26, 2016 Anisha Bhattaru rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book because of the way Mary Downing Hahn portrayed Gordy, the main character to be. She really showed that even the toughest kid has feelings, and can have a kind heart. If you enjoy historical fiction, and juvenile fiction, you will really like this book. It takes place during world war two, and helps picture what life was like for american kids during this time of war.
Zoë
Samantha W.
Oct 23, 2009 Samantha W. rated it liked it
I gave this book three stars because I thought it wasn't that good but it was okay. It was something that I probably wouldn't want to read again but it did tell me a little bit about the holocaust and that is what made me want to read it. I am very interested in why the holocaust even happened. How could you torture someone of your own kind so much? I would never be able to do that. When you torture someone like that it changes peoples views and how they act around you. If you act bad to someone ...more
Isabella Simon
Oct 28, 2016 Isabella Simon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[I wanted to say thanks to my friend Valerie for giving me this book. When this book was given to me by her, I was instantly drawn to read it. I was in love with this book (and I still am), even after I finished it.] This book is about a boy named Gordy Smith and his family when they have ton move away from College Hill, their hometown, to live with their grandma after their father was arrested. When he is there, he is a big trouble-maker, as usual, but ends up making friends with their neighbo ...more
Gordy Lindsay
Jun 02, 2016 Gordy Lindsay rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to the Stepping on the Cracks book. Due to his family troubles, he and his sister moved in with his rich grandmother. Though feeling down, Gordy made friends with a boy in a wheelchair next door to his grandma's house. His friendship with the wheelchair boy changed his perspective on life. I recommend this book because this book shows how being friends with anyone doesn't matter as long as they are good friends.
6garrison
Feb 12, 2013 6garrison rated it liked it
The book about child abuse the father is arrested and they run away and live with there grandma and one of the kids Gordy is being mean and grandma talk to him and now he does not know if he should stay with his family. The book is good but it not as good as some other books i read but i would give it a try it for everbody.
LeAnne
Realistic insights into a bully's needs and hopes. Grandma seems to controlling that you an understand why Mom eloped, but eventually you see Grandma as loving and demanding in a way that Gordy needs. Realistic return of brother from war, following in father's footsteps. Uses occasional "hell", but otherwise refers to Gordy's swearing rather than showing it.
Duane
Sep 18, 2008 Duane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book that deals with the tragedy of men who find pleasure in abusing their children and wives. Looking through the eyes of Gordy who hates his fahter, we see the stupidity of his mother who still loves her husband even though the physical abuse will continue. A great read that opens your eyes and let's you know you got it good.
Karen
Aug 14, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
This is the sequel to "Stepping on the Cracks." It follows the story of a minor character, Gordy, as he goes to live with his grandmother, finally escaping the physical abuse he has endured from his dad his whole life. What a fabbity book! This series may be Mary Downing Hahn's best.
Lakendra
Sep 17, 2007 Lakendra added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: watch out from your friends.
That hitlers got a couple of the boys friends, just like him. like he changed his friends to be like him. and now they all have to watch out. and some more stuff about the book it's just been a long time since i read this book.
Catherine
Mar 10, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I loved this series and highly recommend it. I think any child who has grown up in an abusive home will find healing words in these pages.

See full review on my blog.

Jillian K
Dec 17, 2009 Jillian K rated it really liked it
What i liked about this book is that it shows that people can change. It shows that even the most helpless person can change the person that is tough. I like it becaus the charaters are so realict.And it shows that every one has a soft side. It shows that every one is not helpless
Laurie
Jun 12, 2016 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Follow-up book to Stepping in the Cracks. It is a continuation of the lives of the characters, and it is just as wonderful as that book.
Alia
Jun 10, 2011 Alia rated it it was amazing
I think this was a realy good book on the continuing story about Gordy Smith and his abusive father locked in jail but when he threatens gordy to take away his new life he is determined to give up!!!
Aruna
May 17, 2011 Aruna rated it it was amazing
The sequel to Stepping on the Cracks. This book is about Gordy and his life in North Carolina. Set during World War II.
Laeroport
My 3rd grade daughter checked this out from the school library - it was a bit heavy for her - maybe in a couple of years. I thought it was a good glimpse of social history.
Jill
Jill rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2011
Meghana
Meghana rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Janna
Janna rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2012
Tara
Tara rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2010
Katie Cabaup
Katie Cabaup rated it it was ok
Mar 22, 2012
Jae
Jae rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2012
Crissie Wood
Crissie Wood rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2013
Jax28
Jax28 rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2012
Angelica
Angelica rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2008
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2012
Katie Niehus
Katie Niehus rated it it was ok
Jun 04, 2015
Loren
Loren rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2014
Miss Imagination
Miss Imagination rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Marie, Dancing
  • Blue Meridian: The Search for the Great White Shark
  • Blessing's Bead
  • The Bears' House
  • Jahanara: Princess of Princesses (The Royal Diaries)
  • The Blue Door (Quilt Trilogy, #3)
  • The Enchanted Wood
  • The King of Mulberry Street
  • Turtle on a Fence Post
  • The Last Christmas Tree
  • Mississippi Bridge (Logans #4.5)
  • Mama, Let's Dance
  • The Hoosier Schoolmaster: A Story of Backwoods Life in Indiana (Illustrated Edition)
  • Thieves of Tyburn Square: Elizabeth Fry
  • The Haunting of Grade Three
  • Mick Harte Was Here
  • Reaching Dustin
  • 7 x 9 = Trouble!
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...

Gordy Smith (3 books)