Start by marking “Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers” as Want to Read:
Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers

Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers

Forty-three classic American writers. forty-three classic cocktails. And a round of spirited stories of barroom bets, glamorous parties, late-night carousing, and outrageous pranks.
Published October 13th 2006 by Algonquin Books

Be the first to ask a question about Hemingway & Bailey's Bartending Guide to Great American Writers

Becky
Feb 12, 2014 Becky rated it it was amazing
This was a riot. I normally wouldn’t count a “cookbook” towards my reading goal, but this is something special.

First you are presented with a cartoon and quote of a famous author (and a few I hadn’t even heard of, so add that to my already-insane-TBR pile), then a few paragraphs detailing some of their wilder drunker excursions, then a drink recipe that was either the author’s favorite, or featured in their book, and then an excerpt from one of their writings that’s specifically about drinking-
Ray
Dec 10, 2016 Ray rated it really liked it
Something I wouldn't think I'd enjoy. Funny stories of drunken debauchery. A different look at some of the best authors, poets and play writers. Their world through the bottle or glass of their favorite adult beverage.
Amanda
Mar 13, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing
This was a real short book and one that now has a permanent position in my home. We all know that some of the best writers were absolute drunks. Bukowski, Steinbeck, Hemingway. This book shares a little backstory of those writers along with drink recipes for their preferred adult beverage.

Bukowski favored a Boilermaker, which I'll admit to not knowing what that is. It turns out that it's something I really doubt that I would drink. It's a shot of whiskey with beer as a chaser OR a shot of whiske
Frank
Jan 19, 2010 Frank rated it it was ok
Fun little book about hard drinking writers with recipes for their favorite cocktails. Nothing new here, but I did start feeling lame for being so sober.
Mert
Nov 03, 2013 Mert rated it it was amazing
What a fun little book. Lots of great anecdotes about some classic American authors getting up to considerable trouble.
John Nelson
Aug 11, 2013 John Nelson rated it liked it
Writing is the occupation that drives more people to drink than any other, except for the law. This short book is a summary of quotations from famous authors about worshiping at the alter of Bacchus, along with recipes for some of their favorite concoctions. Not much of substance, but a great list of sayings - choose your own favorite.

"Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's like compounding a felony."

- Robert Benchley

"You never start our in life
Melissa
Aug 08, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Writers like to drink… a lot. I like to read funny stories about what they did or said while drinking, because writers tend to be quite witty. This book fills that desire perfectly. Each author chosen has a two-page spread detailing an incident where they were drinking, a recipe for their drink of choice (or one often associated with them), a line or two about drinking from one of their books

Kerouac, Benchley, Fitzgerald and, of course, Hemingway, all found a place in the book, along with dozen
Cheryl
Jun 10, 2008 Cheryl rated it it was ok
I don't drink. Strange choice of reading material, no doubt. I was curious which authors would be included in the book (I added numerous authors and works to my list of books to be sure to read at some point down the line), and also about these cocktail recipes (just the composition and creation of cocktails--I won't be trying any of them myself). The anecdotes provided for each author are amusing. The excerpts from the authors' works, aptly enough, all revolved around drinking. Only a couple of ...more
Gabriel
Mar 26, 2007 Gabriel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Literate Drinkers
Shelves: drink, the_goods
This is a charming collection of famously drunk (and dead, to Norman Mailer's apparent dismay) authors and associated drinks. The recipes are very classic and can be trusted to be true to the drink's original make-up and intent. The introductions and anecdotes for each author are great reads.

My only two complaints are that the drinks seem to sometimes only be loosely connected to the highlighted author and the writing samples are too brief. The excerpts for each writer are well chosen and highli
Ben Long
Jun 13, 2012 Ben Long rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
A fun and interesting way to learn about the drinking habits of famous American authors and how to make their favorite drinks. Forty-three classic American writers and forty-three classic cocktails. I've always wanted to be more like Hemingway, and now I can every time I have a Mojito.
James Lamplugh
Jan 05, 2015 James Lamplugh rated it really liked it
An enjoyable romp through the works of great writers as filtered through the lens of their love of spirits.
Leonardo Fontes
Vale pelas histórias pitorescas e, caso o leitor tenha disposição, pela possibilidade de experimentar todos os drinques do livro.
Steven
Sep 03, 2008 Steven rated it really liked it
Nate gave me this for xmas. Read on an empty stomach and Jim Beam, all day long. Puked in woods that night. A winner.
Garrett
Sep 16, 2008 Garrett rated it really liked it
pretty entertaining with mini-bios, excerpts, and drinks of dozens of american authors. sometimes drinks seem randomly assigned though....
Ben
Ben rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2012
Kara
Kara rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2012
linalovetheater
Jan 14, 2012 linalovetheater rated it really liked it
entertaining little book of famously drunk authors and classic recipes 我不是在寫作 就是在往酒吧的路上 經典標題黨
L Holt
L Holt rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2015
Alicia Beale
Apr 08, 2010 Alicia Beale rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Now I sound so much smarter when I order a drink and I feel amongst the greats!
Nezka
Nezka rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Angie Irahola
Mar 26, 2010 Angie Irahola rated it it was amazing
Very fun, informative, tactile book. I really enjoy it
Matt
Matt rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2012
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2011
Chris Cain
Jul 17, 2011 Chris Cain rated it it was amazing
a must read for anyone who loves booze and books!
Jose
Jul 05, 2010 Jose rated it really liked it
The paradox is that alcohol is a depressant and yet it opens the floodgates of the imagination!
Brianeharris
Brianeharris rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2011
Thomas
Thomas rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2015
Sam Foster
Sam Foster rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2011
Devri
Devri rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Star Trek Creator: The Authorized Biography of Gene Roddenberry
  • The Glorious Pasta of Italy
  • A Week on the Concord and Merrimack Rivers (Writings of Henry D. Thoreau)
  • The Writer's Book of Hope: Getting from Frustration to Publication
  • Trial of the Clone: An Interactive Adventure!
  • Christmas in Ritual and Tradition, Christian and Pagan
  • DIY Cocktails: A simple guide to creating your own signature drinks
  • The Modern Drunkard: A Handbook for Drinking in the 21st Century
  • Craft Cocktails at Home
  • The Essential Cocktail: The Art of Mixing Perfect Drinks
  • Let's Bring Back: The Cocktail Edition: A Compendium of Impish, Romantic, Amusing, and Occasionally Appalling Potations from Bygone Eras
  • The Bibliophile's Devotional: 365 Days of Literary Classics
  • The Oxford Essential Guide to Writing (Essential Resource Library) (Essential Resource Library)
  • Notes on Love and Courage