Start by marking “Run Away Home” as Want to Read:
Run Away Home

Run Away Home

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
In 1888 Alabama, young Sarah Jane witnesses an Apache boy jumping off a train headed for an Indian reservation, and a life he does not want. She hopes he'll run far -- everyone deserves to be free. Instead she finds him hiding in her family's barn dying of swamp fever. Sarah Jane and her mother nurse the boy, but realize they'll have to turn him over to authorities.
Published January 1st 2001 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Run Away Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Run Away Home

The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack KeatsAnna Hibiscus by AtinukeKira-Kira by Cynthia KadohataAmazing Grace by Mary HoffmanHooray for Anna Hibiscus! by Atinuke
books about kids of colour
104th out of 139 books — 14 voters
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman AlexieBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealLove Medicine by Louise ErdrichCeremony by Leslie Marmon Silko
Native American Fiction
271st out of 588 books — 532 voters

More lists with this book...

Miss Amanda
gr 5-8 165pgs

1888,Quincy, Alabama. When 11 year old Sarah Crossman and her family discover a 15 year old Apache boy hiding in their barn, they decide to help him. They convince Mr. Wratten, one of the men working with the army to move Geronimo and his group of Apaches to Mount Vernon, Alabama, to let "Sky" stay with them. When the Crossmans are in danger of losing their farm and are threatened by the KKK, Sarah and her family refuse to leave their farm and Sky is determined to find a way to help
Gale
THE HUMAN RIGHT TO BE FREE!

In Alabama in 1888 a 12-year-old black girl witnesses a 15-year-old Indian boy escape from a stopped train. The government is transporting Apaches from the dry West to the humid South. Spunky Sarah Jane must made an adult decision based on a child's reason: should she reveal her private knowledge, which will result in a free spirit being returned to bondage? When she discovers that he is hiding in her barn, she must choose between her innate desire to see all people f
Casey
Apr 11, 2013 Casey rated it liked it
The book Run Away Home by Patricia C. McKissack is very interesting so far. It is very interesting so far because the white people do bad things to black people, but on page 26, chapter 5, a white man shook hands with a black man which was unusual. They always have to borrow money from a white person in order to buy food. The Apaches were captured by the soldiers and were treated really badly. This book is also very sad because the Crossman's biggest Mule was poisoned and it took a whole year fo ...more
Kirstin
Mar 20, 2014 Kirstin rated it really liked it
This is an interesting tale about racism in Alabama in 1888. Sarah Jane is learning about black struggles and her limitations when she sees an Apache boy run away from the hatred and racism for his people. These two interact and learn from each other.
LeiAnn
Feb 05, 2014 LeiAnn rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book . I love reading about native Americans and different cultures . And I was surprised this book talked about Pensacola because I am a resident of Pensacola . I loved this book .
Dnasfusion
Oct 04, 2014 Dnasfusion rated it really liked it
I don't the whole of the story. But I love the story about Sky, an indian boy who runaway and the part when Sky and Sarah Jane were together as a sister and brother.
Delaney
May 10, 2014 Delaney marked it as to-read
Keri
May 26, 2009 Keri rated it it was amazing
Twelve year old Sarah Jane finds a run away Apache boy, dying in their family's barn. While helping the boy recover his health, Sarah learns the importance of freedom and standing up for what is right. The author based this book on her own family history. Her great-great-great grandfather was a Native American and married a black woman. She tried to imagine what their lives might have been like at this pivital time in American history.
Sami S
Jan 06, 2011 Sami S rated it really liked it
I thought this was a good book because it tells you a lot about history and what happened back at those times. It was also good because it never got boring and it was full of excitement. I gave it four stars because i think that most students would be interested to know what happened back at that time.
Mistyblue
Jul 29, 2013 Mistyblue rated it it was amazing
This book was a good read. I liked how it treated issues that can be difficult for children to read about, such as the treatment of races after the Civil War. I really enjoyed the main characters and the strength shown by them. Definitely a book I would let me kids read.
Javdat Sharafeev
Jun 16, 2013 Javdat Sharafeev rated it really liked it
Good, warm book, that brings you back to its time. And I learned that many races already in those times were mixed with each other and that's good
Trinette
Aug 07, 2009 Trinette rated it really liked it
Great quick read. Checked this book out for Olivia, but I ended up reading it. She was busy reading another book.
Jill
Cooper- I loved this book because it teaches a lot about history but still entertaining
Candice
Dec 06, 2012 Candice rated it really liked it
was a great short book, would like to continue to see where they all ended up!
Catherine
Apr 02, 2011 Catherine rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I found this novel interesting. I liked the characters as well.
Cydney
Jul 31, 2009 Cydney rated it did not like it
that some grown ups need a new hobby...i HAD to read 4 classsss tho.
Jwcamp2009
Jul 16, 2009 Jwcamp2009 rated it it was amazing
when she left home
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Andres
Andres marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Lee
Lee added it
Apr 13, 2016
Jess
Jess rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2016
Lori
Lori added it
Apr 04, 2016
Sadie Cluff
Sadie Cluff marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
Lauren Conklin
Lauren Conklin rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Rhadawn Bibby
Rhadawn Bibby marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Abdelrahman Alaa
Abdelrahman Alaa marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
Carlos Galvan
Carlos Galvan rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2016
Katherine Keane
Katherine Keane rated it liked it
Mar 13, 2016
  • The Storyteller's Beads
  • Gratefully Yours
  • Ghost Girl: A Blue Ridge Mountain Story
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Stop the Train! (Cissy Sissney, #1)
  • Anna Is Still Here
  • Bat 6
  • Play to the Angel
  • Who Comes with Cannons?
  • The Beaded Moccasins