Start by marking “Perilous Dreams” as Want to Read:
Perilous Dreams

Perilous Dreams

Tam-sin knew dreams; she had been able to summon and dismiss them at her own will; they and the people in them had been but toys with which she could play at desire. Until she had dreamed for Lord Starrex and plunged them both into such a venture as she could not control. Somehow she had brought them here, to new identities, new adventure, and doubtless, new dangers.

But th
Published July 1st 1982 by DAW (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Perilous Dreams, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Perilous Dreams

Sandra Munger
Feb 20, 2017 Sandra Munger rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-norton
A collection of short stories about dreaming. The planet provides people from the Hive for active dreaming. A dream sabotaged leaving the dreamer and her client trapped in the past. To save the future, he goes into the past and succeeds. Someone is committing murder through dreams. 2 agents go in and manage to catch the killer. A quick fun read.
Flo
Mar 09, 2017 Flo rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Somewhat less sexist and pedantic than the other old fantasy I've been reading, but still not quite good enough. Unresolved plots, abrupt endings, and an absurd continuity which lasted for parts 1 & 2 and then gave way to completely different stories. The idea is interesting, though.
Valerie
This book is a deliberate expansion on the earlier short stoy The Toys of Tamisan. As such, it's not surprising that it creaks at the seams at times. The first two stories are the aforesaid "The Toys of Tamisan" and its sequel "Ship of Mists". The latter two "Get Out of My Dream" and "Nightmare" seem to be more or less a matter of "I've invented a concept, might as well play with it."

The connection between the 'dreams' and reality is never very well explored, and morality, which is somewhat shel
Unwisely
Sep 14, 2010 Unwisely rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction, 2010
This book was published in 1976, and it reads like it. There's nothing specifically *wrong* with it, but it feels dated. (I tried to narrow down why. I *think* it's mostly because of the third-person narration with zero insight into people's thoughts, but the gender relations is a little more pat than I think you could get away with today.)

Having said that, the world building is interesting, the short stories themselves are quick and not unpleasant. I have been wavering between two and three st
Ero
Oct 31, 2010 Ero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
34 years before Inception, and a bazillion times more imaginative. Dreams within dreams within dreams.

A novella and two long short stories using similar concepts. (I wish the book jacket would tell you this, it sucks waiting for your initial characters to come back, when they won't). Parts of this are improvisatory-- you can sort of sense that the author doesn't know where things are going-- but the overall air of deep dream is very heady, and there's a constant swirl of new imagery and inventi
Jerry
Mar 23, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Andre Norton is always a good read, and this was a fine collection. The four stories all involve dreamers, special psychics trained to sell dreams. Saying pretty much anything else about the stories will involve spoilers because they start right out with surprises.

The cover of the edition I read seems like it must have inspired the Loc-Nar from Heavy Metal; in fact, the green glowing thing is involved with people from a land Norton calls, several years before the movie, LockNar!
Doris
Feb 20, 2013 Doris rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a difficult book to get into, as it tended to limit the reader's imagination. It was difficult to follow and the characters seemed mainly one dimensional. However the romance was well written.
Kelli Mcbride
May 25, 2012 Kelli Mcbride rated it really liked it
I agree that this is an odd and often clunky book. However, I really like most of it. I always like a little romance, so I enjoy that twist. I also like the idea of being able to escape a horrible reality and find a better life, even if through dreams.
Lorelei
Aug 15, 2008 Lorelei rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Not one of Andre Norton's best. Usually her stories flow - this book was a bit of an effort to get through. The parts are loosely connected, but it is not clear from the beginning if they are all part of the same story or merely using the same background. I would not recommend this book.
Bonnie
Jun 28, 2009 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi-fantasy
This is a strange book. It's split into 4 parts--the first two are interesting, the second two I didn't like too much. It wasn't a bad book, but I don't know if I really liked it.
Kate Millin
Jan 03, 2012 Kate Millin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have not read many by this author before - but found this really gripping. I loved the concept of people who can take others in and out of dreams at will.
Gautsho
Väga vaevaline lugemine. Väga halvasti valitud raamat auväärt autoriga tutvumiseks.
colleen
read 08.15.85
Merry
Mar 05, 2008 Merry rated it really liked it
Fun Fantasy Read
Aivmirr
Aivmirr rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2013
Liobhan
Liobhan rated it really liked it
Mar 11, 2010
Aleta Pardalis
Aleta Pardalis rated it really liked it
May 26, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Henry Kline
Henry Kline rated it liked it
Dec 18, 2016
Ivar Volmar
Ivar Volmar rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2016
Julie
Julie rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2012
Vaibhav
Vaibhav rated it it was ok
Jan 06, 2010
Vince
Vince rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2011
Melody Mixed
Melody Mixed rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2010
Badger
Badger rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2013
Joene
Joene rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2009
Jeff Watson
Jeff Watson rated it liked it
May 01, 2010
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Del
Del rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Meme
Meme rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2014
  • Cyrion
  • Sleepers Of Mars
  • Irsud
  • Hadon of Ancient Opar
  • The Wind's Twelve Quarters, Volume 1
  • Tangle of Fates
  • Here Be Monsters (Warlock's Heirs, #4)
  • Chasers (Being Human, #2)
  • Bad Blood (Being Human, #3)
  • Streetlethal (Aubrey Knight, #1)
  • The Lion Game
  • The Beast
  • The Laertian Gamble
  • Amazons!
  • Lady in Gil (Gil Trilogy, #1)
  • The Stone Book Quartet
  • The Case of Charles Dexter Ward: A Graphic Novel
  • Sunfall
Alice Mary Norton always had an affinity to the humanities. She started writing in her teens, inspired by a charismatic high school teacher. First contacts with the publishing world led her, as many other contemporary female writers targeting a male-dominated market, to choose a literary pseudonym. In 1934 she legally changed her name to Andre Alice. The androgynous Andre doesn't really say "male" ...more
More about Andre Norton...