Start by marking “Tempt the Devil” as Want to Read:
Tempt the Devil

Tempt the Devil

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,272 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
For Olivia Raines, London's most notorious courtesan, and the infamous Julian Southwood, Earl of Erith, falling in love will be the greatest risk of all in this wicked and wild romance from Anna Campbell.

Any man in London would worship her. Yet Olivia is, quite frankly, bored of them all. Despite her many dalliances, she's never felt true passion, never longed for any love
Mass Market Paperback, 359 pages
Published December 30th 2008 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Tempt the Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tempt the Devil

Fallen from Grace by Laura LeoneFinding Home by Lauren BakerThe Duke by Gaelen FoleyCurio by Cara McKennaEscorted by Claire Kent
Best Courtesan/Gigolo Romances
19th out of 114 books — 260 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenOutlander by Diana GabaldonJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëDevil in Winter by Lisa KleypasPersuasion by Jane Austen
100 Historical Romances To Read Before You Die
357th out of 1,054 books — 1,342 voters

More lists with this book...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
I stayed up until 3:30am reading this book on Friday. It was just that good. Certainly not a book that is light and fluffy, but so excellent that you feel as though you have eating a ten course meal instead of a sweet, tasty cupcake. Erith is not what I would call a nice guy. He's selfish and blunt and doesn't work too hard to observe social niceties. He lives for his own desires, and goes where he wants to go, always drifting, and leaving nothing behind that he regrets despite the many mistress ...more
Eastofoz
Jan 05, 2010 Eastofoz rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who like a darker romance with excellent writing
This story has everything I love in a romance novel : a very dark hero, a razor sharp tough as nails heroine, virtually no eye-crossing filler, the screeching emotional roller coaster and all that told within the framework of some brilliant writing. Anna Campbell is a genius with her eerie yet refreshing prose. Suzanne Enoch and Lisa Kleypas can rip your heart to bits with those nasty rakes of theirs but Campbell, she tears away at you slowly until you think you just can’t take it anymore and yo ...more
Rane
Aug 20, 2009 Rane rated it really liked it
From the moment he first saw the famous courtesan Olivia Raines, Julian Southwood, Earl of Erith wanted her, as he plans and makes arrangements to make her his new mistress, he finds out there’s more to this well-sought courtesan then meets the eye.
Olivia finds the life of a courtesan tiresome after so many years,but finds a challenge in Erith and sets out to prove he’s just like her old keepers.
As the wagers are set, a battle of wills between Olivia and Julian flare up with sexual tension w
Kathrynn
Tempt the Devil is the sequel to Claiming the Courtesan, but the characters in the latter book play an extremely minor role in this one. They are mentioned once, then they have a small scene near the end. While I feel the books are related they are not--necessarily--a series and do not need to be read in order.

Having said that, I enjoyed how Tempt the Devil started out. Unique plot with a notorious "rake" (Julian and Earl) openly bargaining for the attention and body of Olivia, a well-known and
Zoe
Feb 09, 2016 Zoe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure who I disliked more while reading this book: Julian, Olivia, or myself.

I like Ms Anna Campbell's writing. I like that she is focused in her stories, not so many secondary characters to fill the pages. I think her writing smart and storytelling intense. I appreciate that her stories have a darker edge. Her stories read well. The only thing that I cannot really relate to is how sexual her books usually turn out to be. The characters in her books usually find love through sex. The sen
Tinsoni
Feb 12, 2016 Tinsoni rated it it was ok
The scene where he walks in to see his mistress and daughter together....and the way Olivia's heartbreak was potrayed made the rest of the book almost worth it....but I found the rest of the book too dry.
Cheryl
Feb 11, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've read an Anna Campbell book and I have my friend Kelly to thank for recommending this one! I loved it! It had the perfect blend of steam and emotion, without being heart-wrenching or smutty! ;)

My only complaint... the ending!!! Was my copy missing a chapter or did everyone else's copy just end suddenly? I wish it had a more solid ending, rather than ending on the assumption that she said "yes"!
Mary C. *Nulla in mundo pax sincera*
What a deep, moving story! Time to finish my Anna Campbell marathon...
Katie(babs)
Jun 06, 2009 Katie(babs) rated it really liked it
With Tempt the Devil, Campbell has written two characters who are on equal footing, perhaps not in society eyes, but when it comes to the bedroom, both her characters fight over the right to be on top. Julian and Olivia are both alphas who won’t back down from what they want. Julian wants Olivia’s total submission, where as Olivia just wants respect and the elusive joy that constantly escapes her ever she was forced into the lifestyle she hates because of the way she lost her innocence. Tempt th ...more
Ana Maria Rînceanu
Control is Olivia Raines' favorite word and, as it happens, it's also to be the Earl of Erith, Julian Southwood's favorite. So as you can imagine the power struggle in this book is smoking hot and the stakes continue to escalate with every passing encounter.

I enjoyed this book immensely, but I have a complaint about the ending being a little too convenient. It's weird that I don't feel the same way about the way Claiming the Courtesan, but it could have been done differently.
Abby
May 04, 2011 Abby rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, ebook
Tiffany Clare
Jan 10, 2009 Tiffany Clare rated it it was amazing
Definitely one of those books you want to give more than five stars.
Very romantic, deeply evocative and of course, as always, beautifully written in Anna's unmistakable, elegant, deeply emotional, raw prose.

Julian is do die for. Even when he's being a jerk his love is palpable. Definitely a knight in shining armor, and willing to bare his heart no matter the vulnerability it shows in him. Olivia is a beautifully written character.
Christine Morehouse
May 24, 2009 Christine Morehouse rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Romance Book Lover
Alaine
Mar 01, 2009 Alaine rated it it was amazing
Romantic Times said 'takes your breath away ... an unforgettable powerhouse romance'. That is an understatement! I absolutely loved this book and will definitely read it again. Although I feel I must warn you, I recommend reading this book in a very cold room with the air conditioner turned to the coldest setting because it is steamy hot!

Anna Campbell has an amazing ability to write a story that gets to the heart of women's sensuality. What impressed me most about this story was not only was it
Cherie
Nov 10, 2015 Cherie rated it really liked it
First Olivia was in control, then Erith (Julian). Then Julian falls in love and Olivia is in control. Then Olivia falls in love and they are in balance. Then Julian puts his very large foot in his mouth and the equilibrium is gone.

Olivia is a courtesan and Julian is Earl of Erith. He wants to be in possession of The Most Elite of Courtesans. He accepts nothing but the best for himself. But Olivia is elite for a reason and she challenges him like no other and keeps him jockeying for control of hi
An interesting twist from the norm. Olivia is the most sought after courtesan in London but no one knows of the dark secrets that she holds. Having been sold to a Lord by her bother to cover gambling debts she was sexually abused for several years until she was able to reinvent herself as a courtesan. Though for all the pleasure that she gives one would never suspect that she neither finds pleasure nor likes the men whom she takes as protectors. And no one ever would have if she hadn't taken Jul ...more
Bree T
Jan 27, 2014 Bree T rated it really liked it
Julian Southwood, the Earl of Erith is back in London after some time in Europe. He’s here only briefly to attend a family event and hopefully right some wrongs that he committed many years ago. While he’s here he’s looking for a little bit of entertainment. He’s finished up with his mistress in Europe and when he sees Olivia Raines, he demands an introduction.

Olivia is one of London’s most notorious courtesans and Erith wants to secure her services whilst he’s in Town. He makes her an offer whi
Alexandria Tale
3.5

The plot was quite good, though the ending was somewhat rushed. We didn't know how Julian changed his mind, the process of it and all. Just all of a sudden, he appeared in front of Olivia and proposed her. I was pretty disappointed.

Furthermore, Julian said that he loved her and her past was irrelevant. But when he found Roma (his daughter) was in Olivia's house, he was enraged and blamed Olivia for getting Roma in her "dirty" house. He said a lot of hurtful things to her, reminded her that sh
Kelly
Feb 05, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 2010-read
HATE the cover LOVE the book.

I was surprised to love this book. My first experience with Campbell(Untouched) didn't wow me a bit but boy did this make up for it.

Julian and Olivia both feel they have no souls, that they will suit for a tryst. Julian wants for pleasure and Courtesan Olivia agrees to become his mistress. Julian is trying to overcome the death of his wife and reconnect with his children. At a very young age Olivia experiences a dreadful event that changes her life.

A plus for me were
Rose
Jan 08, 2011 Rose rated it really liked it
Anna Campbell's writing is growing on me. Where I found her first novel "The Claiming of the Courtesan" somewhat distasteful due to rape scenes, "Tempt the Devil" was very refreshing. Julian was the kind of hero I appreciate in that he wasn't completely dominating and he was willing to humble himself completely for his love. I liked that in this book, the courtesan was a courtesan. She hadn't had only 2 or 3 lovers. She wasn't a shy miss when it came to pleasing men sexually, and she wasn't asha ...more
Hibana
Gros coup de cœur pour ce livre. Très bien écrit, une intrigue magistralement dominée par l’auteure, des personnages passionnants et atypiques de par leur âge et leur vécu, et la frigidité de l’héroïne, courtisane célèbre.

Lord Julian Southwood, Comte d’Erith, revient en Angleterre après un exil volontaire de 16 ans, à l’occasion du mariage de sa fille. Marié très jeune, fou amoureux de sa femme, et veuf à 22 ans, il a fuit ses enfants et sa famille, en embrassant une carrière diplomatique. Intel
Janet Robel
Mar 02, 2015 Janet Robel rated it liked it
It's refreshing to read a book with a heroine like Olivia who isn't some innocent miss. The downside to this book was that I didn't seem to like Julian as a hero. He couldn't wait to be with Olivia but also kept protesting too much about not being able to marry her because of her reputation. Then all of a sudden at the end he had a change of heart or something. It was never really clarified why the sudden turnabout. I could really feel for Olivia though and was rooting for the happy ending.
Carolyn F.
I have no idea why Julian would want to be with a frigid, mean-spirited woman who is supposed to be his mistress. I know a lot has happened to Olivia in her past, but what about her after just one meeting would make him want to keep trying to break through her coldness. Another example of where the book itself was okay, but the story line drove me bananas.
Linds
Dec 02, 2010 Linds rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of dark regencies
Julian is a jaded, cynical widower who had given up on life almost a decade past. Olivia is a jaded courtesan sold into prostitution at a young age and is obviously extremely cynical.

It was a joy to watch both of them fall in love with each other against their will. It's very intense and a bit dark, which is typical of Anna Campbell.
Keri
Mar 23, 2014 Keri rated it really liked it
3.50 Stars. Loved this right up to the end. I felt like we needed a bit more explanation on the hero's part of why he changed his mind. He was a bit to hard about telling her no way in hell four months earlier. Now he comes back with a proposal and boom the book is over.
Brenna Call
May 11, 2009 Brenna Call rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I liked the beginning of this book but about 2/3 in I just thought "oh come on, get over yourselves!" The sex scenes were steaming and wonderful and the story could have been great (it was an original idea-hard to come by in this genre) but I just found it to be lacking.
KC
This is the third romance I've read by this author, but I will not be reading anymore. The writing style just isn't for me nor are the stories particularly romantic.

With Tempt the Devil, Julian wouldn't marry Olivia without his adult children's approval. Julian's choice to place Olivia second to his children seemed hypocritical and disappointing. It was hypocritical because Julian had never cared to establish a prior relationship with them, so why were their feelings so important suddenly? And
Juana "Darkness" Duran
I really couldn't get into it. It was good at parts.
Jenny
Jun 14, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Love Love Loved it. This is her best book yet.
Heidi
Jan 11, 2014 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Anna Campbell can flat out write! I loved the flaws! Julian was an irredeemable cad. He came to purchase the most notorious mistress in London. Oh, and hang around for his daughter's wedding. He lost the love of his life and abandoned his children at a very young age. And never looked back. Now he must possess the notorious courtesan.
Olivia Raines has only her formidable will to live. And her pride. Life thrust her in the role of mistress. And she plays the part beautifully. Even though she hat
  • The Surrender of a Lady
  • Her Ladyship's Companion
  • Always a Temptress (Drake's Rakes #3)
  • Sinful (Addicted #2)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • The Price Of Desire
  • A Rose at Midnight
  • A Rake's Guide To Pleasure (Somerhart, #2)
  • An Indecent Proposition
  • Proof by Seduction (Carhart, #1)
  • Goddess of the Hunt (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #1)
  • Sins of a Wicked Duke (The Penwich School for Virtuous Girls #1)
  • A Promise of Love
  • Outlaw (Carre, #1)
  • Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1)
  • Beyond Innocence (Beyond Duet, #1)
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
  • To Wed a Wicked Earl (Devine & Friends, #2)
I've written ten multi award-winning full-length historical romances for Grand Central Publishing and Avon HarperCollins (available in print and digital) and my work is published in seventeen languages. Look out for my indie novellas, too. Most recently I've been engaged in the Dashing Widows series, latest release WINNING LORD WEST (April 2016). I live on the beautiful east coast of Australia, wh ...more
More about Anna Campbell...