Start by marking “Biography: A Brief History” as Want to Read:
Biography: A Brief History

Biography: A Brief History

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  29 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
For thousands of years we have recorded real lives--the lives of others, and of ourselves. For what purpose and for whom has this universal and timeless pursuit endured? What obstacles have lain in the path of biographers in the past, and what continues to confound biographers today? Above all, how is it that biographies and autobiographies play such a contested, popular r ...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Harvard University Press

To ask other readers questions about Biography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biography

Carl Rollyson
Jul 17, 2012 Carl Rollyson rated it it was amazing
Biography is the dominant nonfiction of the present age. It even pervades the media. So why, Hamilton asks, can one find "no single, accessible introduction to the subject, either for the general reader or the specialist?" As a subject, biography per se is not taught at the college level, and biographers are rarely represented in literature anthologies. "Distinguished chairs" in literature go to postmodern studies, women's studies--virtually any specialization but biography. The great misfortune ...more
h
Nov 23, 2009 h rated it liked it
Shelves: hup, 2009, biography
informative, readable - a good broad overview of biography in the western tradition, with a wide net that includes film and art to the extent that an overview can.
Perry
Aug 24, 2014 Perry rated it really liked it
A very enjoyable and broad look at the art of biography. Bios are evolving and have done so with history.
Patrick
Sep 28, 2007 Patrick rated it it was amazing
This is a really great book so far (just starting chapter 6 - about halfway through). I have a new found appreciation for Walter Raliegh, Virginia Woolf, and Lytton Strachey. I can't wait to finish this book, and I need to get a copy for myself as soon as possible in order to annotate key ideas when I re-read this.

That said, I think that most biography buffs will NOT like this book. Those will like it, in my opinion, are those who enjoy learning about how our modern culture developed, and those
Hayley
Aug 13, 2012 Hayley rated it really liked it
I read this while working on my senior thesis. I found it highly informative and useful. The best thing about this book is its readability; so many history books can become dry and dull. This book was not dry at all. The only thing that bugged me about it was that from time to time it was a bit melodramatic. On the whole, it's a great little book. Few books are dedicated to the actual history of biography, so this is a great contribution to this understudied field.
Jimmy
Aug 24, 2008 Jimmy rated it really liked it
good historical overview of the different motives and methods behind the writing of Biographies. Hamilton also helps define the genre of Biography apart from its relatives, History, Memoir, even Fiction.
A.
Interesting, but way too dry for the subject material -- it's taken me six weeks to get a third of the way through this one, I'm finally just giving up.
Mary Louise
Jul 03, 2008 Mary Louise rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Excellent overview of the history of biography, and how, up until now, we talk about it.
Neverdust
Neverdust marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Paul Linae
Paul Linae rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
catherine l bell
catherine l bell marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2015
Inass G.
Inass G. rated it liked it
Sep 23, 2015
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen is currently reading it
Jul 26, 2015
Allison Graves
Allison Graves rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2015
Britta
Britta rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2015
Jane
Jane is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Laura added it
Mar 30, 2015
Rachael
Rachael rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Mike Hernandez
Mike Hernandez marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Dan Allosso
Dan Allosso rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2014
Annie M
Annie M rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Nigel Hamilton is an award-winning British-born biographer, academic and broadcaster, whose works have been translated into sixteen languages.
More about Nigel Hamilton...