Biography: A Brief History

Biography: A Brief History

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  8 reviews
For thousands of years we have recorded real lives--the lives of others, and of ourselves. For what purpose and for whom has this universal and timeless pursuit endured? What obstacles have lain in the path of biographers in the past, and what continues to confound biographers today? Above all, how is it that biographies and autobiographies play such a contested, popular r...more
Published March 20th 2007 by Harvard University Press

To ask other readers questions about Biography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Biography

h
informative, readable - a good broad overview of biography in the western tradition, with a wide net that includes film and art to the extent that an overview can.
Carl Rollyson
Biography is the dominant nonfiction of the present age. It even pervades the media. So why, Hamilton asks, can one find "no single, accessible introduction to the subject, either for the general reader or the specialist?" As a subject, biography per se is not taught at the college level, and biographers are rarely represented in literature anthologies. "Distinguished chairs" in literature go to postmodern studies, women's studies--virtually any specialization but biography. The great misfortune...more
Perry
A very enjoyable and broad look at the art of biography. Bios are evolving and have done so with history.
Patrick
This is a really great book so far (just starting chapter 6 - about halfway through). I have a new found appreciation for Walter Raliegh, Virginia Woolf, and Lytton Strachey. I can't wait to finish this book, and I need to get a copy for myself as soon as possible in order to annotate key ideas when I re-read this.

That said, I think that most biography buffs will NOT like this book. Those will like it, in my opinion, are those who enjoy learning about how our modern culture developed, and those...more
Hayley
I read this while working on my senior thesis. I found it highly informative and useful. The best thing about this book is its readability; so many history books can become dry and dull. This book was not dry at all. The only thing that bugged me about it was that from time to time it was a bit melodramatic. On the whole, it's a great little book. Few books are dedicated to the actual history of biography, so this is a great contribution to this understudied field.
Jimmy
good historical overview of the different motives and methods behind the writing of Biographies. Hamilton also helps define the genre of Biography apart from its relatives, History, Memoir, even Fiction.
A.
Interesting, but way too dry for the subject material -- it's taken me six weeks to get a third of the way through this one, I'm finally just giving up.
Mary Louise
Excellent overview of the history of biography, and how, up until now, we talk about it.
JoAnn Brown
JoAnn Brown marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
May 14, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2012
Lois
Lois marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2012
Ava
Ava added it
Aug 10, 2012
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2012
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2012
Sérgio Marcondes
Sérgio Marcondes marked it as to-read
May 18, 2012
JFK: Reckless Youth American Caesars: Lives of the Presidents from Franklin D. Roosevelt to George W. Bush Bill Clinton: An American Journey: Great Expectations Bill Clinton: Mastering the Presidency The Mantle of Command: FDR at War, 1941-1942