Start by marking “Downshifting: How to Work Less and Enjoy Life More” as Want to Read:
Downshifting: How to Work Less and Enjoy Life More

Downshifting: How to Work Less and Enjoy Life More

Today's organizations put extraordinary pressure on their employees to work harder and longer. This book shows readers how to resist this pressure and actually spend less time in the office. John Drake, who successfully downshifted his own work life, examines the frantic pace of today's business environment, helps readers overcome the fear of working less, and shows them h ...more
Published January 1st 2001 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published December 31st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Downshifting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downshifting

Kiri
Apr 07, 2011 Kiri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd been wanting to read this book for ages -- attracted by its subtitle, "How to work less and enjoy life more." Who doesn't want that? But then by the time I finally got a copy to read, I discovered that I'd already taken a good number of "downshifting" steps on my own. But just because the advice in this book came a little late for me, that does not at all mean that I find it without value.

This is an excellent little book that carefully covers the important aspects of downshifting: identifyi
Matt McCormick
Nov 14, 2013 Matt McCormick rated it it was ok
I didn't get much out of this book. This book seems to be targetted at high-level executives that have to work long hours due to their jobs.

I would have liked to see some studies about productivity vs. work time to have some data to back up the cases for working less. There were a couple anecdotes in the book about people working less and getting the same amount done. I feel that a lot of people would be better off working less because they would only lose the unproductive time. The productive t
Dan
Nov 24, 2011 Dan rated it did not like it
This guy begins the book asking if various characteristics fit my work life, they included:

- Do you feel guilty when you leave work at the end of the day?
- Do you call the office frequently on vacation?
- Do you constantly push back your vacations because of work?

Ummm, no, I don't do any of that. He wants me to "down shift" from working 80-90 hours per week, I want to down shift from working 45 hours per week. I guess I'm way ahead of where this guy wants me to be.

Not a helpful book for me.
Marjorie Elwood
This short book contains a great deal of specific information, both on how to 'downshift' (work less) and how to deal with the psychological ramifications of trying to do so. Though there was a little too much emphasis on religion, I did find it a helpful read.
kinu triatmojo
May 07, 2008 kinu triatmojo rated it it was ok
prinsipnya sama dengan formula nenek moyang bangsa indonesia yang telah dipatenkan dalam sebuah rumus aljabar berjudul berakit-rakit ke hulu berenang-renang kemudian.
John
Nov 04, 2012 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Thank God for friends who know us better than ourselves and can get us to slow down and move us to a lower gear for climbing upwards!!!
Theresa
May 07, 2011 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written by someone who understands the pressures of Corporate America.
Sasha Perelygin
Sasha Perelygin marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
mgsplt
mgsplt marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Corin
Corin marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2016
Ricardo Fabela
Ricardo Fabela marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Paul White
Paul White rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2016
Karen Holt
Karen Holt is currently reading it
Mar 13, 2016
Lorenzo Riva
Lorenzo Riva rated it liked it
Feb 29, 2016
Podzina
Podzina marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015
Tim LeGendre
Tim LeGendre rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2015
Summer Edwards
Summer Edwards marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Tammy Garland
Tammy Garland rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Laser Cat
Laser Cat marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Julien Marboutin
Julien Marboutin marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Renata Shura
Renata Shura marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Jeffrey
Jeffrey rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Belserageorgetown.edu
Belserageorgetown.edu rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2015
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014