Start by marking “This Too Can Be Yours” as Want to Read:
This Too Can Be Yours

This Too Can Be Yours

In this wholly unpredictable collection of tongue-in-chic short stories, Beth Lisick casts a cool eye on the lost and living dead of offices, nightclubs, shopping malls, and rent-controlled apartments. Pretentious web designers, reality show wannabes, and hipster party girls are among the characters populating a seemingly ordinary world teetering on the brink of chaos.
Published September 1st 2001 by Manic D Press, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about This Too Can Be Yours, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Too Can Be Yours

Imogen
May 11, 2008 Imogen rated it it was amazing
Here is the gist of most of these stories: "Man, these times we are living in, when everybody is getting rich from the internet and nobody's flown any planes into any buildings in New York, these are some weird, funny times, eh?" The best part about reading this book in 2008 instead of 2001 is that, yeah! Those WERE some weird funny times.

There's a lightness to the prose that makes these stories fly by. Not in, like, a there's-nothing-going-on way, but in more of a 'here is kind of a vapid char
Mateo
Jan 07, 2010 Mateo rated it really liked it
Much as I enjoyed Lisick's first book, Monkey Girl, I like this one better. The stories here are richer and more developed and show more sense of craft. They also include a delicious holiday cheese log at the end of each paragraph.

I don't know if Lisick is a genius writer--she might be, though all I can say for sure is that she was a hell of a high-school long jumper--but she is certainly very smart and very talented, with a keen eye and a mimic's voice. For those of us who are full up with wri
David W.
Once again I plowed headfirst into a world I'm totally unfamiliar with by checking out a random library book with a pretty cover. Halfway through the book I realized that those stories exist in the same universe because there are recurring character names -_-# and a lot of times I finish a story without even understanding if the main character (most of the stories are told innthe 1st person) was better or worse off compared with the beginning.

3/5 for now, if someone can help me understand this
Lexi
May 16, 2008 Lexi added it
i first saw beth lisick read in san fran while accompanied by a full band of cool cats on upright bass and sax, or something like it. so neat. then when i read this book i was in love with one of the chapters poking fun at the weird internet moment where there were millions of new startups that were infiltrating the language. now that time is in the past, i don't know if this book would seem anachronistic.
Brook
Jul 18, 2015 Brook rated it really liked it
Rad, weird slice of life stories. A few intertwine. The whole thing seems to be themed around "2000s people are aggressively normal/weird" in a everyone is strange vibe. Enjoyed it. Some very laugh-out-loud moments too.
Kelly Bayes
Aug 28, 2013 Kelly Bayes rated it liked it
not as good as Everybody Into The Pool
Amanda
Aug 14, 2008 Amanda rated it liked it
i liked it. i'm slow though, got halfway through before i started connecting the characters in the short stories. i really want to read again for this reason. good book, quick read!
Julie
Dec 30, 2014 Julie rated it did not like it
Ugh. Couldn't finish. Sorry, Beth, I like your other books, but this one? No.
Carrie
Apr 17, 2010 Carrie rated it liked it
At another, much younger time in my life, I might have really, really enjoyed this book. The stories remind me of performance pieces or slam poetry: sort of a one-shot/splash of entertainment.
Rachel Hill
Rachel Hill rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Jaclyn Kraemer
Jaclyn Kraemer rated it liked it
May 30, 2013
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Amie
Amie rated it really liked it
May 24, 2009
Bucky Sinister
Bucky Sinister rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2008
Will
Will rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2007
Gavin Splatterbang
Gavin Splatterbang rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2011
Jenny Garone
Jenny Garone rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2008
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2007
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Jun 30, 2012
John Matthews
John Matthews rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2017
Kristina
Kristina rated it it was amazing
Jun 13, 2012
Jessica Hall
Jessica Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Laura rated it it was ok
Jun 16, 2008
Marie
Marie rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2008
Pam Lewis
Pam Lewis rated it really liked it
May 16, 2009
Will
Will rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2009
Colleen
Colleen rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2008
  • Jenny and the Jaws of Life: Short Stories
  • Trailerpark
  • The Book of Guys
  • When the Messenger Is Hot
Beth Lisick, author of the New York Times bestselling book Everybody into the Pool, is also a performer and odd-jobs enthusiast. Her writing has appeared in numerous publications and anthologies including Best American Poetry, the Christian Science Monitor, and Word Warriors: 35 Women Leaders in the Spoken Word Movement. She has contributed to public radio's This American Life and is the cofounder ...more
More about Beth Lisick...