Start by marking “Girl Genius, Vol. 5: Agatha Heterodyne and the Clockwork Princess (Girl Genius #5)” as Want to Read:

4.45 of 5 stars 4.45  ·  rating details  ·  1,263 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Published November 24th 2009 by Studio Foglio (first published July 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Girl Genius, Vol. 5, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Genius, Vol. 5

xkcd by Randall MunroeHark! A Vagrant by Kate BeatonGunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 1 by Thomas SiddellGirl Genius, Vol. 1 by Phil FoglioWorm by Wildbow
Best of the Web
23rd out of 174 books — 195 voters
Soulless by Gail CarrigerPhoenix Rising by Pip BallantineChangeless by Gail CarrigerBlameless by Gail CarrigerThe Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum by D.L. Mackenzie
Steampunk
72nd out of 336 books — 561 voters

More lists with this book...

Karissa
This is the 5th TP in the Girl Genius series. I have really been loving this series a lot. It’s a lot of fun to read, there is a lot of humor, and I really enjoy the heavy steampunk theme throughout.

Agatha and Krosp (the emperor of cats) are still traveling with Master Payne’s Circus of Adventure. Now the Jaggers have joined the circus too and they are awesome, always itching for a brawl. However, during a performance Agatha’s voice is recognized and she is kidnapped for evil purposes. Who will
Marsha
Traveling with Master Payne’s Circus of Adventure has certainly been lively. Gil Wulfenbach and his family believe her to be dead so she’s safe from them—for the time being. The action and fun continue as three rescued Jägers join the circus.

Jägers are like Klingons only without their common sense (and that’s saying something). They love a good battle and, if they can’t find one, they make one. That increases the action and madcap mayhem considerably. Throw in a grieving machine, love-struck ac
Psychophant
For many years I have followed Girl Genius Webcomic as one of my daily rituals. I have been following the Foglio's quirky humour and idiosyncratic drawings.

What I really like of the series is the depth of scope and worldbuilding, with many details becoming obvious much later than when they appear. As such the recently appeared novels are the perfect complement, as you can finally be inside the head of Agatha, overcoming one of the limitations of comic: wordcount. So instead of being sparse with
Josh
These graphic novels are quite clearly serials. I usually get really bored with the comic book serial style. Which I would characterize as create an interesting opening, then wander around doing not much for 7 years of real time while churning out issues until we sense that we better wrap up the actual story in a way that might have meant something a while ago, but is pretty anti-climactic now. I generally dislike the middle part of this process intensely. But that hasn't happened so far with "G ...more
Raj
Agatha Heterodyne is travelling under cover with her companion Krosp (the emperor of all cats) with a travelling circus on her way to her ancestral home of Mechanicsburg when they are attacked by a horde of monsters. They make it as far as Sturmhalten, a town ruled by a minor Spark, where Agatha's voice is recognised and she is kidnapped for nefarious purposes.

The volume ends with a stinker of a cliffhanger as Agatha seems lost to us, but I knew it was coming up (having read the webcomic online)
Nick
This graphic novel series, suitable for teens or adults, is the best steampunk comedy in the world.
The series is the ongoing saga of a young woman, raised in secrecy by foster parents. What she did not know, until the first volume, was her own identity and the reason for the secrecy. It takes the "lost princess" concept and turns it on its head in remarkable ways.
By this point in the series, Agatha is on the run from various people who either know who she is, or think they do. With the help of a
Tabitha
Oh poor Agatha, just can't catch a break.
I loved this volume of Girl Genius. I was glad to see a pick-up in the action again. I enjoyed the previous foray into backstory, but it was great to have the plot developments a little more integrated into the current action. The truth-serum induced re-cap was hilarious without really trying; I could just see a hovering mother-figure "shut UP Shut UP ShutUP"

---Spoily spoiler---
Maybe I should have seen it coming.. The reveal of Lucrezia as The Other reall
Mary Catelli
More episodes in the tale! Two, in fact, that aren't really connected overtly except in sequence.

Spoilers ahead for earlier volumes.

It opens with Agatha's having another adventure with the circus, full of drama. During a fight, the jagers from the last book show up and fight on their side, and attach themselves to the circus. And Agatha discovers the limits of the circus's willingness to act, and why.

After that, they go through another pass, where there's a prince they have had an unpleasant pas
MerryMeerkat
4 Stars, Buy it

Very silly and fun. Love the art. Agatha Clay is hilarious. In fact most of the characters are silly, wacky and fun, even the “bad guys”.

Summary from Amazon: Agatha Heterodyne is the last heir to the Maddest of Mad Scientist families, and on the run from the current ruler of Europe. In a fairy-tale castle on a mountain pass, she finds herself at the center of an evil plan to bring back one of the deadliest enemies of recent history.
SharlzG
I read all 12 volumes over the space of a few days so can't separate one from the other for the sake of reviews, but can say that I'm not disappointed at having had this pointed out to me, only that it took so long for me to get on the bandwagon.
Mark
A novelized version of the start of the Girl Genius comics. In many places the comic seems more vivid because the Foglio's are such great visual storytellers. However I quite enjoyed the few parts that are new material. If she writes another book, I'd prefer to see something that was mostly original content, perhaps short stories from the back history of various characters? Hopefully including "our favorite bloodthirsty maniac", Bangladesh DuPree!

(For anyone who has read the comic, this book cov
Rony Letona
I don't know how you make the plot so complex and keep it SO EXCITING!!
Gwen (The Gwendolyn Reading Method)
I love these soooo much. you have no idea.
Don
The best thing about being late to a party like this is having a lot to catch up on. That means I can zoom right through the Agatha Heterodyne graphic novels just as quickly as I can get my hands on them. I've probably mentioned this before, but these are the kinds of books I wish comics publishers did more of. Yeah, I enjoy "grim and gritty" comics, I'll admit it. But I also really like the fun ones.

This one is fun. And I can't wait until the next one.
Lori
Originally published online as a Web comic (where it can be found at www.girlgeniusonline.com), this series follows the exploits of a young woman, Agatha, who discovers she is the lost heir to a long-feared dynasty. Instead of a terribly serious version of this tale, the author/artist stick to humor over horrors. Still friends and enemies die, leaving their mark on Agatha as she grows to understand who she is and what she can do.
Miss
Futher revelations about Lucrezia; Agatha takes after her mother; I'm starting to really crave more depth and consistency in her character. The writers only get away with writing Agatha the way they do because so many things keep happening you never think much about her characterization for long. The Van Rijns this volume were pretty though and I like the kitchen sink approach to mythology in this series.
Allison
LOVED IT! Started Vol 6 immediately so I could continue the story. Now I need to get the next installments...the story keeps me captivated and I love the illustrations/comic format. I don't typically read comics or graphic novels but since picking up GG I can see why people enjoy them so much. This might start me reading a whole new genre.
Catherine
Some very well-defined bosoms in this comic. Glad to see the return of one of my favourite characters, he had been far too long absent! I'm not sure how I feel about the Jagerkind (?) though; they're oddly animalistic/tribalized/Othered in ways that I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with.
Roberta
In this volume Agatha becomes an actress in the circus and the author use this fact to tell us more about Agatha's mother and to underline the similarities between them.
The beginning of the volume is a bit slow but it end in a very good way with a hilarious appearance of Gil.
Rob
After our brief reprieve in Book 4, the action picks up again—and gets weird. Agatha finds out who her mother really is, and does not welcome the news. This volume contains more plot twists than a jumbo bag of pretzels, and it's only going to get worse.
Christina (Boupie)
This was one of the prettiest books so far in the series. The circus is full of wonderful characters and so much color. I wish all of the books could be this colorful. Again a very engaging story and I am excited to continue the series. So much fun!
Redparrot
Meh. I hope the others are better. The story is disjointed and comes across as "chapter 5" instead of a complete, stand alone story. That really disappointed me.

The drawings are lovely.

I was expecting more girl power. Sigh.
Stewart Tame
As always, top notch work from the Foglios that hit that sweet spot between drama and funny. Quite a pickle Agatha seems to be in. Looking forward to the next volume to see how she gets out.
Pdoe
Add silliness to taste

Blend.

And enjoy!
Dustin
Another great volume that sets in motion the the schemes of a major foe and some major complications in the life of a Girl Genius.
Aimee
Agatha can be downright annoying, and the dual personalities thing accentuates that. Looking forward to moving on from here.
Coyora Dokusho
Read at least (2) times

Very! Funny! Also, I met the most hate-able and irritating character in the whole series...
Renae
things are getting intense up in here
Julie
A few typoes, reads like a manga, but still very good. A great adventure and so original.
  • Gunnerkrigg Court, Vol. 4: Materia (Gunnerkrigg Court #4)
  • Digger, Volume Three
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Sorcerers & Secretaries (Sorcerers & Secretaries, #2)
  • FreakAngels, Volume 3 (FreakAngels, #3)
  • Iron West
  • Gate 7, Volume 3 (Gate 7, #3)
  • The Scrapyard of Insufferable Arrogance (Schlock Mercenary, #5)
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 12: Platinum Flats
  • Ruse, Vol. 2: The Silent Partner
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 2: Road Trip
A popular science fiction fan artist in the 1970s, Phil Foglio began writing and drawing cartoons and comics professionally in the 1980s. His work includes "Magic: The Gathering," "Buck Godot," and the popular series of comics and novels, "Girl Genius," co-written with his wife, Kaja Foglio.

Awards:
Hugo Award for Best Fan Artist (1977 and 1978)
Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story (2009, 2010, 2011)
More about Phil Foglio...

Girl Genius (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius #1)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius #2)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius #3)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 4: Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 6: Agatha Heterodyne and the Golden Trilobite (Girl Genius #6)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 7: Agatha Heterodyne and the Voice of the Castle (Girl Genius #7)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 8: Agatha Heterodyne and the Chapel of Bones (Girl Genius #8)
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 9: Agatha Heterodyne and the Heirs of the Storm
  • Girl Genius, Vol. 10: Agatha Heterodyne and the Guardian Muse (Girl Genius #10)
  • Girl Genius, vol 11: Agatha Heterodyne and the Hammerless Bell
Girl Genius, Vol. 1: Agatha Heterodyne and the Beetleburg Clank (Girl Genius #1) Girl Genius, Vol. 2: Agatha Heterodyne and the Airship City (Girl Genius #2) Girl Genius, Vol. 3: Agatha Heterodyne and the Monster Engine (Girl Genius #3) Agatha H and the Airship City (Girl Genius Novels, #1) Girl Genius, Vol. 4: Agatha Heterodyne and the Circus of Dreams