Start by marking “Magic Study (Study, #2)” as Want to Read:
Magic Study (Study, #2)

Magic Study (Study #2)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  42,610 ratings  ·  2,994 reviews
YOU KNOW YOUR LIFE IS BAD WHEN YOU MISS YOUR DAYS AS A POISON TASTER...

With her greatest enemy dead, and on her way to be reunited with the family she'd been stolen from long ago, Yelena should be pleased. But though she has gained her freedom, she can't help feeling isolated in Sitia. Her Ixian background has changed her in many ways—and her newfound friends and relatives
Published October 1st 2006 by Luna (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Study, please sign up.

Noor This site isn't for reading books, it to read about them, write and read reviews, track the books you read, or you want to read, and so on.:)
Noor books aren't available on this site, it's just to track the books you've read, the books you want to read, your reviews, know about the books, read…morebooks aren't available on this site, it's just to track the books you've read, the books you want to read, your reviews, know about the books, read summaries, look for new ones to read and so on. :)
i had the same though first time on this site,
utterly depressing at first but it's a really nice site.(less)

Sasha Alsberg
Maria has done it again, she's created a beautifully captivating story that had you on the edge of your seat from the first page until the last!
One of my favorite series to date!
Tatiana
More like 2.5 stars actually, but I am being extremely generous in the memory of "Poison Study."

I enjoyed the first 300 pages of the book just as much as "Poison Study." Yelena's relationship with her family and Zaltana clan, the world of Sitia, the magic lessons, the mystery of a magician serial killer and political intrigue involving a contender to Ixian throne - all these aspects were written very well and in a very engaging manner.

However, right about page 300 to 400 something went wrong wi
Heather
I am at a complete loss. I found Poison Study to be an amazing book, with an engaging plot, real, intriguing characters and excellent writing. Magic Study begins much the same, until around page 240, and then it takes a nose dive through crazy town. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. For a book that began with a five star rating, Snyder had to work to make this book as non-sensual as it ended up being. Here are a few of my qualms.

Yelena, once resourceful, intelligent, honorabl
Lyndsey
Considering how often Yelena was injured, captured, and beat-to-a-pulp in this follow-up to Poison Study - I felt this picture summed it up best:

There are considerably more DOH! moments in this book, as opposed to the zero in the last book. Quite a few times, I felt myself wanting to smack some sense into Yelena. Especially toward the beginning of the book, she didn't seem to be her reliable calculating and resourceful old self.

Instead of reading, like I did with Poison Study, I listened to the
Julie Kagawa
In this sequel to Poison Study (which I loved), Yelena must travel to her homeland to learn how to control her magic, and meet a family she thought lost forever.

While I still enjoyed the book immensely, I felt that Magic Study wasn't quite as good as Poison Study. The unique sense of danger was gone, and the poison angle, which made the first book so fascinating, was completly non-existent. Still, it was a very good story, and Yelena still manages to get into one scrape after another. Valek make
Chloe
I enjoyed this a lot more than Poison Study! Cannot wait to read the next one!
“Your soul fits the void in my soul perfectly. I’ve no doubt you’re mine. I hope you’ll call me Mother, but if you can’t you can call me Perl.”

This was so much better than Poison Study!

I liked Yelena in this book, she was a strong character, she had multiple things going on at once and somehow found a way to juggle them. She did put herself in dangerous situations, but it was always with the best intentions.

“Men exploded from the bushes with their swords in hand. But the element of surprise w
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
Update 5/4/15:
My original rating for this book was 3 stars... but after re-reading it I don't understand why! I seem to remember it being because of Valec's limited appearances however it meant I anticipated, as well as enjoyed, the scenes that much more second time around <3

Original review 11/4/14:
3.5 STARS

I’ve got mixed feelings towards this book. As Yelena is faced with even more problems you see her strength shine through even more and I know I’ve said this before but it takes a lot of ch
Mimi
3 stars

I like it more than Poison Study, but I also have more issues with it than Poison Study, mostly they have to do with Yelena's character and magical development.

Full review of the Study Trilogy at Wordpress
Sheree
Mar 13, 2009 Sheree rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of fantasy and magic

In the sequel to Poison Study, we follow Yelena, in exile, back to her homeland of Sitia where she is to study under the fourth Magician, Irys. After a reunion with the family that she hasn't seen since she was kidnapped at the age of 6, Yelena travels on to the Citadel to begin her training; to develop, harness and control her magic.

The writing in Magic Study is definitely more refined, descriptive without being tedious and on a whole more enjoyable. There were none of the annoyances
AH
Yelena reminds me of Benjamin Linus in the TV series Lost -- she always seems to get captured and beat up...

In this sequel to Poison Study, I felt a little disappointed.
What disappointed me was the characterization of our heroine. In
Poison Study, Yelena had a difficult time, forced to choose execution or death as a poison taster. But she prevailed and overcame the difficulties that arose. In this book, Yelena seems rather helpless at times. She is betrayed, ambushed, captured, bound, and beaten
Sath
Yelena's recent 'outing' as a magic user, has made her outcast from Ixia. Now she returns to Sitia, the country she was born in but taken from as a young child. Yelena rediscovers her lost family and culture, and then goes on to train with the master magicians, to learn to control and develop her new-found magic abilities. But it's not an easy change for Yelena, and many people openly reject her, including her brother, and the would-be king of Ixia, Cahil. And then of course Yelena cannot help b ...more
Cortney
Ms. Snyder you know Valek is the badass that we all love and can't get enough of, so why make us suffer through 250 pages before he finally shows up. I couldn't even enjoy the story because all I kept thinking was, "Where the hell is Valek?"

Magic Study is pretty much a watered down version of Poison Study, minus Valek.
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4.5 Stars...

That was MIND BLOWING... Almost as good as POISON STUDY, ALMOST...

description

I loved exploring Yelena's powers and seeing what she's really capable of after everything she's been through. This was an epic follow up and I can't WAIT to read FIRE STUDY, then... SHADOW STUDY when it releases next month!!

WHOOT

BRING IT ON....

~~~~~EDIT REVIEW~~~~~

4.5 Stars

MAGIC STUDY was a spiraling world of magic, love, survival, determination, all weaved around the magical elements of danger, betrayal
Nemo (the Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

SUMMARY
Yelena has arrived in Sitia and is immediately swept into family politics, magician politics, and a serial killer plot as she reconnects with her parents, learns to control her magic, and tries to keep the peace between the factions bristling for war.
WORLDBUILDING
I love Snyder’s world, although I did miss the order and regulation of Ixia. Ixia’s a military-run dictatorship, for lack of a better understanding, having overthrown
Kay
Feb 01, 2012 Kay rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: posion study super uber mega fans
Recommended to Kay by: not the talking horse over there
In the spirit of my review of Poison Study yesterday, I felt compelled to review the second installment of the series...even though I didn't really finish reading it.

That's right, I didn't read all of it. I gave it a serious effort, perhaps up until the halfway mark. But then I skimmed until the 60% mark and dropped it.

I really couldn't get into the book. Yelena and I had never bonded even after the first book, so when she leaves the borders of Ixia to find her family, I found some of the reuni
Inspired Kathy
Loved this book! It was one of those books I didn't want to put down so I didn't. Got to go quickly clean my house so I can start the last book Fire Study!

Originally read in May 2009
Reread in February 2015

Content: Implied sex but no scene
Jessica Smith
I did end up reading this, more out of curiosity than anything. Turns out I should have listened to Tatiana's wise, discerning reviews.

Magic Study pales in comparison to its predecessor. I know sequels are supposed to suck compared to the first book in a series, but to fall from the decently written Poison Study to this disappointment is mind-boggling. Snyder has proven she can write with clarity, formulate a plot, and craft interesting characters (Yelena being the one exception), so why in Magi
Gökçe
Başlarda biraz sıkılsam da sonrasında kitap toparlandı. Dövüş sahneleri falan çok güzeldi. Özellikle birkaç diyalog acayip komik ve eğlenceliydi. Valek zaten her zaman ki mükemmeldi <3 Dangalak Cahil ise... Ay, o beyinsizle ilgili pek söylenecek bir şeyim yok.
Jeannette Nikolova
Should I state the obvious?
This book is worse than the last one.
The rating is very subjective. I feel that 1 star is too harsh a rating, considering that it's not such an epic fail but 2 stars also seems misleading. Because it's not that good of a book, to be honest.

This time around everyone is utterly flat and one-dimensional, except for Yelena.
First off, I was really let down by the fact that Valek only appeared after the middle of the book, along with the awesome power twins.
Not to mentio
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
4.5 Stars

Yelena has been banished from Ixia after having discovered that she has forbidden magical abilities and now heads to Sitia to be trained in their academy. She is also meeting her real family for the first time since she was kidnapped when she was 6, but the reunion isn't as perfect as she hoped when she sees the resentment her brother holds for her. Meanwhile a killer has been stalking Sitia, torturing and raping young girls, and it looks like Yelena may be next on his list of victims.

I
FlibBityFLooB
I read the first couple chapters of this book with growing concern that I would not enjoy it nearly as much as I enjoyed the first book in the trilogy. However, I am happy to say that I was wrong. Once the storyline for the book was established, I really grew into the action. As with the previous novel, I was enthralled. Definitely a good series. Going to start the next book! :)

Favorite quotes:

"Esau is here with me, but when you mother found out you were missing, she climbed a tree and we can't
Jessica
While there were a few predictable elements to this storyline, it was still as enjoyable and as easy a read as the first novel. There were a few points where I was a wee-bit annoyed by Yelena, and amazed that a character so smart could be so infuriatingly blind about some things, but I guess that adds to her personality and builds the story.

I was thrilled to see that the story allowed for the reappearance of Janco, Ari and Valek, and was pleasantly surprised by the fourth member of the delegatio
colleen the fabulous fabulaphile
3.5-ish

This book was very readable, so much so that I read most of it in one day, and stayed up past my bedtime to finish it. And there are parts of it I really liked - like seeing some of my favorite characters from the first book show up, and watching some badassery go down.

And I really liked the bits with her and the horses - both Topaz and Kiki. Kiki, especially, made me smile, and I liked the Sandseeds and the Story Weaver guy a lot.

But...

A lot of the new characters were annoying me. Leif,
Karin
I finished Magic Study this morning. This is the sequel to Poison Study. In the second book, Yelena attempts to learn how to use her magical powers at the Citadel in the country she was kidnapped from as a child. Going home isn't as easy as it sounds. She hasn't seen her parents or her brother in fourteen years. Irys, the Fourth Magician, is the one who is escorting her and takes her to meet her parents before they head to the Citadel. Yelena's parents live in the trees above a jungle. An intric ...more
Marga
“Living is a risk...Every decision, every interaction, every step, every time you get out of bed in the morning, you take a risk. To survive is to know you're taking that risk and to not get out of bed clutching illusions of safety.”

I still liked this book! I devoured it pretty fast because it was that good! Yeah, Poison Study is better than this one but that does not mean that this is a bad book. I just felt like there is just too much happening and one thing is not even finished or solved and
Morgan F
I liked this one considerably less than the first for a variety of reasons. It just didn't (pardon the pun) have the magic of the first.

I preferred the story when there was less fantasy aspects, and it was mainly just a survival story. Now it is your typical I'm-so-special-because-I-gots-magic story. That just seems, I don't know, so conforming.

I also found the plot tedious. How many times can Yelena get captured and rescued? Apparently every flippin' times she goes outside.

And I hated everyon
April
Originally reviewed here link goes live 4.13.12

Friends, is there a Maria V. Snyder fan club that I can join? Seriously, I have yet to be displeased by one of her books. As I read Magic Study, the second book in the Study Series in 2010, please don’t expect lots of intricate details in this review because um, I don’t have the greatest memory EVER.

Magic Study opens with the main character, Yelena, about to enter the Zaltana homestead. But, I should back up a little. Yelena has left Ixia and sigh,
Galla
After being exiled from Ixia because of her magical abilities, Yelena arrives in Sitia to meet her family and train in magic use. Her mother and father welcome her with open arms, but her brother Leif is convinced she is now an Ixian spy, and he's not alone in his mistrust. Meanwhile, there's a mysterious magician on the loose in Sitia who is brutalizing and murdering young women, and Yelena becomes embroiled in the efforts to stop him--at huge risk to her own safety.

Poison Study was a great op
TJ
Another installment that I absolutely love! The second in a trilogy, "Magic Study" grips the reader from page one and doesn't let go until the last page is savored. Snyder creates a world where magic abounds then makes it seem amazingly believable. Her characters are real, with flaws and strengths one can relate to. Their decisions, while not always correct, are understandable, making the story more interesting and the people who inhabit this world much more sympathetic

The only drawback would be
  • Heroes Adrift (Hero, #3)
  • Cast In Courtlight (Chronicles of Elantra #2)
  • Warlord  (Chronicles of the Warlands, #3)
  • Princess of the Sword (Nine Kingdoms, #3)
  • King of Sword and Sky (Tairen Soul, #3)
  • Bewitched & Betrayed (Raine Benares #4)
  • Raven Flight (Shadowfell, #2)
  • Clan Daughter (Queen of the Orcs, #2)
  • Heir to the Shadows (The Black Jewels, #2)
  • Liar's Moon (Thief Errant, #2)
  • Princess at Sea (Princess, #2)
  • Deadly Games (The Emperor's Edge, #3)
  • The Thirteenth House (Twelve Houses, #2)
Meteorologist turned novelist, Maria's been writing fantasy and science fiction since she was bored at work and needed something creative to do. A dozen novels and numerous short stories later, Maria's learned a thing or three about writing. She’s been on the New York Times bestseller list, won a half-dozen awards, and has earned her MA degree in Writing from Seton Hill University where she's been ...more
More about Maria V. Snyder...

Study (6 books)
  • Poison Study (Study, #1)
  • Fire Study (Study, #3)
  • Shadow Study (Soulfinders, #1)
  • Night Study (Soulfinders, #2)
  • Dawn Study (Soulfinders, #3)
Poison Study (Study, #1) Fire Study (Study, #3) Touch of Power (Healer, #1) Inside Out (Insider, #1) Storm Glass (Glass, #1)

“Living is a risk,' I snapped at him. 'Every decision, every interaction, every step, every time you get out of bed in the morning, you take a risk. To survive is to know you're taking that risk and to not get out of bed clutching illusions of safety.” 331 likes
“He made a weak attempt to look innocent, but I knew better. 'Should I guess how many concealed weapons you have or should I strip search you?'

'A strip search is the only way to be absolutely certain.' Valek's deep blue eyes danced with delight.”
237 likes