Living Witness (Gregor Demarkian, #24)

Living Witness (Gregor Demarkian #24)

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  42 reviews
In her 91 years, Ann-Victoria Hadley has often been the most hated person in Snow Hill, Pennsylvania. But now, it’s worse than ever. After a new school board inserted “intelligent design” into the curriculum, they were sued by a coalition including Hadley, the one member of the board who wouldn’t go along with the rest. With the trial about to start and the town a national...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Minotaur Books

Janet
All the talk about Creationism, secular humanism, who is and is not a Christian, and various characters' opinions on all of the above gave me a headache throughout the book. Aside from that the plot was pretty good.
Caitlin
I like Jane Haddam's Gregor Demarkian series, although it's slightly different than what I typically read in the mystery/thriller genre. I tend more towards cop books & forenisc books with the occasional political or legal thriller thrown in for good measure. Haddam's books are more closely related to Miss Marple - no, they're not British nor are they typically set in a small town, but in their own way they nicely fit the small village murder model. At least in my mind.

These books always mak...more
LJ
First Sentence: If Ann-Victoria Hadley had been forced to tell the truth—and she never had to be forced; she always told the truth—she would have to admit this was not the first time she had been the most hated person in Snow Hill, Pennsylvania.

An attack on elderly, yet indomitable, Ann-Victoria Hadley summons ex-FBI agent Gregor Demarkian from Philadelphia to the small town of Snow Hill, PA. Ms. Hadley, now in a coma, was part of a law suit against bringing “intelligent design” into the school’...more
Joy
Snow Hill is the kind of town where a member of the School Board can follow someone down the street yelling, "You're going to Hell!" What's more, still be considered a good Christian. So when the person who was being yelled at gets home to her supposedly-empty house and is battered into a coma, the lines are drawn. On one side are the Fundamentalists, and on the other side are the "atheists," meaning any non-Fundamentalist. There are a few nice people in the town, and because of them - and to es...more
Nancy
I read close to half this book thinking it would get better, but I finally gave up. The characters in this book don't ring true. It is hard to believe that even stupid people in a small town who follow a fundamentalist religion would think much about what college a woman in her 90's attended and obsess on how "she thinks she'd better than us." Even if a latter day Scopes Trial is the biggest news in town, people think and talk about other things. In my experience very religious people in small t...more
Susan
When Annie-Vic Hadley, the 90 + member of the Snow Hill, PA school board, is attacked and left for dead, the local police chief, also on the school board, is afraid that he and the other members who opposed Annie-Vic on the creationism-evolution controversy will be suspects. He gets Gregor Demarkian to help--Demarkian, who is to be married in a few weeks, is glad to flee the wedding preparations. Both sides in the controversy are sure that the other is at fault. Only a few people, like a fundame...more
Birdeena
The various viewpoints on evolution and of religion in schools seemed to be realistic. I think I really liked Nick Frapp's veiws the best, probably because I believe you need to see all sides, whether it is religion or evolution, for the truth of the subject to become evident to you. Each person will have their own truth, but it would be based on a variety of information and views on the subject. I disliked the characters of Henry Wackford (atheist), and Alice McGruffie (Fundamentalist)...not so...more
Susanne
This was the first book I read by this author, and I very much respect her for choosing such an interesting setting for a mystery. The plot revolves around an attempted murder of an iconoclastic older woman who lives in a rural American community dominated by born-again Christians who are deeply divided about whether to include creationism/scientific design in the local high school curricula. Haddam provides a very nuanced portrayal of the different faith issues involved. I have since read one o...more
Carol
I like Jane Haddam a lot, mainly because of her series characters, Gregor Demarkian and Bennis Hannaford. This one is a good mystery with an interesting twist or two at the end, and with many long discussions of the evolution/intelligent design debate in the middle. She is pretty fair in presenting the different sides - some of the evolutionists are jerks, some are reasonable and earnest people. And there are both varieties among the Christians as well. In the end, though, there was a bit more i...more
Larry Zieminski
This was the fist (and only) book of Jane Haddam's that I've read. I generally don't jump into the middle of a series, but the subject matter (teaching of evolution vs. creationism) interested me so I read it. Unfortunately I didn't get much from the book. The characters seem to trot out the same tired arguments we hear on the subjects, without adding anything new to the equation. The mystery itself was interesting, but felt like it was wrapped up almost as an afterthought. I don't expect to con...more
Kyrie
I love Haddam's stories! This one is about a 91 year old woman who sure doesn't act 91 and the town she's lived in all her life. She's suing the school board over "Intelligent Design" and she's attacked. There's a whole lot more going on - a very conservative religious school, lots of small town politics, and a huge surprise ending. I really enjoy how Gregor Demarkian's mind works as he figures things out. Twisted through all this info are tales of Gregor and Bennis' wedding plans.
Cheryl
I was disappointed that Haddam used this book for a rant against creationism and for the scientific acceptance of evolution. The book was presented as a mystery but the mystery was so thin as to be nonexistent only serving as the backdrop for the author to harangue the reader. My views on the evolution/creationism debate aside, I felt the book was misrepresented. Since this was the frst book I have read by Haddam, I must admit I am a little reluctant to read another.
Mascanlon
Gregor Demarkian is only to happy to help determine who viciously beat a 91 yr old school board member in Snow Hill, Pa. The ladies on Cavanaugh Street or all busy helping Bennis plan there up coming wedding and Gregor is in the way! Of course the plot is thick with an ongoing fight over Intelligent Design vs the teaching of evolution in the Snow Hill HS so there are lots of suspects and red herrings. Another erudite outing by the former FBI agent turned PI.
Judy
I have liked this series for a long time, but the last two have been wordy - lots of exposition and author philosophy coming through. It makes for slow going. This book, set in a small town in Pennsylvania and centering around a controversy about teaching evolution in the local school, picked up as it went along. I will definitely read more of Jane Haddam's books - she's a good writer - but I wouldnn't mind reading a new series.
Marcy
Having heard lots good about this series, I wanted to like this book. At first, the premise sounded interesting. A murder amidst the heated debate between ardent evolutionists and those favoring a theory of "intelligent design" had many possiblities, howvever the author descended into numerous extremist rants and presented obnoxious characatures on both sides. Finding nothing and no one worthy, I just gave it up.
Cynthia Sillitoe
Ok, this book is one I read when I need characters who annoy me. Basically, it's a murder mystery in a small town arguing over Evolution. Characters on both sides are stereotypical, totally black and white, and yet when I'm in a certain mood, I just love it. And it's given me some great lines like: "She's nothing but a secular humanist." Throw that into a conversation someday...
Jeannen
This is the most recent of the many books in the Gregor Demarkian series. There are elements of the story -- the parts about Demarkian's personal life -- that are probably best appreciated if you've been following the series over the years, but the core story is a good one, and I did not see the solution to the mystery coming at all.
Elizabeth
Great mystery! The theme was creation vs evolution. I think both sides of the parties were overly done as being highly fanatical. Most people I know in each category don't fit those stereotypes. I also had a hard time figuring out the geography of Pa, being I know it pretty well! lol. But those things did not detract from a good mystery.
Irene
Away for weekend, finished my other book, so started on what my husband had just finished. He's read many of the Gregor Demarkian books. So far it's ok but a bit slow-moving.
Moved faster once I had the time to read several chapters continuously. Not destined to become a favorite series, but will probably seek out others in this set.
Eunira
Living Witness is a take on the evolution vs. creationism controversy.
Jane Haddam creates rich characters and plots full of twists, but this book is not as satisfying as some of her previous book, like Cheating at Solitaire.
Bennis and Gregor finally get married, but there weren't enough details of the wedding to make me happy.
Kate
Gregor Demarkian investigates the attempted murder of a small-town school board member while the town is fighting about evolution-is-a-theory textbook stickers. First time I've felt like Haddam's own opinion on a topic might be different from her detective's, and as usual a nice mix of mystery & political philosophy.
Diane
Jane Hadddam is one of my very favorite mystery authors. It is amazing to me that this book is so good when it is around the 25th book in the series. In fact, the books keep getting better, the later ones are better than the early ones. I think of these as somewhat "intellectual mysteries."
Sandy
This was an amazing book. The story itself was good but the discussions about the current attitudes about evolution, intelligent design, creationism, secular humanism, etc. were well researched and interesting. It was a very scary book, not for the actual mystery, but for the thoughts.
Rachel
Although there were a few holes in the end of the mystery, this was overall a fun read. It provided a way to discuss evolution versus creationism in the context of a larger story. The characters were well developed and believable. I enjoyed that they weren't one dimensional
Patricia
Good mystery revolving around the issues of creationism v. evolution. The attractive and unattractive characters were evenly distributed on either side of the question. Probably one of my favorite of the none holicay Haddam mysteries.
Eva
Three stars for being easy to read and a decent mystery. I did not like the constant creationism/evolution banter. It was boring and painted the characters as very one-sided and simplistic. A fine light read for those who enjoy mysteries.
Catherine Woodman
Maybe it is just me but I think Demarkian has changed over time. He has less intensity, although this book has a nicely convoluted plot that spends a good amount of time getting to the end in a pleasant way.
Eve
I really like this series but while this was a good addition to the series it was much harder for me to engage in and I think I completed it more because I like the series than I was into the mystery.
Dee
The story was not bad, but the library edition I read had so many editing errors that I found it distracting. It was like it had not been proofread at all.
Mary Ellen
Gregor Demarkian takes a nuanced look at the debate over teaching evolution in public schools - I would like to read more of Haddam's novels.
  • The Caveman's Valentine
  • Dead or Alive (Kevin Kerney, #12)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • Cut, Paste, Kill (Lomax & Biggs, #4)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Death and the Lit Chick (A St. Just Mystery, #2)
  • Mandarin Plaid
  • Bones (Irene Kelly, #7)
  • A Rumpole Christmas: Stories
  • World's Greatest Sleuth!
  • Dope Thief
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • Vineyard Chill (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #19)
  • Devil's Plaything
  • Locked In (Sharon McCone, #27)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)
  • Jester Leaps In (Fools' Guild, #2)
  • The Price of Butcher's Meat (Dalziel & Pascoe, #23)
Aka Orania Papazoglou

Jane Haddam (b. 1951) is an American author of mysteries. Born Orania Papazoglou, she worked as a college professor and magazine editor before publishing her Edgar Award–nominated first novel, Sweet, Savage Death, in 1984. This mystery introduced Patience McKenna, a sleuthing scribe who would go on to appear in four more books, including Wicked, Loving Murder (1985) and Rich,...more
More about Jane Haddam...
Not a Creature was Stirring (Gregor Demarkian, #1) Precious Blood (Gregor Demarkian, #2) The Headmaster's Wife (Gregor Demarkian, #20) Cheating at Solitaire (Gregor Demarkian, #23) Glass Houses (Gregor Demarkian, #22)