Start by marking “When Randolph Turned Rotten” as Want to Read:
When Randolph Turned Rotten

When Randolph Turned Rotten

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  17 reviews
MOST OF THE TIME, Randolph is very, very nice. But when his friend Ivy gets invited to a really great sleepover birthday party and he doesn't, Randolph feels a little left out, and sad, and mad. And then he goes a little crazy! Will he ever turn back to the nice friend he once was? We hope so! This nutty friendship story recognizes that even best friends aren't always good ...more
Library Binding, 40 pages
Published November 13th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about When Randolph Turned Rotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Randolph Turned Rotten

Liane
Genre: Picture Book

Reading Level: Early

Topics & Themes: Friendship. Jealousy. Guilt. Sleepovers. Birthdays. Behavior. Forgiveness

Curricular Use: Guided-reading would be the best. Shared-reading and read-aloud would be too confusing with the text and pictures not in a typical pattern.

Social: Emotions. Forgiveness. Gender: Randolph not invited to the girls-only party

Literary Elements: Humor. Main characters a Beaver and a Duck

Text & Pictures: Interaction between text and pictures. Pictures
Alice
This is a fun book about friendship. It is funny, fun, silly, and how to deal with jealousy.. and how to forgive. This book made me laugh and we will always have "don't eat the seesaw" "oh I am just smelling the wood"
paula
Love Charise Mericle Harper. Love Flush: The Scoop on Poop Throughout the Ages, love Fashion Kitty, love love love The Monster Show: Everything You Never Knew About Monsters.

Her sense of humor and faux-naive maximalist illustration style are to love. And When Randolph Turned Rotten is the best yet! Every panel, every page will make my kids helpless with laughter. The moment when Randolph turns, he goes from Best Friend Randolph, with 'rainbow-filled-with-love-insides' (there's an arrow pointing
Jackie
When Randolph the beaver learns that his best friend Ivy, the goose is invited to a girls-only sleepover party, he's a little bit jealous and whole-lot-of mad. So, he decides to pack Ivy's suitcase with things she doesn't need, tell her about the scary animals that live by the beach, and send her off with unnecessary worries. Then, he starts to feel guilty, because best friends don't sabotage their friends happiness.

What Randolph doesn't know, though, is that he just happened to pack the very t
Apr 09, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, children ages 4-8
Recommended to Jennifer by: Anna at U. Bookstore
It's impossible to resist Randolph and his "rotten-ness", in this quirky book about jealousy and friendship. This is a great read!

CIP: Best friends Randolph, a beaver, and Ivy, a goose, do everything together until Ivy is invited to a girls-only birthday sleepover party and Randolph, full of bad feelings, tries to spoil her fun.

"A charmer of a read." Kirkus Reviews
"Readers will recognize a bit of theirselves in Randolph." School Library Journal (starred review)
Recognizepromise
This is a decent story about jealousy, being mean to a friend, and the guilty feelings that result. The pages are more interactive than usual with dialogue between characters as well as the story's narration. Recommended for children in primary grades, particularly those having problems with behavior.
Dolly
Jan 10, 2010 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a fun story about jealousy and friendship. Our girls enjoyed it, especially the part about the campfire on the beach. It's a good story to read aloud to children before starting a conversation about how to be a good friend.
Jen
Randolph is normally a really nice beaver, but when his best friend Ivy the goose gets invited to a girls only party, Randolph gets really naughty and then later regrets his actions.
Alicia
I did not like the narration interspersed with the cartoon conversations. When I read a book aloud I want to read from start to finish, not stop to read the comic.
Rebecca Dean
This is a great book for children to read. Friendship are very fragile at this age so it is important for them to know what jealousy is and how to deal with it.
Rachel Anne
Haha, this book and it's "Stinky, Rotten Insides" made me laugh like crazy...

Why am I reading so many children's books lately?
Tricia
not a good read aloud for girls or storytime. has little cartoon bubbles throughout that accompany the story text.
Mr. Pe Mr. Pe
this is a great book and i recommend it to everyone
Adrienne Furness
This made me laugh out loud--funny *and* true.
Cana
Cute illustrations. Good story.
Julia
I love the tight marshmallow necklace!!
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Gabby
Gabby added it
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Just Grace (Just Grace, #1) Fashion Kitty Still Just Grace (Just Grace, #2) Cupcake Just Grace Walks the Dog (Just Grace, #3)