Start by marking “Fire Raiser (Spellbinder, #2)” as Want to Read:
Fire Raiser (Spellbinder, #2)

Fire Raiser (Spellbinder #2)

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  322 ratings  ·  38 reviews

Bestseller Melanie Rawn plunges down the back stairs of the old South into a dark world of family secrets and the international flesh trade that lies underneath the surface of small town politics and romance.

Holly McClure and Evan Lachlan have survived the fiery beginning of their romance and left Manhattan for Holly?s ancestral home to raise their children. Evan?s the

Published April 14th 2009 by Tor Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Fire Raiser, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire Raiser

Kevin
Sigh. I wanted to like this book. I really did. "Spellbinder" was pretty good, though neither book compares with Rawn's Sunrunner or (STILL uncompleted) Exiles series. This book, however, was clearly a "middle book" very open-ended, heading for a trilogy.

I honestly had a problem with the constant sociopolitical screed in reference to gay rights that the book featured, in my opinion, at the expense of story. I actually agree with Rawn's politics on this issue; I'm a member of the LGBT community m
Kristin
Read from 1/15 to 1/20. I liked the first in this series, but I found this novel to be a huge disappointment. The plot didn't really get started until more than halfway through the book, with the interim filled with tirades about gay rights and slams against the Bush administration. I am of the opinion that I shouldn't be able to tell an author's political leanings by reading their fiction. Clumsily written and badly plotted... not what I expected from Rawn.
Carol
Liked Jamey and Cam as characters go, both separately and as a couple. If Gib and Erika could have been more annoying and insufferable, I'm not sure how. Thankfully, they never resurfaced after the cocktail party. I could hope they'd taken a dip in the pool to cool down, I suppose, but they'll resurface, no doubt, in the next installment. The baby twist was just plain silly -- they could piece together the cause of the fires but not figure out whose baby this was? And the preaching got pretty he ...more
Stacy
Ostensibly, this is a mystery story about a series of church fires in Holly's hometown, which Evan, as the acting sheriff, is investigating. We are also introduced to Holly's cousin Cam, back from international travel helping other countries write their constitutions, and Jamey, the new district attorney. Coincidentally (or not so, as it happens), Cam and Jamey have a past--an unconsummated attraction from their time together at Yale. If the book had stuck to those two storylines exclusively, it ...more
Jeffrey
May 07, 2009 Jeffrey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only Rawn fans
This latest from Melanie Rawn about some modern day witches in Pocohontas County and their run in with both a arsonist and a nasty enemy is bogged down with too much discussion of philosophy, the romantic history of the characters some gay and some straight and flashbacks that slow the story down to a near crawl. So when we finally get to the magic we have been bored to tears. Plus the whole secret with Bella being hurt was just dumb.

I liked Spellbinder, but this novel was just not as good.
Wendy Hines
Black magic, rituals, and everyday life in a small town set the tone for this excellent paranormal fantasy.
Evan Lachlan and his wife Holly McClure, a witch, have moved from Manhattan to her hometown in Virginia to raise their young children. The town is known for having the most witches in one place in the entire country. Most of the oldest families’ business is witchcraft. Holly is a spellbinder, and appreciates that Evan has opened his mind to the magic in her family.

Evan is the county sheriff
I'd give it a 2.5 -

This is the first Melanie Rawn book I’ve read and I am not sure what to think. Essentially it’s supposed to be a supernatural mystery with a bit of romance. I liked the concept of a family of witches with various powers, vampire and werewolf friends, etc. However, the author’s execution on this particular book made for a confusing read (too many points of view with too many flashbacks and a lack of clarity on the time frame) along with way too many liberal “preaching” rants.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Unfortunately my library didnt have the first in this series so I probably missed a few threads along the way.
Initially I found it hard to get into - I was sick at the time so not at my sharpest and what threw me most was Evan Lachlan being referred to as either name - it took me a while to figure out it was the same person (since Evan and Lachlan are both common first names - and I was feverish lol) There were also a lot of flashbacks that were pretty jarring but I eventually found a rythym an
Kris
This book took FOREVER to really go anywhere as an entertaining novel. I know the cover copy has "political" in it but I expected it to be worked in with the plot, not sledgehammered at the reader for at least half the book. I ended up skimming for quite a while, trying to avoid putting the book down altogether. It didn't start getting good until about the 3/4 mark, when the political stuff took a backseat for a minute and the magic stuff came out.
I never did get rewarded for my sticking it out
Rich Stoehr
I struggled to remember, as I slogged my way through Fire Raiser, just what it was I liked about the first volume in the series (Spellbinder). I've enjoyed Melanie Rawn's work for many years, and while Spellbinder was a definite departure for her, on its own merit it was a decent book.

Spellbinder had its flaws, but there was a real story there, with suspense and romance and sex that integrates magic with the real world skillfully, one that kept me reading all the way through. Ah - so that's what
Loralee
You know there's something wrong when the biggest suspense in a book involving witches, magical arsonists, human trafficking, and forced impregnation, is whether the two gay men will get together. Though there is action that starts halfway through the book, it takes a 120 page party, political commentary, unrelated social encounters, and kiddie chocolate fingers to get there. (You think it's hard to believe in magic--try suspending disbelief when the mom LETS her chocolaty children smear huggy f ...more
Michelle
If you love Melanie Rawn's other books, you'll be disappointed. While Spellbinder was fairly mediocre, I did like it. However, I am wishing I read something else instead of wasting my time on Fire Raiser.

The plot had a lot of potential which was never reached. Instead, we're treated to the main character launching into political rants relevant to events 7-8 years ago, as well as certain hot-button topics. Despite the fact I lean the same direction, the excessive ranting in the form of dialogue w
Sally
I love most of Melanie Rawn's books. Spellbinder was a departure from her previous lands of magic, but it was a decent read. But I struggled through Fire Raiser. I normally plow through a book that size in a couple of nights (this took well over a week). It was very preachy, and by the end, I felt I had been inundated with propaganda rather than told a story. And yes, I get it, Holly is totally in love with her husband and vice versa. You don't need to club me over the head with it.

Its at least
Kara
I completely understand why so many on Amazon dissed this book, but I believe they missed the point. This is a contemporary, paranormal fantasy rather than a typical Rawn epic fantasy. In that genre, it's an excellent read. The main character is "talky," yes, but I know people like that, and it's perfectly normal in my world.

As far as the novel goes, it fits perfectly in the series as a great continuation from the first novel. It introduces fun characters, brings the story further, and it's a f
Tracy
This is a book that is in desperate need of a ruthless editor. There is a plot, eventually. But the first half (Two-thirds? Too much!) of the book is chock-full of Rawn's standard overly-twee romance... And the politics. Dear lord, the politics. I agree with her (or her characters) and even I found this part completely overwhelming and overly preachy. If she really wants to write about politics so badly, maybe she should have started a blog instead.

I always found Rawn's greatest strength to be h
Dianne
Some books can stand alone even though they are part of a series. This one does--sort of. Parts were very confusing, and I felt like I only had a fraction of the story. There were references to a backstory that it felt like the author wanted me, the reader, to know--and I didn't. That being said, I really enjoyed the story, and am now actively looking for the first book in the series.
el
i READ THIS BOOK IN TWO DAYS. I HAD ENJOYED SPELLBINDER A GREAT DEAL AND HAD LOOKED FORWARD TO THIS BOOK. I WAS NOT DISAPPOINTED AND HOPING THAT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER BOOK IN THE FUTURE. THERE IS A LOT OF POLITICAL/SOCIAL COMMENTARY BUT I AM FROM MASSACHUSETTS SO IT DID NOT BOTHER ME. I WAS NOT FAMILIAR WITH HER EARLIER BOOKS SO WAS NOT EXPECTING ANYTHING THAT THIS BOOK MIGHT NOT BE.
Tiffany Adams
I actually liked this one better than the first, but I feel as though there are some considerable gaps in this storyline that plague me--what about the room at woodhush? Holly has to figure out about the kid!! who is the Russian guy? how does her parents murder tie in to all this? in other words, I need the big picture now!! there had better be a third or so help me...;)
Spazfungus
a lot better than Spellbinder, makes a few very interesting points about relationships (a lot of it is common sense, but the type of common sense you don't really notice until it is pointed out. Written by Rawn, it is a lot more beautiful to real than a self-help book), still a little disjointed, upsetting that the series was cancelled just when it gets interesting
Jen Christopherson
Defintly not as good as her first and second book in the series of Exiles. It was my first urban fantasy and I was not impressed. The writing was good. The story line was fine. The characters were great, the best part. I think it lacked passion, imagination, something in books that is unwritten, or not consciensely written.
Anne Barwell
I enjoyed the story plus revisiting characters from the previous book, and being introduced to new ones. I loved the banter and relationships between the different characters, and would happily read more of this series if it was written. Very much an ensemble story, rather than focusing on just Holly and Evan.
Jenn
I want Melanie Rawn's books to all be as good as the Dragon Prince books, but they're not...but I still this one entertaining. I just think her first book series was so amazing that I automatically compare all her other books to the Dragon Prince Trilogy..but nothing will ever match up.
Dionis
Sep 19, 2010 Dionis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!!
This book was absolutely captivating and other than it interfered with me getting things done until it was finished, I was very sorry to see it end. I've got it in paperback and would be glad to lend it to anyone as I probably won't reread it this year!

Jammies
This would have been a good book if Ms. Rawn had been able to refrain from using it as a vehicle to snarl at the readers who were upset (and Internet-vocal) about her failure to finish the Exiles series.
Anita Fiorillo
Good summer reading - magic is an appealing trait for humans to have - and how modern humans manage to integrate magic into everyday lives is a challenge. But these books are sort of soap-opera-sh.
Maggie
Wish I would've read the 1st in the series. Spellbinder. Will have to read it now as reading out of order left me with questions & feeling incomplete
Gina
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mel
This book is a mess. I agree with the social/political ideas that are put forward, but they clog the story. What a disappointment.
Michele bookloverforever
I loved this story. Great plot, great characters. Good gay love story. Cried at the end. Hope there is another in this series.
Lychee
Mar 01, 2010 Lychee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf-f
Intriguing series from this author. This volume tackles trafficking and homophobia. I'm glad to have her back!
  • A Taste of Magic (Five Senses, #5)
  • Zenith (The Ylem Trilogy, #3)
  • Before (Destined, #0.5)
  • The King's Deryni (The Childe Morgan, #3)
  • Challenges (The Blending, #3)
  • Beautiful Experiment (Island of Defiance, #1)
  • Lessons for Survivors (Cambridge Fellows, #9)
  • Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • Deepwood (Karavans, #2)
  • Antagonist (Childe Cycle, #12)
  • Science Fiction and Philosophy: From Time Travel to Superintelligence
  • The Deer's Cry
  • The Breeds Novels 1-6 (Includes:  Breeds #7, #8, #9, #13, #16, #18)
  • Under the Northern Lights (Granite Lake Wolves #1-2)
  • Main Attraction (Perfectly Wicked, # 1)
  • Disenchanted (The Celtic Vampyre Saga, #1)
  • Magic's Design (Magic, #1)
  • The Throne of Scone (The Tales of Aeron, #3)
Melanie Rawn received a BA in history from Scripps College and worked as a teacher and editor before becoming a writer.

She has been nominated for a Locus award on three separate occasions: in 1989 for Dragon Prince (in the first novel category), in 1994 for Skybowl (in the fantasy novel category), and again in 1995 for Ruins of Ambrai (in the fantasy novel category).

More about Melanie Rawn...

Spellbinder (2 books)
  • Spellbinder (Spellbinder, #1)
Dragon Prince (Dragon Prince, #1) Stronghold (Dragon Star, #1) Skybowl (Dragon Star, #3) The Ruins of Ambrai (Exiles, #1) The Star Scroll (Dragon Prince, #2)