Start by marking “Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)” as Want to Read:
Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)

Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures #5)

3.96  ·  Rating Details ·  7,196 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
Skeeve is in a real pickle this time. His partner Aahz has disappeared, and it looks like foul play. Finding Aahz ought to be a snap for a talented magician like Skeeve, especially with a sassy apprentice and a dumb-but-brawny bodyguard along for the ride. The trouble is, they're sleuthing in another dimension.
Published June 27th 2006 by Ace (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Myth-ing Persons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Myth-ing Persons

Evgeny
Jul 15, 2016 Evgeny rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
After the events of the last book Skeeve and Aazh as partners got themselves a very nice base of operations with just one tiny little problem: one of the doors in their dwelling (the kind they use in banks for safe vaults) led into an unknown and potentially deadly dimension. Circumstances forced Aazh to go in to investigate while Skeeve was tricked to be left behind.

When Skeeve learned Aazh had stuck in a jail with a murder charge he rushed after his partner almost blindly accompanied by his g
Gavin
Nov 23, 2014 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This was another fast and fun installment in the Myth series. Perhaps this fifth book was not quite so good as the fourth, but is was still very enjoyable.

The action takes place in the dimension of Limbo, which is the dimension the mysterious door in Skeeve's new Bazaar home leads to. Aahz runs off there to chase some potential clients who used the door as an escape route from the Bazaar law. He is soon in trouble and Skeeve and the rest of the team head in to save him. It was the usual mix of
Orient
Sep 11, 2016 Orient rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Skeeve and Aahz make a surprising pair and the whole group is even better!
I found more feelings and emotions in this story. I loved to see more emotional Skeeve and how it worked during interaction with others. Other characters had their emotional side exposed too. A big circle of friends is enlarged once more with a friendly nervous neighborhood cherub vampire and a melodramatic werewolf talking English with a French accent

Welcome to a crazy vampire limbo party!

And to do this Skeeve and his ga
Wiebke (1book1review)
In this book Skeeve and his friends visit Limbo to find some fugitives and rescue Aahz from prison.
A pleasure insight into a dimension where vampires are at home and humans the monsters.
Desinka
Nov 22, 2014 Desinka rated it really liked it
I really loved this installment in the series. The Limbo dimension proved to be great fun. Its inhabitants were very interesting and some quite likable. The action was fast-paced and exciting and I really didn't notice when exactly I'd reached the end! I want more! And some romance!

Rating: 4.5 stars
Neil
Nov 14, 2015 Neil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun book in the Myth Adventure series. Skeeve and Aahz have now relocated their operations to the Bazaar on Deva. In their house/tent there is a door, which had previously not been mentioned when they first moved in, but it leads to an unknown dimension. When fugitives from the bazaar flee through this portal the bazaar's chamber of commerce deem that these fugitives are the responsibility of Aahz and Skeeve.
Aahz enters this unknown dimension to retrieve these fugitives. He ends up impri
Krista Ivy
May 12, 2016 Krista Ivy rated it it was amazing
Skeeve has some customers go thru the back door of his mansion on Deva. The problem is that they owed money and now that fine would be transferred to him. before finding out how much the fine actually is, Aahz races thru the door on his own (after knocking out Skeeve to make sure that the doesn't follow). Aahz is gone for three days before the back door opens and one of the people they are looking for pokes her head out and says that Aahz has been imprisoned for murder and is set for execution. ...more
Keziah Wallis
Apr 25, 2010 Keziah Wallis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-edit
Sadly the fifth entry in the MYTH Adventures series felt a little flat for me. For starters I really did not like Luanna and Skeeve's little crush on her annoyed me. I mean he has the amazing Tanda if he wants to develop a crush, so why is he falling for a small-time swindler who is using him? When you add in the racism (in terms of werewolve and vampire-phobia) and basically Skeeve being the only hero I just lost my interest. Luckily I know that there are better books after this, but still its ...more
Shane
May 13, 2015 Shane rated it really liked it
Just as funny as they were 15 years ago.

That's from my notes when I read this one

I read the first books when I was around 12 so I was probably 27 when I read this one. I'm 45 now and my son read the entire series before he passed away in a car accident. I was cleaning his room and putting books away when I realized I hadn't listed this series as "read" on Goodreads. Thinking about finishing the series as a way of "communing" with his memory.

Sorry if that makes you sad. Read the book, it will che
Henrik Schunk
Aug 22, 2016 Henrik Schunk rated it liked it
Another fine adventure by the gang. It is a shame that Aahz is so underrepresented in the first two-third of the book. In general, I find some of the sidekicks much more interesting than others and this particular mixture of ingredients that is being changed up from novel to novel - a notion that generally meets with my approval - makes for either a good or very good entry in the series. The "vampire" theme is underused and so is the "Werewolf" motif. Even though, I understand the deconstruction ...more
East Bay J
Sep 26, 2008 East Bay J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Myth-Ing Persons is more of a return to form, as far as I'm concerned, though Aahz is absent through a significant portion of the book. And Skeeve gets a love interest! Sort of. Phil Foglio’s art is excellent and it’s too bad there aren’t more panels. The humor continues to amuse and Asprin even pokes a little good natured fun at Elfquest creators, Richard and Wendy Pini. Excellent series!
Conan Tigard
Nov 15, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Myth books. They always make me laugh. There just is not a whole lot of funny fantasy out there. Reading about the adventures of Skeeve and Aahz always keep me entertained.

Myth-ing Persons moves a little slower that the previous four. I also find that the story was not as involving as the other. But that is not to say that it was bad. On the contrary, it is still a fun read. It just isn't fantastic. If you have read the other four books, then you cannot pass this one up.

Like all of
Leonardo Etcheto
Jul 16, 2016 Leonardo Etcheto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The mystery door is opened! Skeeve's reputation as a mighty magician works against him! Oh yeah, and Skeeve falls for another beautiful face that leads him into trouble. Another great book, with everything being familiar yet warped. Now we are in Limbo - land of vampires who drink blood from a glass. They fear people because of the stake through the heart stories! And werewolves working to help the poor misunderstood humans.

The prison escape is a classic, with absurdity all around. Again, great
Rob
Jul 30, 2007 Rob rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well it turned out the back door led to a dimension of vampires. And skeeve still hasn't learned any more majic.
Andi
Feb 23, 2010 Andi added it
Complete fluff, of the fun variety. My favorite part might be the little quotes at the beginning of each chapter.
Pete
Feb 20, 2008 Pete rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read most of the MYTH book 20 years a go. It's just fun to go back a visit them and still get them same ejoyment
Qt
Dec 07, 2007 Qt rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fantasy
Another fun one, and it introduced Vic the vampire--another favorite character of the series :-)
April Brown
Oct 16, 2011 April Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen, fantasy
A childhood favorite re-visited.

Is the story as good as I remember? – Yes

What ages would I recommend it too? – Twelve and up. While ten to twelve might enjoy it, there are many ideas they will not understand. Though, they will certainly get many of the jokes.

Length? – Most of a day’s read.

Characters? – Memorable, several characters.

Setting? – Fantasy, alternate dimensions.

Written approximately? – 1984.

Does the story leave questions in the readers mind? – Ready to read more.

Any issues the author
Ryk Stanton
Feb 18, 2014 Ryk Stanton rated it really liked it
This continues to be an amusing series, but I am hoping for a bit more character development soon. It's fun to read, interesting to see how Skeeve will get him and his friends out of trouble ... but it's starting to feel like a song I've heard too many times before. Of course, it's meant as a humorous take on the fantasy genre and so I don't expect too much deviation from what has been established ... but I'd like to see something added to step things up a notch.
Ensiform
Dec 07, 2011 Ensiform rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
The fifth Myth Adventures book, this one finds Skeeve and company on a rescue mission to the dark dimension (the portal to which is the back door to their house) of vampires and werewolves to rescue Aahz. The latter had gone alone after a trio of con artists (who, in a nice little nod to continuity, were first spotted very briefly way back in book two) who stuck the gang with a bill at the Bazaar. This is possibly the most twee, cutesy entry yet, from Asprin doing amateur tricks like naming his ...more
Tyrannosaurus regina
This is absolutely a nostalgia rating. Of all the Myth Adventures books, I think this is the one I remember the best, and overall it actually held up not badly compared to what I remember. I have absolutely no idea why Skeeve has any interest in Luanna or why we as readers should have any investment in that, but whatever. One more female character painted as either a sex object or a sexual predator.
Spigana
Labāka par iepriekšējo, autors beidzot atkal nopietni pieķeras mītiem, šoreiz runājot par vampīriem. Es gan būtu priecīgāka, ja autors visu laiku ieturētu sarkastisko stilu un netaisītu emocionālas, banālas atkāpes, pie kam stāsts diezgan zaudē no tā, ka Skīvs vairs nav Āza māceklis.
Toties patīkami, ka varoņi turpina attīstīties un šoreiz uzvara nenāca tik viegli kā iepriekš.
Diane ~Firefly~
Skeeve and Aahz finally find out where their back door leads - a dimension called Limbo inhabited by vampires and werewolves. And while chasing some criminals through, Aahz ends up being framed for murder and it is up to the gang to save him. This wasn't quite as good as the previous books and I can't quite put my finger on why.
Valerie
It's instructive to compare this with the later volume in this series (Myth-ion Improbable). The latter is awful. Bitter, vindictive, cynical...

This book, on the other hand, is lighthearted, kindly, humorous... Granted, there are a few disturbing elements, and of course, however funny it is, it is an adventure, but still... There is reflexive revulsion against bats, but that's not uncommon.

Normally, I wouldn't tend to turn to an author's biography to explain such a sea-change in attitude. In th
Đenis
Mar 12, 2016 Đenis rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-shelf
Tentokrát sa dozvieme, čo je za tajomnými dverami. Neznámi utečenci pred demonmi z Pakla dvermi unikajú a Aahz sa za nimi vydáva napraviť škodu z Pakla. Zakrátko sa Skeeve dozvedá, že Aahz je obvinený z vraždy a sedí vo vezení. Spolu s Kvidom a Marfou teda podniknú záchrannú výpravu do dimenzie... domova upírov.
Jessica
Nov 09, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best parts of this book, by far, were the rescue of Aahz from the living, breathing, dragon-cell, and the vision of poor Massha floating along like a balloon at a fair...

This book once again finds Skeeve in a mess that seems impossible to sort out, especially since Aahz has disappeared without a trace, and that mysterious back-door out of their tent in Deva is actually a portal to a dimension of vampires.

I never would have thought I'd feel sorry for Vic, but in the end, I actually did. I enjoyed
Ежко Таралежко
Добре де, петия том е доста по-скучноват от предните. Ама пак става. Само се надявам това понижаване на качеството да не е тенденция, че томовете са май седемнадесет...
Carrie
Jul 13, 2015 Carrie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
2015 Reading Challenge

- A book with non-human characters
- A funny book
- A book a friend recommended
- A trilogy (series)
- A book with magic
- A book you own but never read

So there is a mysterious back door on Skeeve and Aahz's new abode. When three unexpected guests show themselves out through it, by picking locks and cutting chains, Aahz and Skeeve must track them down or pay back the money the trio swindled from the bazaar at Deva. Another light, fun book.
Zavier Carr
Sep 12, 2014 Zavier Carr rated it it was amazing
John
Mar 16, 2015 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More myth!! I just love this series if you haven't noticed. :)
Goodreads Librari...: Myth-ing Persons 3 12 Jan 18, 2015 05:33PM
  • A Disagreement With Death (The Ballad of Wuntvor, #3)
  • Castle War! (Castle Perilous, #4)
  • Robert Asprin's Myth-Quoted
  • Glory Lane
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Callahan's Legacy (Mary's Place, #2) (Callahan's Series, #7)
  • The Shadow Gate
  • The Wiz Biz (Wiz, #1-2)
  • The Warrior Lives (Guardians of the Flame #5)
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Asprin...

Myth Adventures (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1)
  • Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2)
  • Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3)
  • Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4)
  • Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #6)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. Link (Myth Adventures, #7)
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • M.Y.T.H. Inc. in Action (Myth Adventures, #9)
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Myth-ion Improbable (Myth Adventures, #11)

“Everybody needs a career manager."- Lady Macbeth” 6 likes
“My colleagues and I feel that independents like ElfQuest are nothing but sheep in wolves' clothing."- S. Lee” 2 likes