Start by marking “Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting for (Barry Trotter, #2)” as Want to Read:

Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel: The Book Nobody Has Been Waiting for (Barry Trotter #2)

2.82  ·  Rating Details  ·  533 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Here it is, just what the 100,000 fans who bought Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody have been waiting for: the inevitable and thoroughly hilarious sequel to the bestselling spoof of the Potter phenomenon.
Not wild about Harry? Or just had enough of the hype? Try Barry, who, having saved the Hogwash School of Wizards from the unwelcome attention of Hollywood, is now re
Published September 1st 2003 by Gollancz (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barry Trotter and the Unnecessary Sequel

Mikayla
Aug 09, 2015 Mikayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not saying this was terrible (despite being more pointless than book one), but think book one was a lot better, even though I only gave it three stars.

I found this one to be slower and more boring compared to the first book. I guess I just enjoyed the randomness of book one.

I can only hope that book three is better and more random than book two.
Saoirse T. E. Sterling
I think "unnecessary" is spot-on here. Yes, the first one was vaguely humorous and was a nice insight in to the adult way of looking at a very popular children's book, but it kind of got out of hand and as a result we have killed more trees than is strictly necessary. Good for a few laughs, but otherwise I don't think so.
Sarina
Jul 23, 2015 Sarina rated it really liked it
This book takes place in a time after J. G. Rollins (J.K. Rowling) writes the Barry Trotter series which is really loosely based on Barry Trotter's life. Because of the series muddles (muggles) now know of the wizarding world. Barry and Ermine return to Hogwarts for a class reunion with their son Nigel, who identifies with muggles and is entirely non magical. Soon after arriving at Hogwash the headmaster Dorco (Draco) falls perilously to his death. Ermine wants to solve the case of Dorco's murde ...more
DarkMaron
Dec 25, 2015 DarkMaron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
April Helms
Mar 22, 2008 April Helms rated it liked it
Recommends it for: adults
Shelves: collection, spoof
The sequel (duh!) to the first Barry Trotter book. Here, Barry and Ermine are married, with two children. Funny, although a bit more sophomoric.
Maria
Aug 08, 2011 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I have a feeling - no I'm pretty sure - that it really was the unnecessary sequel. While I liked the other two parodies with Barry... this one is missing 'that something'. I didn't laugh that much as with previous ones... actually I could count funny parts only on one hand's fingers. Besides, the author is not explaining made-up words or names of objects anymore, I'm a fan of Harry Potter but I don't remember every little detail, especially if it's called differently and the use of it is not the ...more
PurplyCookie
Warning: You must be a fan of Harry Potter to enjoy this book or you won't get half the references.

Harry/Barry after having saved the Hogwash School of Wizards from the unwelcome attention of Hollywood, is now ready to move on. He has married Hermione/Ermine Cringer and they now have two relatively delightful children. The eldest is a skilled magician, but the youngest just seems to lack that conjurer's touch. Have Barry and Ermine given birth to (gasp) a Muddle?

Names and so on are sometimes fun
Geert Daelemans
Aug 23, 2013 Geert Daelemans rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, humour
Better than the first

Barry Trotter, now 37 years old, has a wife called Ermine and a son called Nigel. Their son, who is terribly unmagical, is about to start his first year at Hogwash School for Wizardry and Witchcrap when Dorco Malfeasance, the Headmister of the reputable school, suddenly dies. Of course, this is a golden opportunity for Ermine and Barry to create some mayhem as the new heads of their beloved school. It does indeed not take long before Barry gets cursed by a spell that makes h
Becca
Jan 06, 2013 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's amazing how some of the things in this parody came so close to the real story of Harry Potter in books that came out after this one. Such as the links between "Alpo Bumblemore" and "Grundlemumble" - how he is still alive and that they used to be friends!

There were a few other bits that seemed quite close to the real story, but I cannot think of them from the top of my head.

I like how ridiculous this book is and how it is constantly referencing itself, the way the characters have been port
Paul
Apr 03, 2015 Paul rated it it was ok
The Harry Potter we want to read...he's all sex-crazed and grown-up! An interesting idea...but the mockery has just got forgetabbly worse under the vain prefix of a Hardy Boys who dunnit scenario. Well, I did buy it in a pound shop.
Soňa
Dec 24, 2013 Soňa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sligthly better than the other book about Barry Trotter.... but still wondering where people find it funny. Honestly completely missed point of parody:(

Giving credit to author for putting together the story which to my opinion is not parody but story itself loosely based on adventures of Harry Potter and therefore it should be evaluated on it's own. Structure and wording are good (wish author would avoid so many 'punch lines' connected to sex) but overall it's ok.

Still if this should be parody,
Mikana
Oct 15, 2015 Mikana rated it liked it
If you enjoy parodies then this could be great to read for the humorous approach on the H.P. books.
Ellen
Feb 07, 2012 Ellen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Riktigt dålig bok! Skrattade inte en enda gång, och detta är ändå en parodi. Jag älskar verkligen Harry Potter, den här boken var inte ens värdig att vara en parodi på dessa underbara böcker. Michael har misslyckats fullständigt, karaktärerna var bara överdrivna och intetsägande, miljön blev löjlig och det kändes helt enkelt tråkigt att läsa. Egentligen borde det bara ta ett par dagar att läsa ut boken, texten är relativt stor, formatet på boken är litet och det är inte så många sidor ändå tog d ...more
George Law
Sep 18, 2014 George Law rated it really liked it
Not as good as the first book.
Jessica
Mar 23, 2009 Jessica rated it it was ok
45th book of 2009!

Take some parody and some fanfiction and you've got this book. I picked it up from the library, attracted by it's compact size. It is not an actualy parody of the second harry potter book, it's a parody of the series. Barry Trotter is 38 and his son Nigel has enrolled in Hogwash school for wizards.
Jenna
Jan 21, 2013 Jenna rated it liked it
Love those Harry Potter books? Read this one with an open mind. This book is a silly, nonsense epilogue based off of our favorite trio of Hogwarts heroes. You will rethink your knowledge of the magical world during this book. Not appropriate for children, but will provide a laugh to those with a mature mind.
Anna
Mar 13, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: parody
Barry Trotter is 38 years old and married to Ermine Cringe, with whom he has two kids - one appears to totally non-magical. Barry and his wife have to take posts of temporary headmasters of Hogwash as Draco Malgnoy is killed on the opening ceremony of new school year. Laughs from disgusting stuff.
Karschtl
Nov 06, 2009 Karschtl rated it did not like it
I've read the first part a couple of years ago - and remember that I wasn't fascinated by it. This book isn't necessarily bad either, I just didn't find it funny or even interesting at all. That's why I decided not to keep going, and also not to even try the third part of this series.
Rike Jokanan
Aug 22, 2008 Rike Jokanan rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
I bought it in a duty free shop in airport. Just wanted to answer me curiosity. Frankly, I didn't want to read it to the last page. Gosh, this book sent me exhausting atmosphere.

There is always a parody of something. But this one, nobody should not wait for indeed...
Shakila
Jan 23, 2011 Shakila rated it did not like it
It was the worst book, I've ever read! Pathetic. I got headache just reading the messed up names! Its such a mess!! I didnt even finish reading it. Only book I stopped halfway.And I have no intention of continuing reading it. Its a terrible book.Sheesh!
Jordan picko
Aug 16, 2007 Jordan picko added it
Recommends it for: 10 to 18 years old
barry trotter and the unnecessary seuel is one of the funyist books i have ever raad in my whole life and who ever is between the age of 10 to 18 years old will love this book for life and there gut will be so sure after reading this book
YALibrarian
Mar 26, 2015 YALibrarian rated it did not like it
ew. just ew.
Pippa
Sep 05, 2008 Pippa rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who dont like harry potter
I really didnt like this book..I brought it from a charity shop to read on the plane, and i just couldnt finish it.It was so boring and very hard to follow. I ended up leaving it in my apartment!
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2008 Lindsay rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately, this compares badly to other satires such as "Wicked" which have well developed characters and storylines in their own rights. This was more just a crude rip off of Harry Potter.
Tom Webster
Jul 09, 2013 Tom Webster rated it it was ok
Pretty much what you would expect. Funny in places and stupid throughout. A handy little distraction for a plane or bus journey when you dont want to read a proper book
Marije
Sep 20, 2008 Marije rated it liked it
Shelves: parodie
LOL XD I didn't read Barry Trotter and the Shameless Parody before I read this one but apparently there was no need. It was dead funny. Ghehehe.
Steve Mitchell
This is better than the first Barry Trotter book with plenty more laughs and is still not quite suitable for younger children.
Casey
Sep 23, 2012 Casey rated it did not like it
I didn't actually finish this book, I read about half of it and I just didn't find it to be interesting or have much of a point.
CrazyCat
Jan 13, 2012 CrazyCat rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai commencé, pour l'instant ça me déplait fortement et je ne suis pas certain d'oser aller jusqu'à la fin.
Manorli
Mar 31, 2014 Manorli rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parody
Hat mich nicht wirklich vom Hocker gerissen. Da war der erste Teil wesentlich amüsanter.
  • The Soddit: Or, Let's Cash in Again
  • Web of Deceit
  • Bored of the Rings: A Parody of J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Almanac: History
  • Run The Risk (Alex Delillo, #1)
  • Cover Story (Tweed & Co. #3)
  • The Mastership Game
  • Toxic (Seamus Moynihan, #1)
  • Freja: Sagan om Valhalla (Sagan om Valhalla, #1)
  • Hexenkind
  • The Arrangement
  • The Colour of Magic: The Illustrated Screenplay
  • Little Girl Lost
  • Explainers: The Complete Village Voice Strips, 1956-1966
  • The Science of Success: The Secret of Getting What You Want: WITH The Science of Getting Rich AND The Secret
  • Voices (Voices, #1)
  • J'aurais adoré être ethnologue
  • Dragonfrigate Wizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #2)
Parodist, author of Barry Trotter series, parodies of Harry Potter books. Also known as Mike Gerber or Michael Allen Gerber.

For the business author, see Michael E. Gerber.
More about Michael Gerber...

Barry Trotter (3 books)
  • Barry Trotter and the Unauthorized Parody (Barry Trotter, #1)
  • Barry Trotter and the Dead Horse (Barry Trotter, #3)