Start by marking “My House” as Want to Read:
My House

My House

4.27 of 5 stars 4.27  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Enter the world of Nikki Giovanni. Writing of mothers and their children, of childhood memories, of black leaders and black Africa, the poems in My House marked a new dimension in tone and philosophy for Nikki Giovanni when they first appeared at the beginning of her extraordinary career. Emotional and autobiographical, Nikki Giovanni personalizes the political--like no on ...more
Published March 1st 1974 by Harper Perennial (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about My House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My House

Melki
Nikki Giovanni's work proves that poetry can be more than just pretty words. Quite a few of the poems in this book offer fiery and tart social and political commentary.

From Atrocities:
at a moment when agnew could define hard and soft
drugs on the basis of his daughter's involvement
with them

I can't think of many other poets who write about receiving visits from the F.B.I.

Some of these poems, I loved. Some of them left me scratching my head.
Some of them, I loved only parts.

From When I Die:
but i do
Bonnie
Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

I blame my two-star review on the fact that I’m not nearly sophisticated enough to fully understand and appreciate poetry. I don’t get it half the time; although, I have read some poetry books and adored them so who knows what my problem was with this one.

I picked this up from my library after seeing it on the banned/challenged book list so of course I had to see what it was all about. There were some sections that I liked, but then there were some
Phoebe
Nikki Giovanni's poetry always delights me. It's fun, dangerous, smart, quick, and speaks to black experience as well as to the human experience. If you're not a black woman of American birth, you can get a taste of what's it like through Nikki's Giovanni's eyes. You might like it. You might want to stay a while.
Cyndi
Superb and profound. Soulful and longing. Beautiful and rich. Ms Giovanni is a poet for the ages whose voice is informed by race, gender, culture, education and love. Her words stir my soul and never fail to move me.
Tarosa
Jan 30, 2008 Tarosa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Nikki Giovanni is my first favorite poet. She gets it and she's not pretentious about it. She is 100% badass and I love her forever.
Robert T.
I read these poems every few months. They make me feel human, safe, loved, real.
Lexi Morasquezo
I found that My House, by Nikki Giovanni, was a very insightful book. Her words cut deep, with every stanza, and her tones were humorous and serious at the same time. Nikki's experiences, and stories hold so much emotion, I was almost overwhelmed, almost. The emotion and confliction of her words were inspiring, and saddening, full of happiness all at the same time. I enjoyed this book very much because it gave me a full on look at someone else's experiences and memories. Every description she gi ...more
Cara Byrne
Giovanni's work has always intrigued me - and this collection is no exception. It's skillfully written and full of passionate, funny, dark, biting poems that linger. She does a nice job navigating between the interiors and exteriors of her "house." The first section, titled "The Rooms Inside" are filled with poems about memory, family, vulnerability and love, while "The Poems Outside" engage in thematic readings of political movements, celebrity, government, and internationalism. My favorites le ...more
Bryana Grimsley
My House is a cute little poem. It was beautiful. She captures your attention like unlike some poetry. Her words spread across the page like heaven. The simplicity of the poem is what allowed for you to expand your imagination and view the true complexity of the dicition.

There isn't much I can say about this poem other then the fact that it is a must read. It takes you into another world and allows to see into a form of writing and a different voice than most poets. Nikki has such a great way o
Nicole White
One of my favorite books of poetry
Abby
Oct 04, 2013 Abby added it
Got to see Nikki Giovanni speak (star power!!) at my school in 2010. In case you can't tell from her poetry, she's a strong personality. Three years later, this book happened along at the right time for me to love it: the minuscule detail of the inside rooms, and the tendency to laugh at things that aren't funny, which I appreciate. Although maybe, looking at the 60s from a distance, I feel just a little too safe.
Dorre
I loved everything in this collection! My favorite stanza:

When I die I hope no one who ever hurt me cries
And if they cry I hope their eyes fall out
And a million maggots that had made up their brains
Crawl from the empty holes and devour the flesh
That covered the evil that passed itself off as a person
That I probably tried
To love
Marthe
"I run the kitchen/and I can stand in the heat."
A more mature, conscious blend of seemingly incongruent parts, akin to the quilting motif used in the poem, to a bold statement of independence. Individual worth and self-expression characterize the poems in My House.
Angélique
Mmmm. These poems--they sneak up on you. Pretending to be only entertaining and safe then suddenly unveiling themselves as real, raw, deeper than the surface entities that flood your entire soul.
Elizabeth-anne Kim
I love this collection, especially "Conversation." I never fail to see something new with each rereading.
E
Sep 28, 2008 E rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
Nikki is too cool for yellow, for black and white, or for railroad tracks.
Aby Pacheco
Giovanni is always gold. 'My House'is just further evidence of that.
Tash
Tash marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Seeta
Seeta marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Niv
Niv marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Yvette Curtis
Yvette Curtis marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Reagan
Reagan added it
Jan 15, 2015
Frances
Frances marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
  • Alistair Cooke's America
  • Becoming Light: Poems New and Selected
  • The Complete Poems
  • The Friendly Shakespeare: A Thoroughly Painless Guide to the Best of the Bard
  • The World Must Know: The History Of The Holocaust As Told In The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
  • Kizuna Deluxe Edition, Volume 01
  • Aloud: Voices from the Nuyorican Poets Cafe
  • Halloween ABC
  • Linden Hills
  • Hip Logic
22050
Yolande Cornelia "Nikki" Giovanni is a Grammy-nominated American poet, activist and author.

She lives in Blacksburg, Virginia, where she is a University Distinguished Professor at Virginia Tech.
More about Nikki Giovanni...
Rosa Love Poems The Collected Poetry, 1968-1998 The Selected Poems, 1968-1995 Cotton Candy on a Rainy Day