Start by marking “Sunburn” as Want to Read:
Sunburn
Preview

Sunburn

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  16 reviews
When Joey Goldman's illegitimate father, a nefarious godfather from New York, heads to Key West, Joey has the bright idea of letting a Kew West reporter help write his memoirs, a book that no onethe Mafia, the FBI, or the real heir to Delgatto's family businesswants to see published.
Published December 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sunburn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunburn

Ashley Lombardo
Three Cheers for Laurence Shames

Another triumph in Laurence Shames' infinitely readable Key West series. This title is a must for fans of Shames' work, particularly those interested in reading the novels in chronological order. Shames' use of recurring characters brings to mind Kurt Vonnegut's quintessential Kilgore Trout and Eliot Rosewater. These returning characters are as welcome as old friends, even when they are of the less savory variety ( ie. Gino). Joey's father is the "Godfather" we al
Paul O'Grady
This was my first Laurence Shames novel, and I would recommend it. It's a good light read. While the plot did not contain amazing twists and turns, you really do get drawn in by the very believable characters. I recommend this for a read by the pool or on the beach or on the couch on a winter day when you're dreaming about places like Key West.
Cindy Rice
I started reading Laurence Shames Keywest books as a sunny, after Christmas, laugh out loud, in between serious reads kinda storyline ~ but what I've found is much much more than that! (g)
Anthony  Corbo
One quarter of this book was somewhat intriguing, But only after you get through the first 3 quarters of it. First major portion of it had to much redundancy,examples being, describing in way to much detail how one character's little dog had problems producing bowel movements and talking about a small metal patio table. Mr. Shames writing reminded me of someone trying to hard to fill a book by going into a lot of trivial comparisons of people, places, and things along with other menial topics. I ...more
Susan
Joey Goldman and the rest of the cast (well, the ones that lived anyway) from Florida Straits are back! I love them all so I was delighted to dive into this new adventure where Joey's father - the Godfather - decides to write his memoirs... other members of The Organization aren't real thrilled. Shames paints the most incredible detailed pictures. I'm going to try and hold off his next one Tropical Depression until it comes out in paperback in a couple of months... if I can.
Richard Katz
Wow - How did I go so long without Laurence Shames. Somehow only Joyceling knew that "people who like Carl Hiassen, also like Laurence Shames. Booklist made the point that this is a novel you don't want to end and that is right. Shames' characters are hilarious, flawed in all-too-human ways, and endearing - while being Mafiosi, bimbos, losers, and other denizens of Jersey, South Florida and other disreputable venues.
Allen
Author Laurence Shames is a creative, but not very even writer. Some of his novels ring like a bell; others... well, do not. This is one of his best. His genre is comedy-mystery-thriller-Florida. Another of his that I liked is Scavenger Reef, but good luck finding it; even Amazon apparently doesn't carry it any more.
Jenny
I found this book hilarious and heart warming. Yes, it's about the mafia. I think it would make a wonderful movie. Warning: those mafia people say the F word. A lot.
Cheryl
This book takes place in Key West. I was on vacation in the keys when I read this book. I was looking for a light read and it fit the bill.
Jeff Yoak
This is a return to the Shames I remember. I'm glad I plunged ahead with the series.
Tia
Jan 05, 2015 Tia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Had not read a Shames in awhile. Darker than some of his others, but still well done.
Jim
Fairly decent sequel to Florida Straits. Not Shames' best, but a fun read
Gary Chamberland
Easy read, good humor likable characters.
Laurie Stoll
A light-hearted enjoyable book.
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Heather Lowther
Heather Lowther marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Bones of Coral
  • New Hope for the Dead
  • Paradise Screwed: Selected Columns
  • La cura del gorilla
  • Morte a Firenze
  • Don't Ask (Dortmunder, #8)
  • Night and the City
  • Never Cross a Vampire (Toby Peters, #5)
Laurence Shames has been a New York City taxi driver, lounge singer, furniture mover, lifeguard, dishwasher, gym teacher, and shoe salesman. Having failed to distinguish himself in any of those professions, he turned to writing full-time in 1976 and has not done an honest day’s work since.

His basic laziness notwithstanding, Shames has published twenty books and hundreds of magazine articles and es
More about Laurence Shames...
Florida Straits Tropical Depression Mangrove Squeeze Not Fade Away: A Short Life Well Lived Scavenger Reef