Start by marking “Sunburn (Key West, #3)” as Want to Read:
Sunburn (Key West, #3)

Sunburn (Key West #3)

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  417 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
When Joey Goldman's illegitimate father, a nefarious godfather from New York, heads to Key West, Joey has the bright idea of letting a Kew West reporter help write his memoirs, a book that no onethe Mafia, the FBI, or the real heir to Delgatto's family businesswants to see published.
Published December 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Sunburn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunburn

Susinok
Jun 27, 2015 Susinok rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, contemporary
Audiobook. Lovely narration. The accents are perfect. I love Shames' Florida Keys series. Quirky and fun.
Ashley Lombardo
Three Cheers for Laurence Shames

Another triumph in Laurence Shames' infinitely readable Key West series. This title is a must for fans of Shames' work, particularly those interested in reading the novels in chronological order. Shames' use of recurring characters brings to mind Kurt Vonnegut's quintessential Kilgore Trout and Eliot Rosewater. These returning characters are as welcome as old friends, even when they are of the less savory variety ( ie. Gino). Joey's father is the "Godfather" we al
Dobby0390
In this third book of the Key West series, the stories get darker and the humor more subtle and less slapstick. That's not necessarily a bad thing. What was incredibly annoying was the repetition of certain phrases. My memory, though erratic at times, is certainly functional enough to remember that Don Giovanni's coat sheds "white hair the length of eyelashes." That was repeated so often that it's burned into my mind. My final gasping breath will be "white eyelashes..." and my confused survivors ...more
Paul O'Grady
Jul 17, 2014 Paul O'Grady rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was my first Laurence Shames novel, and I would recommend it. It's a good light read. While the plot did not contain amazing twists and turns, you really do get drawn in by the very believable characters. I recommend this for a read by the pool or on the beach or on the couch on a winter day when you're dreaming about places like Key West.
Iris
Apr 05, 2016 Iris rated it liked it
As the title would suggest, this is definitely a light beach read but it's a pretty enjoyable one. Vivid characters and an engaging story line. I wouldn't mind more of this author here and there- this was a nice escape!
Cindy Rice
Jan 12, 2015 Cindy Rice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started reading Laurence Shames Keywest books as a sunny, after Christmas, laugh out loud, in between serious reads kinda storyline ~ but what I've found is much much more than that! (g)
Anthony  Corbo
Jun 05, 2013 Anthony Corbo rated it did not like it
One quarter of this book was somewhat intriguing, But only after you get through the first 3 quarters of it. First major portion of it had to much redundancy,examples being, describing in way to much detail how one character's little dog had problems producing bowel movements and talking about a small metal patio table. Mr. Shames writing reminded me of someone trying to hard to fill a book by going into a lot of trivial comparisons of people, places, and things along with other menial topics. I ...more
Rosemary Mayes
Mar 13, 2016 Rosemary Mayes rated it it was amazing
I love anything by Laurence Shames! ANYTHING.
Susan
Jan 14, 2008 Susan rated it it was amazing
Joey Goldman and the rest of the cast (well, the ones that lived anyway) from Florida Straits are back! I love them all so I was delighted to dive into this new adventure where Joey's father - the Godfather - decides to write his memoirs... other members of The Organization aren't real thrilled. Shames paints the most incredible detailed pictures. I'm going to try and hold off his next one Tropical Depression until it comes out in paperback in a couple of months... if I can.
Richard Katz
Wow - How did I go so long without Laurence Shames. Somehow only Joyceling knew that "people who like Carl Hiassen, also like Laurence Shames. Booklist made the point that this is a novel you don't want to end and that is right. Shames' characters are hilarious, flawed in all-too-human ways, and endearing - while being Mafiosi, bimbos, losers, and other denizens of Jersey, South Florida and other disreputable venues.
Kathy
Nov 13, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
should have read the first book first, "Florida Straits."
Allen
Feb 24, 2008 Allen rated it really liked it
Author Laurence Shames is a creative, but not very even writer. Some of his novels ring like a bell; others... well, do not. This is one of his best. His genre is comedy-mystery-thriller-Florida. Another of his that I liked is Scavenger Reef, but good luck finding it; even Amazon apparently doesn't carry it any more.
Jenny
Nov 07, 2013 Jenny rated it liked it
I found this book hilarious and heart warming. Yes, it's about the mafia. I think it would make a wonderful movie. Warning: those mafia people say the F word. A lot.
Cheryl
Apr 16, 2008 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book takes place in Key West. I was on vacation in the keys when I read this book. I was looking for a light read and it fit the bill.
Jeff Yoak
Mar 17, 2012 Jeff Yoak rated it it was amazing
This is a return to the Shames I remember. I'm glad I plunged ahead with the series.
Tia
Jan 05, 2015 Tia rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Had not read a Shames in awhile. Darker than some of his others, but still well done.
Jim
Dec 28, 2013 Jim rated it liked it
Fairly decent sequel to Florida Straits. Not Shames' best, but a fun read
Gary Chamberland
May 03, 2013 Gary Chamberland rated it liked it
Easy read, good humor likable characters.
Christian
a fun read, but nothing special.
Laurie Stoll
Feb 25, 2011 Laurie Stoll rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A light-hearted enjoyable book.
Julie Offers
Dec 02, 2012 Julie Offers rated it did not like it
waste of time
Russell Miller
Russell Miller rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
vickie akins
vickie akins rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Josef Thaler
Josef Thaler rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Susie
Susie marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2016
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
Jun 08, 2016
Bill Huffman
Bill Huffman rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
M.K.
M.K. marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Bones of Coral
  • Sideswipe: A Hoke Moseley Novel
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Morituri
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
  • The Man of My Life
  • Kick Ass: Selected Columns
  • Lupo mannaro
Laurence Shames has been a New York City taxi driver, lounge singer, furniture mover, lifeguard, dishwasher, gym teacher, and shoe salesman. Having failed to distinguish himself in any of those professions, he turned to writing full-time in 1976 and has not done an honest day’s work since.

His basic laziness notwithstanding, Shames has published twenty books and hundreds of magazine articles and es
More about Laurence Shames...

Key West (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Florida Straits (Key West, #1)
  • Scavenger Reef (Key West, #2)
  • Tropical Depression (Key West, #4)
  • Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)
  • Mangrove Squeeze (Key West, #6)
  • Welcome to Paradise (Key West, #7)
  • The Naked Detective (Key West, #8)
  • Shot on Location (Key West, #9)
  • Tropical Swap (Key West, #10)
  • Chickens (Key West, #10.5)

“and wondered how much power and how much wisdom it would take to do right by more than one person at a time. A” 0 likes
“In Joey's neighborhood the blocks were short and there were stop signs on every corner. It was hard to get going more than fifteen miles an hour, and on those lazy streets Joey's refurbished 1973 El Dorado convertible got about eight blocks to the gallon.” 0 likes