Start by marking “Tropical Depression” as Want to Read:
Tropical Depression

Tropical Depression

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  340 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Murray Zemelman - lingerie mogul, a.k.a. the Bra King - wakes up one morning, starts his car in the confines of his airtight garage, and contemplates the worst. But instead of doing himself in, he pops a Prozac and hits the road, waving good-bye to his trophy wife, the thriving brassiere business, and the streets of New Jersey for good. He's headed to Florida, home of his ...more
Published September 1st 2000 by Backinprint.com (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tropical Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tropical Depression

Mike French
My first Laurence Shames novel and I guarentee it won't be my last. Laurence Shames writing is in the tradition of my Favorite Florida authors-Carl Hiaasen,Paul Levine and Tim Dorsey. I found it a bit darker than other 3 authors, but very enjoyable read!
Judi
Oy! It's January and bitterly cold up here in the Northeast. Perfect time to settle into a slapstick caper novel that takes place in Key West. And that, in a nutshell, describes Laurence Shames's style of writing.
Murray Zemmelman, the famous lingerie mogul, otherwise known as the Bra King, sits in his garage in his running Lexus trying to decide if he's going to work or committing suicide. Suddenly he's got a strong will to live, so much so that he can't even wait for the garage door to complete
Adam Wiggins
A fun and easy-to-ready little story that manages to be smart despite the goofy and bumbling characters.

The best part, by far, was the writing. The author manages vivid descriptions of the mundane, for example:

"The glare became a glow that caressed objects and displayed them proudly."

Or metaphors like:

"His high spirits were extremely fragile, less a part of him than an overlay, a cheery suit of clothes that could at any moment detach itself and walk away without him."

Plus an incisive perspective
Ashley Lombardo
Tropical Fun!

Of all the Laurence Shames novels I have read so far, this is one of the most fun and lighthearted. Murray and Tommy make the perfect odd couple.
Paul O'Grady
This is a fun beach read. The characters are just plain fun. I loved the way Shames weaves n the players from his early Key West stories. Not great literature, but a fun ride nonetheless.
Sandi
Judging by the cover of this book I was expecting a funny over the top Florida story and, while it had some of those elements, it also had a bit of a darker edge.
Joey
The perfect beach read, even though I read it in 40 degree freezing rain.
Libby
(E) This wasn't the best book, but it was fun to read this while I was in Key Largo.
Susan
Murray Zemelman is the Bra King of Manhattan and one day he gets into the car and drives to Key West, Florida. Maybe he'll learn to fish. Soon he's caught up in Indian rights to sacred grounds. Only Shames could pull this kind of plot off with any credibility and he does. When you look up the word "character" in the dictionary, you see a picture of the people in his books. If you've never met Bert the Shirt and his little dog, go find a Shames and treat yourself. Even if it is set in Florida.
Bonnie Irwin
An entertaining little novel, replete with an "Indian," a mob boss, the requisite corrupt politician, and of course the "Bra King." Nice local touches as well. An amazing number of books seem to feature someone who wants to get away from it all and move to the keys.
Dawnie
This is the first book I've read of Laurence Shames and I must say that he is quite entertaining! Sort of a cross between a Tom Corcoran and a Carl Hiassen. Great story, entertaining characters and a story set in Key West. Gotta love it!
Lisa
Ugh. I can't make myself read this. Another loser. The plot seems promising, but something about the writing makes me want to keep putting this one down. I got about 1/3 of the way through, but I can live without knowing how it ends.
Richard Katz
Loved this book! Lawrence Shames is drop dead funny, which is enough reason to read his works. This is my favorite so far. But there's more. His characters are credible, likeable, and his plots move. I dunno, is there more?
Jim
Entertaining "Florida" novel, good plot, lots of humor and drama, colorful characters. Perfect for fans of the numerous great Carl Hiassen novels. An easy read.
Rebekkila
Nov 17, 2012 Rebekkila marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Mike Harper
This seems to be an imitation of Hiasen's bppks, but it's not nearly as well done. Still, if you need to laugh at Florida, it's OK.
Wanda
As usual it was filled with zany mobsters and crazy northern transplants to Florida. Still love Bert and his dog.
Jeff Yoak
All in all, an ok book. It was amusing, if less so than some earlier Shames, and good as a thriller.
Gigi
Just finished in FLA and it was a great vacation book. I like the quirky Key West stories. Made me smile.
Jack
It was OK. Made me smile a few times. Characters were OK. Not sure I'd read another book by Shames.
David
I wish we had a First Lady like this one.
Meg
A fun story. can't beat the price for kindle.
Christine
Liked it. Was a while ago.
Jennifer H
Very funny, good beach book
Christina
Mar 29, 2008 Christina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: middle aged men, florida retirees
Perfect beach read
Lars
Lars marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Cary Wolfson
Cary Wolfson marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Bahamarama
  • Gator A-Go-Go (Serge Storms, #12)
  • Bones of Coral
Laurence Shames has been a New York City taxi driver, lounge singer, furniture mover, lifeguard, dishwasher, gym teacher, and shoe salesman. Having failed to distinguish himself in any of those professions, he turned to writing full-time in 1976 and has not done an honest day’s work since.

His basic laziness notwithstanding, Shames has published twenty books and hundreds of magazine articles and es
More about Laurence Shames...
Florida Straits Not Fade Away: A Short Life Well Lived Mangrove Squeeze Scavenger Reef The Naked Detective