Start by marking “A Field Guide to Germs: Revised and Updated” as Want to Read:
A Field Guide to Germs: Revised and Updated

A Field Guide to Germs: Revised and Updated

From the ravages of the Ebola virus in Zaire to outbreaks of pneumonic plague in India and drug-resistant TB in New York City, contagious diseases are fighting back against once-unconquerable modern medicine. Public concern about infectious disease is on the rise as newspapers trumpet the arrivals of new germs and the reemergence of old ones.

In A Field Guide to Germs, Puli
Published June 25th 2002 by Anchor (first published July 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Field Guide to Germs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Field Guide to Germs

Mar 31, 2016 Zora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An encyclopedia of infectious diseases. Written with British wit, it was quite fun to read. I learned a good deal, and I have developed a new liking for nitrates (which keep us from getting botulism) and I now understand why you shouldn't eat shellfish in the summer, or feed the pigeons while sitting still on a park bench, and more. NOT, needless to say, for hypochondriacs, and in no sense complete, but a nice few-hour read.
Mary Shelton
Jun 04, 2016 Mary Shelton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read
When my sister Anne was about six, she rushed to tell our dad an amazing insight:"The moon doesn't actually follow us. It's just that we change spots and everybody can still see it because it's in the sky. It can't be following everybody."

His response: "I know."

My family has laughed about that over the years. This was in the days before parents said "very good" and "good job," but still, I think we can agree that he was a wet blanket. Some people just are. Book critics, especially, can be w
Feb 17, 2014 M rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the historical context but have too many bones to pick with the slightly sensationalist air of most of the writing. Probably would have been more entertaining if I hadn't simultaneously been learning the material in a very detailed, scientific context. Picking out the inaccuracies counts as studying, right?
Eva Petakovic
tl;dr I liked the content, but hated the format!

The layout of this book was unappealing to me because of how segregated the various diseases were. It was a quick and interesting read, but the alphabetical order it was presented in and the resulting incoherency made me feel as if I had whizzed through it all with very little that "stuck." I could also see that in many cases Biddle had to find creative ways to restate the same information. ex: "this disease results from bad sanitation." These redu
Feb 20, 2016 Beth rated it liked it
This is a good little introduction to various infections of all kinds, but I can't say that I learned a whole lot from it. It was mostly stuff that I knew already.

However, one fun thing that I learned was the origin of the word 'quarantine.' It came about in the 1300s when Venice required a mandatory isolation of travelers from plague-ridden countries. The length of isolation was 40 days, or 'quarantena' in Italian.
Jul 11, 2009 Liv rated it really liked it
I'm reading sections of this for microbiology, but I'm going to read all of it for me. It's one I would've read sooner, had I known about it. Germs are especially interesting to me in their historical complexity.
Sep 02, 2013 Kelly rated it it was amazing
Mr. Biddle is a great science writer with a good sense of humor. This book is a very good general overview of common diseases.
Apr 08, 2013 Ryan rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
Total snooze. Didn't finish. Annoying, dumbed-down descriptions of pathogens, arranged in, of all things, alphabetical order.
Jan 09, 2010 Neil rated it it was amazing
awesome, i wish biddle wrote more books. he is an outstanding writer. brilliant.
Jan 16, 2009 Ashley rated it liked it
Very germ related XD
Aug 02, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Essential reference.
Alan marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Vicki added it
Aug 18, 2016
Kersting rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Eeyoreloop marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Ashton Williams
Ashton Williams rated it it was amazing
Jul 17, 2016
Lisa rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Anna marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Susan rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Karen added it
May 10, 2016
Matthew Rice
Matthew Rice rated it really liked it
May 08, 2016
Chelsea Winter
Chelsea Winter marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Anaemy marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Mel marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Tapio marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Joyce Hanna
Joyce Hanna is currently reading it
Feb 25, 2016
Joe Donohue
Joe Donohue rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Kattia added it
Feb 18, 2016
Michael Roseman
Michael Roseman rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2016