Start by marking “My Dad, John McCain” as Want to Read:
My Dad, John McCain

My Dad, John McCain

Born the son and grandson of military men, Senator John McCain from Arizona was destined for a life serving his country in the armed forces. Like many great men, he occasionally struggled with authority, but once he found his true calling -- flying naval aircraft -- his ideals and commitment to his country took him far.

From the low point of five years as a prisoner of wa

Published September 2nd 2008 by Aladdin

To ask other readers questions about My Dad, John McCain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Dad, John McCain

Robin
Oct 16, 2008 Robin rated it it was amazing
Today I met the author, Meghan McCain, at the Ventura County, California, Republican Headquarters. I had her autograph 3 copies: 1 for my son's 1st grade teacher, another for my girlfriend's birthday present and the 3rd for my children. She was so sweet and kind........
.........oh, the book review. Right. Great book for many reasons. But for me, right now, it's excellent in that it's about a boy, becoming a man, and making good choices. Another "HERO" for my son to read about, learn from and fol
Anna Ligtenberg
Jan 15, 2013 Anna Ligtenberg rated it liked it
ISBN 1416975284 - I chose to read and review this book for two reasons. One is that I review more children's books than anything else lately. The other is that I wanted to know how much propaganda and how much truth could make it into a book that is aimed at children between the ages of 4 and 8. I'm disappointed in some ways; McCain fans, however, will enjoy the book.

Meghan McCain tells the life story of her father, John McCain, beginning with his birth on a naval base in Panama. Born into a nav
Christina
Mar 03, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
My son's opinion: "This book tells a really good story about the life of a man running for president. His daughter wrote it. He did not always follow the rules when he was in college but he ended up learning rules serve a good purpose. He went to war and was a war hero because he never gave up. Not everything in his life has been easy but he never gave up. And he always worked hard. The pictures are very nice too. I really enjoyed this book and I learned a lot about John McCain and his life. I t ...more
Anna Hutzky
Dec 25, 2008 Anna Hutzky rated it it was amazing
I LOOOOOOOOOOVE this book, I recomend reading it, although the election is over, it is still one of my favorite books because it is about my hero!
Oh, visit the mccainblogette.com to meet the author!
Shelli
Sep 26, 2014 Shelli rated it liked it
While I did enjoy learning about John McCain’s extraordinary life and service to our country, this book did come across a bit campaign-ie.

The first sentence reads: ”There are a few things you need to know about my dad, and one of them is that he would make a great president.”

The last page says: It takes a great man to be president of the United States, and I know that nobody will work harder than my dad to convince people that he’s the right person for the job followed by many other boastings.
Robert Beveridge
Meghan McCain, My Dad, John McCain (Aladdin, 2008)

Expecting an objective portrait of a person in any book written by one of that person's relatives seems to me a pipe dream; either the book's going to be a rostrum for praise or a cesspit for excoriation. Given that this is a kids' book, you can guess which one applies here, but then given that this is a kids' book, you also have to wonder whether this sort of thing isn't systematic, even in books not written by family members. (A few turns throu
Suzanne
To be all sorts of fair and balanced, I read this and Barack Obama: Son of Promise, Child of Hope back to back and will review them together.

Both books seemed a little full of shit (can you say shit in a picture book review?), but the McCain book was better. The illustrations were lovely, and I think the intended picture book audience will understand the story better. The Obama book was sort of abstract and cheesey, and I think the illustrations would only appeal to older librarian ladies (you k
Lori
Sep 15, 2008 Lori marked it as to-read
I accidentally caught Meghan McCain being interviewed about this book on Larry King Live, and, as someone interested in writing/illustrating children's books, I think I'll want to check it out -- I admit I'm curious, even though the illustrations (which are not by McCain's daughter) look kinda cheesy and they don't really look like the live models (or maybe they are just not my style). BUT I'll make sure I borrow it from the public library... if the author is getting royalties, I really don't wa ...more
Gala
I love the way Meghan McCain wrote this story about her dad. I liked it so much that I used it to show me how to write a children's book. Meghan narrated the story by showing the other side of her dad that people may not know like playing football,flying airplanes,was captured by the enemy,and married Meghan's mom Cindy. This history of John McCain makes good social studies,new words, adjectives,nouns,and civic-responsibility. Fifth graders could benefit from this book.
Carol
Jun 14, 2009 Carol rated it really liked it
Meghan McCain tells her father's life story to children. I met Meghan and she
autographed books for me. Since her father's campaign, she has become a writer for
the Daily Beast and "twitters" daily. Her profile has increased as she defends
her body type from Laura Ingraham and makes political statements.
Caleb
Sep 29, 2008 Caleb added it
Shelves: picture-books
Pretty terrible, even for a book about a presidential candidate written by a famil member of the candidate and released near the climax of the campaign.

Many, many more words here:

Cal Jeannette
Jul 19, 2011 Cal Jeannette rated it really liked it
Liked the book - my kids did too. I was surprised to discover how much McCain has done for our country through his military service and beyond. Whether or not you agree with his politics, you will admire this man's sacrifice, character and spirit, especially as told by his daughter.
Emely
Nov 12, 2008 Emely rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I didn't really like how it was written. I do however respect the fact that he didn't mind portraying himself as someone who didn't do all that well in school. I feel like the Obama book made him seem practically perfect.
Ellyn
Oct 06, 2008 Ellyn rated it it was amazing
I've seen this book at a few stores, and I think thsi is a really good book. It is written by John McCain's daughter, Meghan McCain. I haven't read the whole thing, but from what I did read, it it really good.
Caitlin Bonde
Mar 21, 2012 Caitlin Bonde rated it really liked it
Biography of John McCain by his daughter. Takes you through major events in his life and shows his patriotism for his country.
Oct 25, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
John McCain's daughter wrote this childrens picture book about her Dad. I had to check it out.
Angela
Jan 31, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Cooper and I both love learning about heroes, especially ones who have such an amazing story!
Matthew Cadenasso
Matthew Cadenasso marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Rosie &
Rosie & rated it did not like it
Jul 27, 2016
Sarah Schoggin
Sarah Schoggin marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Tija
Tija rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
John Irony
John Irony rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Ryan Jackson
Ryan Jackson marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
Lizz White-woodley
Lizz White-woodley rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Dorie
Dorie added it
Jan 17, 2016
Kristin Hardy
Kristin Hardy rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
1921186
Daughter of the 2008 Republican candidate for president John McCain. Meghan followed her father during his presidential campaign and accounted it on her blog.

She claimed to have voted for John Kerry in 2004. But changed to Republican in 2008.

Meghan also had a job in the media working for "Saturday Night life" and "Newsweek"
More about Meghan McCain...