Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  545 ratings  ·  67 reviews
When Dr. Nagashima loses his wife in a mysterious car crash, he is overwhelmed with grief but also an eerie sense of purpose; he becomes obsessed wiht reincarnating his dead wife. Her donated kidney is transplanted into a young girl wiht a debilitating disorder, bu the doctor also feels compelled to keep a small sample of her liver in his laboratory. When these cells start...more
Published May 20th 2008 by Vertical (first published April 2003)

Marvin
There are two things you will learn from reading Parasite Eve

1. How to do a kidney transplant. In fact, by the time you finished reading, you will likely be able to perform one on yourself. Wouldn't recommend you try it though.

2. Everything about mitochondria. I didn't know what mitochondria was. I looked it up. The information in the novel seems very accurate in the science department, although I suspect there is a lot of speculation about the evolution of both Mitochondria and human cells. But...more
Brandon
My god, where do I even begin with this book.

Let's start at the top with this: This book is the WORST. Worse than Caliban Cove , which has now retroactively become a two star book. This book put me to sleep at least three times, though I had hoped my Australian girlfriend didn't notice. In fact, having someone you love read it to you with a cute Aussie accent is its one saving grace, and I can't imagine that's what Hideaki Sena had in mind so I refuse to give him credit for that. So what exactly...more
Leo Robertson
Mitochondri-Aaaaaaaahhh!!

I still kinda see this as the guide for optimum blend of hard science with fiction and suspense.

"Yes, there is a story to be told, but if I find a kidney transplant fascinating enough to describe to you in depth then I'm bloody well gonna do it!"
Julie Hayes
Mitochondria are specialized subunits of those cells which contain nuclei, or eukaryotic cells, whose basic function is to provide energy for the cells with which to do their thing, as well as in assisting with other functions, such as controlling the cell cycle, the cell growth and the cell death. The word mitochondrion comes from the Greek words for thread and granule. Mitochondrial genes are not inherited the same way as their nucleic brethren. Basically, mitochondria are matrilineal, meaning...more
Jinny (SkyInk.net)
I became interested in this book because I had heard of the video game of the same name. I never played the video game but I had a general idea of what it was about. For those of you who, like me, have also heard of the video game, I’ll just tell you now that the game is based off of the book, but the plots are very, very different. As different as they are, the book is pretty good, in my opinion.

In Parasite Eve, a woman named Kiyomi dies in an automobile accident. Her husband, a mitochondria re...more
Judas
Si tuviera que calificar la pura historia tal vez si le hubiera dado cinco estrellas; sea por mi afición al género del terror ó porque simplemente me gustó (¿me aterró?) la premisa del libro.

Lo malo es que el ritmo, para mi gusto, está un poco fuera de balance. El principio es bastante lento y las descripciones médicas a veces detalladas en exceso. Por allá del 75% comienza lo interesante. Otra cosa que en lo personal me desagrada un poco es que abusen de las regresiones; está bien ir descubrie...more
Nick
Parasite Eve is a different kettle of fish than I'm used to reading. It is a horror novel, though pretty tame, and in my opinion more of a thriller. It starts off very slow; indeed, a key criticism of the novel would be how 70% of it is devoid of action, and centres instead on fairly technical scientific dialogue. That said, Eve eventually picks up the action, the premise is unique and fascinating, and I learned a fair bit about bio-chemistry and molecular biology just by reading this puppy. Mor...more
Jessica
If you really liked the game, you will like this book regardless. If you did not like or play the game, then here are some things you should know:

There is a lot of technical writing, but I love that in something in the horror/science fiction genre. It makes it more creepy and much more believable. But if you don't like that, stay away from this novel.

There is a lot of flashback going on. The first time I read the book, I got really confused. The second rethrough was much more enjoyable because...more
Dani
This book, though short, took me a while to get through.

I just wasn't impressed with most of it. It started somewhat slow and almost seemed weighted down with all the medical/scientific language (more than once I felt amazed that someone had translated such heightened language from Japanese). It really wasn't until the last third of the page that I "got into" the story and was pulled in.

There are multiple adaptations of this story in other mediums, I'm somewhat interested in seeing the movie but...more
Alex
Sena's Parasite Eve is a thrilling horror novel that won't make you jump out of your seat, but more puke out your lunch. This book, for a start, is not for those coming from the game' solo king for some answers. The games were based off this book, but feature a different ensemble of characters entirely. As such, I suggest you clear you mind of everything you know about this book before reading it.

Sena describes characters and settings beautifully and really adds a unique sense of horror that rea...more
Catriona
I really enjoyed the effort the author put into its research. It makes the science-fiction a logical extension to real science, even citing technical articles in the book. Also, I learnt quite a lot about human biology from it. Did you know when you have a kidney transplant, the new kidney is located near the hip instead of where the original one was?

It was good, very good sci-fi... until about 80% of the way through, then it turned to very weird sci-fi... I'm not sure whether to chalk it up to...more
David
[Overall, I would not recommend unless you're interesting in biological horror, or want some background for the PlayStation games]

I picked this up because I played Parasite Eve when I was younger, and thought that before I pick it up to play again on PSN, I should read the book, to which the game is considered a sequel.

Overall I think the concept is really cool, and I admire Dr. Sena for breaking new ground in fiction. I have a background in biology, though not in microbiology or cell biology. T...more
Scott
If Koji Suzuki is the Stephen King of Japan, Hideaki Sena would seem to be its Dean Koontz.
Doug
When I had read enough of this book to know that I wanted to write a review of it, I had planned on opening said review with the line: Contains one of the ickiest rape scenes I have ever read, and having read The Bighead, I've been exposed to etc etc. However, I wish to rescind that as my opening and start with this new line:

This book contains two of the ickiest rape scenes I have ever read, etc etc.

Those who assume I am being facetious for some humorous purpose are incorrect in their assumption...more
Nina Sankovitch
Review on www.readallday.org: Parasite Eve by Hideaki Sena is a bizarre and utterly mesmerizing book of science fiction horror. I never would have found it, much less read it, without being pointed in the right direction by a good friend with a unique taste in books. I am now pointing anyone I know in the direction: Read Parasite Eve! Long a cult favorite in Japan, the book was made into a movie and its premise — the rise of a parasitic mitochondria ready, willing, and — most scary of all — able...more
Michael
Tarl
‘Parasite Eve’ is to Kidney Transplants as ‘Moby Dick’ is to whaling.

This book was my first foray into Japanese written horror, and overall it was an interesting one. You can definitely see the differences between Western and Eastern horror within this book as the action moves along and slowly builds. The author knows his stuff, being a member of the scientific field he decided to write about, so the details within this book are above and beyond anything you would see in a standard horror novel...more
Marshall
Fiona
I was looking to have the shit scared out of me, not slowly bored out of me with a blunt instrument. Maybe this is just a case of going into a book with the wrong expectations and finding myself disappointed. I expected scary, I got slow-going lecture on pharmaceutical laboratory tests, kidney transplants, mitochondria that ended up with a lot of running around after a slimy monster with tentacles.

The premise sounded interesting with the idea of genetics, transplants and the make up of life. I d...more
Anna Janelle
Rating Clarification: 2.5

I'm SWAMPED with finals and final projects for this semester, so I'll be short and sweet - because I think I'm losing my mind.

Yay for Japanese horror; boo for this book. Perhaps I'll come back to elaborate later, but I feel that I've honestly wasted too much time on thinking about this already.

To COMPLETELY break things down in a non-scientific manner: mitochondrial cells from a doctor's dead wife mutate and try to spawn a new species that may mean the end of man kind....more
Alex
A wonderful SciFi-Thriller that has been accurately described as an addictive page-turner. No surprises there since each chapter is filled with mystery and the real plot emerges out of nowhere, as if it was always there.

Even though this story is based in real-life mitochondria research (as far as what was known in the middle 90s), there are some obvious fictional permissions the author took in order to make this such a great story, he goes as far as giving conscience to an organelle, but it work...more
Krys
I went into this knowing the basics of what happened in the first video game. (Never played it myself, but I did read through a screenshot LP once.) So the ending was a bit of a foregone conclusion to me. Still, having some idea of how the plot was going to develop was what kept me reading, as I can't imagine continuing on until the very end if I went into this completely cold.

There are looooong sections of text that don't do much in the way of character or plot development, but instead serve to...more
Hesper
Wow. Just no. I'm not even going to bother mentioning my affection for J-horror, because this book does not deserve it. It takes a killer premise, that our symbiotic relationship with mitochondria could also be our species' downfall, and stomps on it with all the fury of an enraged bull elephant.

Avert your eyes from the next two paragraphs if you care about spoilers.

Those mitochondria, the maternal ones y'see, have hatched a plan to enslave their host organism, but due to an error in judgment an...more
Budd
Hey, do you remember that Parasite Eve videogame from the 90's? Well, it was a sequel to a Novel of the same name by Hideaki Sena. It was also a movie, released direct to DVD around 2001 here in The States.

Synopsis- Toshiaki's wife dies in a car accident and she has an organ donor card for her kidneys. Her mitochondria is what caused the accident and they are also manipulating her husband, a pharmicology professor who specializes in mitochondria, into taking her liver and creating cell cultures...more
Claudia Piña
Está entre 3 y 4 estrellas. La idea me gustó, no es terror que se escuche muy seguido y con las descripción y los detalles científicos consiguió convencerme lo suficiente. Aunque quizá se extiende demasiado en los detalles y tarda en llegar a las partes interesantes. Puedo entender porqué a alguien no le guste eso, pero a mi no me molestó.

Realmente no me dio miedo, aunque si es un poco perturbadora en cuanto al horror corporal (view spoiler)...more
Annette
Warning: This is not a novelization of the first Parasite Eve game nor does it have anything about Aya Brea in it. The games were based on the science and story contained within these pages, nothing more.

I love Japanese horror novels and am a major video game enthusiast, which meant that it was a no-brainer for me to get around to actually reading this book.

The story is broken up into three major parts; the first two heavily focused on the science and the last part featuring all the good gory b...more
Allen
Great book for my first japanese book. I say the game as a sequel did it well.

(Spoiler area)

The raping of a blob/deformed women on a man was to say the least a bit odd, but great imagination in my opinion. There were plenty more instances of nasty stuff, but you'll have to read to find them out :) I would reccomend this book to fans of the games. In my opinion it was great to read the original of which the games were spawned from.

Overall, can't say I didn't like the cellular bio to a point, but...more
Timothy Frederick

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I'll be checking out Hideaki Sena's other works down the line. I only played the game for a few hours a long time ago but after reading this, I feel like giving it another shot.

One thing that is common for writers is to "write what you know". Hideaki did just that. Some of the more casual readers may find the constant medical and biology jargon a bit headache-inducing but guess what? There's a glossary of sorts in the back of the book.

The pacing was excellent....more
ปกติเป็นคนชอบอ่านนิยายตอนกินข้าว แต่เรื่องนี้ไม่สามารถเลยจริงๆ
คือทำให้กินข้าวไม่ลงกันได้ ถึงขั้นขย้อนออกมากันเลยทีเดียว
แต่คนเขียนก็เข้าใจผูกเรื่อง ผูกปมต่างๆ ไม่ร...more
Artemis
This book took awhile to get through, but the story was enjoyably creepy and compelling.
  • The Crimson Labyrinth
  • Be With You
  • Strangers
  • Autofiction
  • Villain
Nobita To Tetsujin Heidan: Shōsetsuban Doraemon Daiku No Hi: The Tragedy Of Joy Dekaruto No Misshitsu Mitokondoria No Chikara Burein Varē 001

“This was it. Kiyomi realized it now. This was what her heart had reacted to. Her heart thrilled to mitochondria.
But why?”