Start by marking “Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)” as Want to Read:
Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)

Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)

Packed with photographs, illustrations, and detailed maps, discover Germany — from the country's beautiful castles and cathedrals to the popular beer halls and festivals. Eyewitness Travel Guide: Germany provides all the insider tips every visitor needs from where to find the best food and Christmas markets to ideas for walks and hikes with comprehensive listings of the be ...more
Published January 15th 2007 by DK Eyewitness Travel (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Germany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Germany

Strangerealms
Sep 25, 2009 Strangerealms rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tourism
This particular serie of touristic books is called "Voir" or in English "See". And indeed in this book there are tons of photos, plans and it's a very visual book. It talks about every aspects of the country from history, culture, food, customs, geography, etc. It contains as well a few maps of cities and addresses like for restaurants. The book is fully in color with glazed paper, the book is a bit too heavy but at the same time it's not too big, obviously it's the glazed paper that is making i ...more
Greg Brozeit
Jan 31, 2016 Greg Brozeit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travelers to Germany
Shelves: deutsch, misc
If you've never been to Germany or only spent a short time in some part of the country and want to travel there, this is a great book to get a quick, cursory overview to plan a trip. Great photos and graphics, nice vignettes to spur on greater study of places that interest you, and organized in an accessible, easily navigated style. And it comes in a variety of languages. Recommended for people who are familiar with and like DK's approach to travel and informational books. As I do. And it's avai ...more
Julia
Jun 11, 2008 Julia rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel-guides
Hmf. I mean, the basics are alright, but I don't need so many goddamn pictures. I'm going to SEE the country, alright? I would rather they expand the "about the region" section and shrink the silly colorful maps. I borrowed this from a friend, and usually get guide books from the library instead of buying, but yeah...either way, I think different companies do a much better job (Lonely Planet is still my reigning fave, although I'm eager to try another Hidden Planet guide after my experience with ...more
Tatjana
Aug 09, 2010 Tatjana rated it liked it
Pretty good. I use it weekly, since I live in Germany at the moment.
I like the pictures as a clear reference (I've very visual), though some of them are misleading. One thing I very much like is that all parts of Germany are equally treated. That is unusual. Most books concentrate disproportionately on Bavaria and The Rhein River Valley. Don't get me wrong! They are breath-taking; however, this book actually recommends some of the little gems found elsewhere.
It's not the kind of travel book tha
Sannie
Apr 18, 2010 Sannie rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel-guides
As someone who lives in Germany, this is a helpful guide for whenever I'm going on a short trip to other cities. It has a very good overview of the main sites that you have to see, but not much is offered in terms of off-the-beaten-path. I wouldn't take any of the suggestions for hotels because they're on the expensive side and typical tourist traps. But I suppose that's what would happen when a lot of people use this book.
Wolfgang
Jan 20, 2015 Wolfgang rated it it was amazing
I can really recommend it! One of the best travel guides, especially if one is interested in history. It includes many cutaways, floor plans and reconstructions of the castles and other historic buildings, plus street maps of all the fascinating cities and towns, and region-by-region; very many detailed illustrations and fantastic photos. :)
Jim
Dec 24, 2013 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a terrible guide book but just a little too heavy and repetitive on the castles and churches. Didn't feature enough unique elements of each city. I would have probably been better off with guides for individual cities but I hadn't decided where I was going yet and had hoped that this would inform that decision. Proved to be fruitless in that regard.
Joanna
Apr 04, 2008 Joanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: travel
I love this book for planning day-trips and knowing what the highlights are in a given city. As one would expect, it has loads of photos, maps of major cities, top attractions, a brief history of the country, and a practical appendix dealing with food, transportation, accommodation, and so forth.
Karin
Jun 14, 2012 Karin rated it it was amazing
this is a very useful guide for someone who often travels to Germany. It gives enough information on what to see around the country,and where to eat, stay, and how to get around using public transportation (I never rent a car overseas)
Kelsey
May 17, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty decent book on a country with so much to do.
Lauren K
Jul 19, 2013 Lauren K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: germany, travel
Very informative and quite helpful in planning our trip to Germany this eyar.
Uber Dove
Uber Dove rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2013
Mason Barge
Mason Barge rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Ly Lam Xuan Huong
Ly Lam Xuan Huong rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Icp Intlcopro
Icp Intlcopro rated it liked it
Nov 16, 2015
Matthew
Matthew rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2014
Joanne Gaylor
Joanne Gaylor rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Caitlin Conner
Caitlin Conner rated it it was amazing
Mar 28, 2015
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2017
Sonia
Sonia rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2013
Katarina Repinski
Katarina Repinski rated it did not like it
Oct 26, 2009
Jemma
Jemma rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2011
Guadalinfo Villaharta
Guadalinfo Villaharta rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2014
Jim Aldworth
Jim Aldworth rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2012
Nux
Nux rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2008
mark macbeth
mark macbeth rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Lisa Mays
Lisa Mays rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2014
Laura rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2017
Cris
Cris rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2014
Kazumy
Jan 20, 2015 Kazumy rated it really liked it
Well, this a book u need if u wanna goto germany especially Berlin..u gonna need this!
Goodreads Librari...: please add book cover from amazon 2 10 Aug 13, 2015 05:27AM
  • France
  • Great Britain
  • Amsterdam (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Spain (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Paris
  • Australia
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Portugal (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Italy
  • New York
  • Turkey
  • Florence & Tuscany
  • Vienna
  • Prague
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Top 10 London (DK Eyewitness Travel)