Start by marking “The Pea Blossom” as Want to Read:
The Pea Blossom

The Pea Blossom

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  74 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In a small garden near the great city of Beijing, five peas rest patiently in the same shell. As the peas grow, so do their dreams. It is the smallest pea whose journey transforms the life of a mother and daughter in this rendition of a Hans Christian Andersen tale.
Published December 31st 2005 by Holiday House (first published 1853)

To ask other readers questions about The Pea Blossom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pea Blossom

Dee
Jan 25, 2011 Dee rated it it was amazing
The original by Hans Christian Andersen was first published in Danish in 1853. When I saw this book I knew it was special. A story of five little peas who get what they ask for. (The fifth pea trembled as the boy rolled him into the peashooter. "What is to happen will happen," he said, and sighed.) I loved the illustrations. They were smooth and just made your eyes feel good, especially when the blossoms appeared. Beautiful book with great story. I am glad it fell upon my desk at work one day. I ...more
Chelsea
This book is a retelling of Hans Christian Anderson's classic tale, "The Pea Blossom." It is the story of one small pea that lands in the windowsill of a sick girl and begins to grow into a pea plant, bringing new life and healing to the sick girl.

This book can be used to discuss how an ordinary person can make a big difference.

It could be used in a science unit on plants, as it shows how the pea grows out of one plant and then creates a brand new plant.

Math: There are 5 peas in the original pe
Daphne
I really like this retelling of a Hans Christian Andersen tale, especially resituating it in China, but what makes this book five stars for me is the illustrating throughout. It's easy to see how a young, sick girl could love this lovely pea plant.
Regina Ajiboye
May 03, 2015 Regina Ajiboye rated it liked it
Shelves:
This book was ok.. the book teaches children about your destiny. How important that things will happen for a reason even if the things to plan don't go your way. To be happy because you may help someone else in your journey.
Becky
Dec 24, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, fun
I was surprised at how taken aback I was when the first peas... met their fates. They're just peas - but I was convinced of their little pea personalities. Very enjoyable.
Jasmine
Mar 13, 2016 Jasmine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read for my kid. Don't like reading about death to little kids but the rest of the story is good.
Teri
Jun 29, 2014 Teri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't realize this was based on a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson.
Winnie
Oct 17, 2008 Winnie rated it liked it
Summary: In a garden near Beijing, five peas in a shell grow and wait to discover what fate has in store for them. This story is a retelling of “The Pea Blossom” by Hans Christian Andersen, which was originally published in Danish in 1853.

My Thoughts: Thought the illustrations were perfect for the story. They were done in a greenish tint and added insight to the setting. The faces on the peas added character. The story itself is very sweet.
Leatha
Five peas are in the shell in a garden in Beijing. As the peas wait to blossom each pea has a dream of what will happen to them. A boy opens the peas to use in his pea shooter. All the peas fall out, 4 getting ruined. The 5th lands on a window seal and grows into a plant.

This is a good book for younger children K-2 grade. They will love the illustrations in the book. The children will be eager to see what happens to each pea
Dolly
Jul 28, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a lovely retelling of the Hans Christian Andersen story. The illustrations are fun and expressive and the story is very good. I loved the "be careful what you ask for" theme and the idea of becoming who you are meant to be. We really enjoyed reading this story together.
Ch_beverlyatwood
Feb 14, 2010 Ch_beverlyatwood rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
This is an updated version of a Hans Christian Anderson tale. The pictures of the peas are adorable and the message of hope that the smallest pea conveys is one that stretches across cultures. I think that young children aged 4-7 would appreciate the pictures and be able to comprehend the story line. This fine book was recommended in Boklist on March 1, 2005.
Whitestorm
Oct 12, 2012 Whitestorm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty pictures! :D I really like the fifth pea's philosophy, 'What is to happen will happen.' I also think it's really funny how the first four peas got what they wished for, but not at all in the way that they believed! ^^
Holly
Apr 29, 2012 Holly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this retelling of this story. Even the littlest pea with a laid back look on his life ended up making a huge impact.
CFAITC
In a garden near Beijing, five peas grow in a shell and wait to discover their fate.
Samantha
Based on the tale by Hans Christian Anderson. Muted illustrations.
Lisa Shaughnessy
Nov 05, 2013 Lisa Shaughnessy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great book to use for garden programming
Diana
Diana added it
Jul 27, 2016
Pat Winter
Pat Winter marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Aiyah
Aiyah added it
Jul 08, 2016
Juliette
Juliette marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 29, 2016
Beyond the Pages
Beyond the Pages rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2016
Benjamin Elliott
Benjamin Elliott rated it really liked it
May 03, 2016
Tracy
Tracy rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Brandi
Brandi rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Amna
Amna rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2016