The Pea Blossom

The Pea Blossom

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  14 reviews
In a small garden near the great city of Beijing, five peas rest patiently in the same shell. As the peas grow, so do their dreams. It is the smallest pea whose journey transforms the life of a mother and daughter in this rendition of a Hans Christian Andersen tale.
Published December 31st 2005 by Holiday House (first published 1853)

dee
The original by Hans Christian Andersen was first published in Danish in 1853. When I saw this book I knew it was special. A story of five little peas who get what they ask for. (The fifth pea trembled as the boy rolled him into the peashooter. "What is to happen will happen," he said, and sighed.) I loved the illustrations. They were smooth and just made your eyes feel good, especially when the blossoms appeared. Beautiful book with great story. I am glad it fell upon my desk at work one day. I...more
Chelsea
This book is a retelling of Hans Christian Anderson's classic tale, "The Pea Blossom." It is the story of one small pea that lands in the windowsill of a sick girl and begins to grow into a pea plant, bringing new life and healing to the sick girl.

This book can be used to discuss how an ordinary person can make a big difference.

It could be used in a science unit on plants, as it shows how the pea grows out of one plant and then creates a brand new plant.

Math: There are 5 peas in the original pe...more
Teri
Didn't realize this was based on a fairy tale by Hans Christian Anderson.
Winnie
Summary: In a garden near Beijing, five peas in a shell grow and wait to discover what fate has in store for them. This story is a retelling of “The Pea Blossom” by Hans Christian Andersen, which was originally published in Danish in 1853.

My Thoughts: Thought the illustrations were perfect for the story. They were done in a greenish tint and added insight to the setting. The faces on the peas added character. The story itself is very sweet.
Leatha
Five peas are in the shell in a garden in Beijing. As the peas wait to blossom each pea has a dream of what will happen to them. A boy opens the peas to use in his pea shooter. All the peas fall out, 4 getting ruined. The 5th lands on a window seal and grows into a plant.

This is a good book for younger children K-2 grade. They will love the illustrations in the book. The children will be eager to see what happens to each pea
Dolly
Jul 28, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a lovely retelling of the Hans Christian Andersen story. The illustrations are fun and expressive and the story is very good. I loved the "be careful what you ask for" theme and the idea of becoming who you are meant to be. We really enjoyed reading this story together.
Ch_beverlyatwood
This is an updated version of a Hans Christian Anderson tale. The pictures of the peas are adorable and the message of hope that the smallest pea conveys is one that stretches across cultures. I think that young children aged 4-7 would appreciate the pictures and be able to comprehend the story line. This fine book was recommended in Boklist on March 1, 2005.
Whitestorm
Pretty pictures! :D I really like the fifth pea's philosophy, 'What is to happen will happen.' I also think it's really funny how the first four peas got what they wished for, but not at all in the way that they believed! ^^
Holly
I liked this retelling of this story. Even the littlest pea with a laid back look on his life ended up making a huge impact.
CFAITC
In a garden near Beijing, five peas grow in a shell and wait to discover their fate.
Samantha
Based on the tale by Hans Christian Anderson. Muted illustrations.
Lisa Shaughnessy
great book to use for garden programming
Mandi Stalnaker
Mandi Stalnaker marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Miyuki
Miyuki added it
Jun 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Hans Christian Andersen (Danish: [ˈhanˀs ˈkʁæsdjan ˈɑnɐsn̩]; often referred to in Scandinavia as H. C. Andersen; April 2, 1805 – August 4, 1875) was a Danish author and poet. Although a prolific writer of plays, travelogues, novels, and poems, Andersen is best remembered for his fairy tales. Andersen's popularity is not limited to children; his stories—called eventyr, or "fairy-tales"—express them...more
More about Hans Christian Andersen...
The Complete Fairy Tales The Little Match Girl The Little Mermaid The Emperor's New Clothes The Snow Queen