Start by marking “The Ultimate Guide to Trail Running: Everything You Need to Know About Equipment, Finding Trails, Nutrition, Hill Strategy, Racing, Avoiding Injury, Training, Weather, Safety, and More” as Want to Read:

Combining all the health and fitness benefits of walking and road running, the outdoor adventure of sports such as hiking and mountain biking, and the spiritual renewal from a day spent communing with nature, is it any wonder that trail running is fast becoming one of the most popular fitness activities? Whether you're a complete beginner or have been hitting the trails fo ...more
Published September 1st 2001 by The Lyons Press

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Guide to Trail Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Guide to Trail Running

Becky
Jan 13, 2013 Becky rated it it was ok
All the information was either common sense or common to any running guide/running common sense (dress warmly when it's cold outside, wear layers, buy shoes that fit, etc).
Lilia
Aug 11, 2014 Lilia rated it it was ok
I agree that experienced runners would know most of this info. Ch. 3 about Trail Running Technique was the most useful for me, particularly the tips about encountering obstacles and proper form for ascents/descents. Also Ch. 10 on Hazards of the Trail was useful. However, this book was published in 2001 and in 2014, this info could easily be searched online. Lastly, there is a definite bias toward trail-running over road-running that some may find irritating.
C
Nov 29, 2015 C rated it it was amazing
Shelves: running-books
This is full of great information.

As other reviewers have mentioned, you can find most of that information on the internet if you dig a little, but it's a good, compact book to check out from the library and (save yourself some googling) peruse for areas you may need some help/instruction/insight/a refresher.

One of the authors is a Colorado trail runner, so there are some safety tips and information in here that are specific to landscape and climate that are great for locals starting out with
Steve
Nov 29, 2010 Steve rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One star. I'm an avid runner and do most of my training/racing on roads. Thought I'd pick this up to get some info on converting to trails or at least running more on trails. I still will do so, but not because of having read this book. The only information of value for me was the section on animals and what to do when you see them. Ie. Grizzly vs Black bear, etc. Other than that, the authors make it a point to put down road-runners at every chance they can get. From footwear and clothing choice ...more
Michelle
Feb 08, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
Really looking forward to using the tips and ideas. Paintas a beautiful and practical picture of "floating" over trails and taking in the world around you.
Tyler Cadigan
Jan 26, 2014 Tyler Cadigan rated it liked it
Pretty fair evaluation of what to expect and what can be encountered.
Tomherndon
Jan 04, 2014 Tomherndon rated it really liked it
I found the guide to be a one stop shop. I was happy to find a book that addressed differences in trails and streets/roads. Clearly the authors sought out experienced runners for their thoughts and experiences at every opportunity.

Michelle Lines
May 19, 2013 Michelle Lines rated it liked it
This book contained mostly common sense type stuff or general info most experienced runners would already know. I found the most interesting chapter to be "Hazards of the Trail", although if I'm going to be completely honest, reading that chapter just added to my (irrational?) fears of mountain lions, lightning, and new to the list thanks to this book - snakes.
Hannah Wilkes
Almost entirely common sense. The first eight chapters were not helpful, and I stopped reading. I've only been running trails for a few months, but I found I had already figured out the major advice of this book: Each runner is different; try and see what works for you.
Kevin Orrman-Rossiter
OK but would recommend "Relentless forward progress" by Bryan Powell as a better read - even though it is about running ultras it cover trail-running as part of that.
Dale
Mar 29, 2009 Dale rated it really liked it
Shelves: sport-fitness
A great basic primer for those wanting to start trail running.
Justin
Justin added it
Aug 31, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Stephen L. McNeil
Stephen L. McNeil rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Valerie Butcher-Enriquez
Valerie Butcher-Enriquez rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Bertrandb
Bertrandb marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Michal Golis
Michal Golis marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Luciano Nigro
Luciano Nigro marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Malin Friess
Malin Friess marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Matthew C. Bates
Matthew C. Bates rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2016
Mel McElroy
Mel McElroy rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2016
Eric
Eric rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
David Failing
David Failing is currently reading it
Feb 14, 2016
April
April rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016
Puneet
Puneet marked it as to-read
Nov 26, 2015
Joe
Joe added it
Nov 16, 2015
Kishna
Kishna rated it liked it
Nov 11, 2015