Start by marking “Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This book is a wonderful addition to a graduate course on professional writing, to a writers' group in need of some structure, or even to the lone writer who needs assistance becoming an academic writer." Chronicle of Higher Education Wendy Laura Belcher s Writing Your Journal Article in Twelve Weeks: A Guide to Academic Publishing Success is a revolutionary approach to en ...more
Published January 21st 2009 by Sage Publications (CA) (first published January 13th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Your Journal Article in 12 Weeks

Ms.Given
One of the reasons I rated this book so highly was the fact that I had the opportunity to use it as a part of a graduate class on revising writing. It was the most useful class of my doctoral work and I wish I had taken the course earlier! The book is well-organized, clear, direct, and gives structured guidelines for revising a piece of work for submission for publication. As a novice writer in the academic sense, I found the book helpful for making sure one starts writing and keeps writing thro ...more
Gloria

Overall, the book is definitely highly structured and good for those who need a great deal of help managing their time in what is always an onerous task. Found lots of confirmation about what I already teach while coaching graduate students. Good description of the academic journal landscape introduced throughout her lesson plan, which can be helpful for first time writers.

Fantastic example of original version, plagiarized version, borderline plagiarized and correctly summarized text which shoul
Katrina
Nov 23, 2009 Katrina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graduate students and junior faculty
I used this book, with some adaptations, to teach MA students in my department how to write a thesis proposal. At the same time I used it to revise and resubmit an article and shared my process with the students. My article was accepted before the quarter's end, and this book helped that happen.
Kristi Wyatt
This book has helped me begin to work through my writing-paralysis! I think I will refer to it often in the future.
Lindsay
Belcher’s book is a wonderful reference that can be used for anyone looking to publish for the first time in the social sciences, humanities, and education. However, the resources provided in the text such as the weekly writing schedules and the tips for macro and micro editing are relevant and useful even to those authors publishing for the tenth time. With the help of Belcher, writing and editing has become a habit where only a few hours a week blossom into completed texts ready to be sent out ...more
Kharah
Keep in mind that when Belcher says 12 weeks, that's not 12 weeks from scratch but 12 weeks to take an essentially written project and convert it into something publishable. My take is that this is largely geared towards people who have little to no publishing/writing experience and who don't seem to have mentors/supervisors/advisers who are invested in teaching their students about writing and publishing in their area. So if you have writing experience and/or a solid advisor to coach you along, ...more
Katie
A helpful guide to taking a rough project or paper and polishing it into a publishable journal article in three months. I'm a little skeptical that the distribution of work over 12 weeks is reasonable - there are some weeks that could be accomplished in an hour or two, while there are others that will eat up most of your week. But it's nevertheless a nice guide, and I'm hoping it will give some shape and drive to the sorts of projects that can tend to linger unfinished for months on end.

(Sorry I
Leah
Super disappointed. This book should be title "REVISING Your Jounal Article in 12 Weeks." It is completely based on the assumption that you have an existing paper you want to turn into a journal style article and doesn't provide help with the actual writing process (when starting from scratch). I'll come back to this book when I'm ready to revise I guess, because I do think it would be useful for that.
Elizabeth
This was one of the most thorough and clearly laid out books on academic writing I've seen. Belcher is not only encouraging (emotionally), she also provides pragmatic and realistic advice for how to prepare articles for publication. She is especially good at explaining what makes article writing different than writing for other genres, and she provides clear examples for modeling. Highly recommended.
Dougald
A decent read for anyone who has never read about academic writing before. If you have, it is skim-worthy.

Probably the strongest aspect of the book concerns argumentation in an academic article. Another strong section discusses how to weed down your reading for your article so that you are not buried under mounds of books and articles.
Mary
One for the workshop, certainly, maybe a class if supplemented with other professionalization tasks. I like the weekly process, the systematic approach and the language that seems to work for graduate students. Daily logs are very important for setting good habits of any sort and writing is no exception. The only complaints I have are that the grammatical proofing section is a little static (myself, I like Sword's text for academic style revisions) and that 12 weeks may seem awfully slow for wha ...more
Nmyers
Had to stop reading this, it was too easy to procrastinate on reading over writing. Finally got some articles written and now to an APA editor. The deadline approaching did the magic. This book is really geared more toward editing an idea or article that is already written rather than starting from scratch.
Lizz
Helpful, but don't read the WHOLE thing. Read only the sections you need to work on. Am wondering if I found a lot of this to be a big "DUH" bc I'm a librarian and so am tasked with knowing journals, understanding article structure and evaluation, etc.

Could have been half the length!
Mandy
Belcher offers a direct and practical approach to revising an academic article for publication, in just 12 weeks if you keep to her mostly manageable schedule. I like how realistic this workbook is - Belcher doesn't expect writing to just be easy; she's upfront about it being hard, but she also addresses every possible excuse one could have for not writing and stresses that writing is an academic's job. If you're not writing, then you're not doing your job.

Belcher's advice is practical (write ev
Titus Hjelm
Some good advice if you can ignore the initially funny, but later quite ugly US-centrism. I don't know whether it tells more about the ignorance of the author or US academia, but there is actually some OK research done elsewhere in the world as well.
Connie
This is a very useful book. It is written as a handbook that walks you step-by-step through writing an article for publication in an academic journal. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is currently writing or needs to write an academic article.
Jisel Villegas
Very useful and easy to read and follow.
Karra
This is great!
Alex Timberman
This book helped me write my first peer-reviewed article. It gave me good advice on how to structure an article and on explaining what all should go into an article. The author gives tons of advice on how to write and publish an article in an easy to understand way. Without exaggeration, I believe she must have felt a higher calling to help those in need. This book felt inspired at times and I’m glad to own this book.
Anabela Maia
This is a great book for graduate students and early career researchers in the social sciences/humanities. The ideas are good but they are hard to apply to other fields. Some chapters about identifying suitable journals and decluttering your paper are useful across fields.
Essi
A good hand-in-hand for revising an article. Easy to skip unnecessary parts and a good companion during the writing marathon. Demanding but supporting - and not in any too cheery a way but very realistic and trustworthy examples.

I was a bit disappointed that the grammar check section didn't have cases for ppl writing English as a second language: only further reading tips - which was ofcourse good but I didn't have the time to check for extra reading when I was at that point. We'll see if the ar
Sumeyye Pa
This book is a gem for those struggling with writing.
Mills College Library
070.50973 B427 2009
Rebekah
Highly recommended. This step-by-step, no nonsense, get-it-done guide to dusting off half-finished work and sending it out is humanities-centric and up to date with the latest trends and guidelines in academic publishing.
Although I never did turn my thesis into a journal article, if I theoretically wanted to/had enough time, this would be an excellent workbook to start doing that.
Rebecca
This is very useful.
Kristin
Useful advice for keeping oneself on task when prepping something for publication.
Veysel
Veysel marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Magnus Lind
Magnus Lind marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
  • How to Write a Lot: A Practical Guide to Productive Academic Writing
  • Write Your Dissertation in Fifteen Minutes a Day
  • Professors as Writers
  • Stylish Academic Writing
  • Engaging Ideas: The Professor's Guide to Integrating Writing, Critical Thinking, and Active Learning in the Classroom
  • Demystifying Dissertation Writing: A Streamlined Process from Choice of Topic to Final Text
  • Tricks of the Trade: How to Think about Your Research While You're Doing It
  • Writing with Style: Conversations on the Art of Writing
  • They Say/I Say: The Moves That Matter in Academic Writing
  • Graduate Study for the Twenty-First Century: How to Build an Academic Career in the Humanities
  • The Unwritten Rules of Ph.D. Research
  • What They Didn't Teach You in Graduate School: 199 Helpful Hints for Success in Your Academic Career
  • Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student's Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.
  • Inventing Ireland
  • Jesus Christ and the Life of the Mind
  • "So What Are You Going to Do with That?": Finding Careers Outside Academia
  • Original Sin: A Cultural History
  • The Craft of Research (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing, and Publishing)
Cómo escribir un artículo académico en 12 semanas: guía para publicar con éxito Honey from the Lion Writting your Journal Article in 12 Weeks Abyssinia's Samuel Johnson: Ethiopian Thought in the Making of an English Author Discursive possession

“The originality of a subject is in its treatment” (Disraeli 1870, 142).” 0 likes
“To be a good writer of journal articles, you must read journal articles.” 0 likes