Start by marking “Isaac Asimov's Treasury Of Humour A Lifetime Collection Of Favourite Jokes, Anecdotes, And Limericks With Copious Notes On How To Tell Them And Why” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Isaac Asimov's Treasur...

Isaac Asimov

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Here is a lifetime harvest of Isaac Asimov's favorite anecdotes, jokes, puns, and scandalous verse - 640 selections in all. Everything is included, from the original shaggydog story ( in mercifully truncated form) to famous putdowns from ancient history, from the cerebral whimsies of Talmudic wit to the bawdiness of the barracks. There is bound to be something new for ever ...more
Published September 1st 1979 (first published 1971)

Be the first to ask a question about Isaac Asimov's Treasury Of Humour A Lifetime Collection Of Favourite Jokes, Anecdotes, And Limericks With Copious Notes On How To Tell Them And Why

Ron
Dr. A's tome is as interesting for what it tells us about changes in humor since 1971 as information about the forming and presentation of jokes. As usual his work is informative and easy to read, and equally typical for his non-fiction work padded with personal references and editorial asides. Some readers will object; I find it adds to the fun of reading him.

Amazing how many "current" jokes were old stand bys forty years ago.

I especially liked his dipping into material from as early as the Gre
Valerie
I pulled this off the shelf because I was looking for a citation for the joke that ends "The chef says he refuses to butcher an entire elephant just for one cutlet."

I've puzzled through the index (which confusingly refers to joke numbers rather than page numbers), and I think that joke is not in this book. But since I've hauled the thing down, I might as well read it again. I think it may be where I first encountered many other classic jokes, if not the one I was looking for.

Yes, there are seve
Venkataraman Kumbakonam S.

This book may be easily described as a text book for those who want to write on humor. Isaac Asimov, the author, has mastered the art of humor and has systematized the creation and expression of humor stories or jokes. His classification of humor stories is very informative.

The author's interlocutory remarks are no doubt educative but for a casual leader they are redundant. Knowing this the author suggests to skip them if the reader feels like that but also warns that the reader is likely to mi
Jon
Not just entertaining, but insightful and informative as well. Asimov almost comes off as arrogant as he very frankly explains why we laugh and what is funny, and offers examples from his own formidable collection. And in the end, if he is being arrogant, he absolutely earns it. His analysis of humor is spot on and I find myself referencing it frequently in conversation. I was also delighted to read several jokes that are still around today, both mutated ones and those that are still in tact. Un ...more
Ravi Veloo
Amazing insight from Asimov into why we laugh at a joke, with loads of annotations.

Also the best all-rounder collection of jokes I have ever encountered, some short, some long, and a whole section on bawdy jokes. Unbeatable in this category. Almost encyclopaedic, like Asimov's mind itself.

By the way, he includes one real-life anecdote where he asked a fellow writer, "When will your next book be coming out?" and the response to the prolific Asimov was, "And when will your next book not be coming
66yoguy
The author ststed that he would provide commentary about humor and why certain jokes were funny,
I read the first 95 jokes. They provided me with not one funny joke, not even one single chuckle.
Often, I found myself continuing to read along after the joke had ended and right into his commentary about why the joke was funny.
I missed the humor, and punch line, time and time again.
Didn't bother finishing it.
Pastie
Asmimovs Science fiction novels have dated well and feel as fresh and relevant today as when they were written.

Unfortunatly, his humour hasn't and this book feels really dated. Admittedly lots of the jokes/anecdotes relate to the Jewish religion/ way of life, which I know very little about, but I get the sense that even then I'm not sure If I'd find it funny.
Unojoe2
This is an awesome completely dry analytical view of humor for the complete nerd!!! I read it in HS instead of attending one of my classes that was completely and incredibly boring and I don't regret missing that class in the slightest! This book is really quite entertaining for the detail oriented mind with an interest in humor analysis.
Travis Hull
More than just a joke book, Asimov takes a deeper look at what humor is and how it's constructed. Every kind of joke is covered along with advice on how to tell it, timing, etiquette, choice of words, etc. People still don't laugh at my jokes, but at least now I know that it's their fault, not mine.
Curtiss
The Good Doctor presents a collection of jokes,anecdotes, and limericks, with accompanying criticism of how they work (or don't).
Frank Taranto
Some amusing jokes and stories. This was fun to read in stages.
G. Branden
In anyone's hands but Asimov's, I'd probably rate this a 2.
Katherine Jensen
Jul 17, 2013 Katherine Jensen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 89
2/9/89. Mt. Dora.
Mister Rabdargad
Mister Rabdargad marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
James
James is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
Melanie Varney
Melanie Varney marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Baatwood
Baatwood marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Seeta Joseph
Seeta Joseph marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Karan
Karan marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Alan Mendelsohn
Alan Mendelsohn marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Tienyin
Tienyin marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Shashank Maruvada
Shashank Maruvada marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Luis Bracero
Luis Bracero marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Bahar
Bahar added it
Nov 25, 2014
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Life
  • The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College
  • Dave Barry Does Japan
  • The Action Hero's Handbook: How to Catch a Great White Shark, Perform the Vulcan Nerve Pinch, Track a Fugitive, and Dozens of Other TV and Movie Skills
  • Forbidden Knowledge: 101 Things NOT Everyone Should Know How to Do
  • Oxymoronica: Paradoxical Wit and Wisdom from History's Greatest Wordsmiths
  • Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
  • Why Do Men Fall Asleep After Sex? More Questions You'd Only Ask a Doctor After Your Third Whiskey Sour
  • I Hated, Hated, Hated This Movie
  • Who Put The Butter In Butterfly?
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers, Volume II
  • If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times
  • The Mystery Science Theater 3000 Amazing Colossal Episode Guide
  • Stick to Drawing Comics, Monkey Brain!

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)