Start by marking “The KILLING SEASON” as Want to Read:
The KILLING SEASON

The KILLING SEASON

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  138 ratings  ·  16 reviews
An uncensored view of the inner workings of a homicide detective team shadowed by a crime reporter for a summer follows seasoned veteran Pete Razanskas and his partner, Marcella Winn, through three months of cops, killers, victims, and their families. 25,000 first printing.
Published May 6th 1997 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about The KILLING SEASON, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The KILLING SEASON

Melissa McClintock
I found this book in the Teen Section. I really liked the fact that the motive for the book was that the LA reporter couldn't believe no one really cared if people died in South Central LA or not.

Also, it is refreshing that he doesn't tend to "have a drum to beat" in this. He doesn't sugar coat the touchy issues like the Rodney King incident. He is able to reflect things as they are. Compassion for gangsters, especially young ones, and still who they are is hardened killers. That is the paradox?
Kristin
It's been a while since I read a non-fiction cop book, and I chose a good one. The author profiles a detective team in L.A.'s South Central neighborhood, one of the most notorious for homicides, especially during the summer, hence the title 'The Killing Season'. The two detectives are Razanskas ('Raz'), a multi-ethnic light-skinned male veteran of the Homicide Division, and Winn, a black female detective trainee who has worked her way up through the ranks of the LAPD. The race is important, as S ...more
Lisa
A decent true crime book following two detectives assigned to South Central over one summer in the mid-nineties and showing what an uphill battle both they and the residents of South Central face in relation to the violence that affects the lives there. In an environment where a couple of homicides can occur an evening, in addition to the over-abundance of cases and mountains of paperwork the detectives are struggling through they also face scared witnesses refusing to cooperate, young people im ...more
Raven
After becoming hooked on the brilliant Southland - Season 1 [DVD] [2009]it was only natural that this book would appeal. Miles Corwin expertly documents the world of the LAPD detective and the senseless killings that define the South-Central area of Los Angeles. Following a veteran detective- the wonderful Pete Razanskas- and his feisty new partner Marcella Winn- we gain a real insight into the crippling hours, an severely under-funded police department and the physical and emotional effects of ...more
Jim
I was annoyed to buy this and find that it was about fifteen years old, focusing on the LA gang culture and following two detectives who were involved in trying to solve the cases spilling out of the annual summer murder spree in the city. Cashing in on the success of "The Wire", it didn't live up to the TV series as far as I was concerned, although I felt that had it been even remotely contemporary I would have persevered with it.
Miles Corwin takes a closer look at crime in South Central LA, an inner-city neighborhood filled with gang violence and grieving families. He joins homicide detectives Razanskas and Winn on their investigations and interviews many victims. He writes about the crimes in a national context as well--Rodney King, the prison system and the Watts riots. It's a fast read, as well as a fair representation of socio-economic issues.
Susan
An alternate title might be, "Hardworking Cops Cleaning up Destruction Caused by Thugs," or, "Depressing Results from Neglecting Children."
I loved and respect the two cops featured in the book. The unrelenting cycle of senseless violence is incredible and disturbing, and there's no easy solution. A glimpse into another world that's too real for many people.
God bless our homicide detetives!
Mary
Again another book for research but the author does a great job of revealing the human side of law enforcement, the victims, the defendants, the witnesses and the family of the victims. It's very bittersweet and heart breaking at times. But he throws in the humor along with the struggle of solving and convicting crimes.
Sue
Sep 02, 2013 Sue rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: crimen
I lose interest when one of the character's names is repeated 1-5 times on EVERY SINGLE page. In this case it was the word Razanskas. I think the author might have improved this book by using the short version of it, "Raz," as mentioned when it first appeared. Wouldn't have been so aggravating.
Patrick O'Neil
There's a whole bunch a murders in South Central L.A.? Go figure. Decent, well written account of homicide detectives at work. Interesting interaction between partners, old school meets new school etc.
Dolores
I was hoping for a broad range of homicide cases since it deals with the LAPD homicide division--sadly most of the cases encountered by the two detectives followed were gang-related.
Wendy
Oct 21, 2008 Wendy is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A summer in South Central LA amongst the gangs and the crimes they commit, feels like you are riding along
Stephan
True life for two LAPD homicide detective. Interesting and fast paced.
Katie
Very gritty true crime book about life in the homicide department of LA.
Vanessa Patrick
Sad, disturbing look into the reality of LA killings in '95.
Eric
a raw look at police work in the LAPD.
Brian
Brian added it
Dec 23, 2014
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Kayla Mckinney
Kayla Mckinney marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
David Addiss
David Addiss marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Liz Freya R
Liz Freya R marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Jorgen
Jorgen marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Avenue Stain remover
Avenue Stain remover marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Evil Serial Killers
  • Cold Zero: Inside the FBI  Hostage Rescue Team
  • The Restless Sleep: Inside New York City's Cold Case Squad
  • The Magnificent Spilsbury and the case of the Brides in the Bath
  • Judgment Ridge: The True Story Behind the Dartmouth Murders
  • The Last Undercover: The True Story of an FBI Agent's Dangerous Dance with Evil
  • The Elements of Murder: A History of Poison
  • Stalling for Time: My Life as an FBI Hostage Negotiator
  • Down Among the Dead Men: A Year in the Life of a Mortuary Technician
  • Vice: One Cop's Story of Patrolling America's Most Dangerous City
  • Eyeing the Flash: The Making of a Carnival Con Artist
  • Satan's Silence: Ritual Abuse and the Making of a Modern American Witch Hunt
  • Inside the Mind of BTK: The True Story Behind the Thirty-Year Hunt for the Notorious Wichita Serial Killer
  • Blind Eye: The Terrifying Story Of A Doctor Who Got Away With Murder
  • Jack the Ripper: The Final Solution
  • The Unknown Darkness: Profiling the Predators Among Us
  • Fingerprints: The Origins of Crime Dectection and the Murder Case That Launched Forensic Science
  • Howdunit: How Crimes Are Committed and Solved
And Still We Rise:: The Trials and Triumphs of Twelve Gifted Inner-City Students Kind of Blue Homicide Special: A Year with the LAPD's Elite Detective Unit Midnight Alley The Killing Season: A Summer in South-Central with LAPD Homicide