Start by marking “The White Rhino Hotel: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The White Rhino Hotel: A Novel

The White Rhino Hotel: A Novel (Anton Rider #1)

Historic romance and adventure do not get any better than in this companion novel to the top-selling A Café on the Nile. The Great War has ended, tragically for many, but for some, Africa holds the prospect of vast estates, fabulous wealth, and limitless opportunity in this powerful, wonderfully crafted novel of the natural and human perils that await pioneers in a promise ...more
Published August 10th 2000 by Da Capo Press (first published May 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The White Rhino Hotel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The White Rhino Hotel

Joseph Wallace
Dec 18, 2010 Joseph Wallace rated it really liked it
This, the first of a trilogy set in Africa and spanning the two World Wars, is my favorite of the thee. (Though all are worth reading.) It's occasionally roughly written, but peopled by vivid characters and a superb sense of the time and place (colonial Kenya soon after World War I). All three books are dark-edged and violent, but also human and compelling. Another neglected author worthy of more notice.
Susan
Sep 10, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
My initial assessment of this one was too sexist and too violent, but I ended up listening compulsively. (It was a sexist and violent time and place.) It's a great historical adventure tale that takes place in British East Africa right after WWI.

The characters are wonderful: an English aristocrat who's gradually sold all his land in England to finance his unsuccessful farms in Kenya. He owns the White Rhino. His barman and manager is a Goan dwarf with great ambitions and a lifetime of resentment
Barbarac
This book is a dangerous safari, kinky sex and cheese-making all rolled in one. After the first few chapters in which I couldn’t really connect to any of the characters and none of the war stories really interested me, I finally got hooked. There’s five main characters in this book, and I believe there’s a sequel to it and they are all in there. There’s the old stuffy Brit Lord Penfold, the rigid German Von Decken, the conniving Goan Olivio and the young Anton and Gwen. By the end of the book th ...more
Al
Aug 07, 2014 Al rated it it was ok
This action and romance book is set in British East Africa in the immediate aftermath of WW I. The background theme is the provision of land grants to British veterans who wished to seek a new life in colonizing this part of Africa. It features the normal collection of characters--British, German, Portuguese and native African. Most of them are common types, but I have to admit I was taken aback by the Portuguese (Goan) expatriate dwarf who indulged (frequently and graphically) in kinky sex wit ...more
Heather(Gibby)
I listened to this as an audiobook.
I found it really slow going the first third of the book. There were a lot of names to learn, and they were sometimes referred to by first name and sometime last, so it got quite confusing. Once you did get to know the characters the story got to be a lot more interesting, It takes place in Kenya just after world war one. It showcases the experiences of five main characters trying to make a new life in this part of the world. The characters face a large degree
Robin
Oct 04, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
I listened to this book and must confess that I turned the volume way down during the particularly gory scenes. All manner of animals and people were attacked and/or killed in most graphic descriptions. I'm sure it was a violent time just after WWI in east Africa. The characters are so well defined that I could picture the scenes easily - what a movie it would make! I've always had a fascination with Kenya and this book added immensely to my mental image. The stories of the characters interwove ...more
Katie
May 19, 2010 Katie rated it really liked it
This is a book set in post WWI Eastern Africa and it is a fascinating setting and weird group of charactors. At first I felt repulsed enough by the conniving charactors that only the amazing descriptions of early colonial Africa kept me going. There really were some raw, gross things in the book, but I was hooked and plan to read the next one. I should have expected that because Bull's other book about Shanghai was nasty enough to leave permanent scar damage on my brain.
Raymond Rockwell
Mar 15, 2016 Raymond Rockwell rated it really liked it
Travel the world and the seven seas: / Everybody's looking for something.

And after WWI, many of them looked for it in Africa-- opportunists both active and
passive, hasbeens and wannabes, interloper and dispossessed--and crossed paths
at Lord Penfold's White Rhino Hotel.

Celia
Jul 08, 2015 Celia rated it really liked it
First of the three Anton Rider trilogy. It takes place in Africa (Kenya) immediately following the end of WWI. The characters are well constructed the plot flows effortlessly. That little dwarf, though, is one easy to dislike...
Maggie
Nov 11, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it
Same great characters but definitely an R+ rating due to certain content(of which I could have done without). The story, however, was good, I always enjoy stories that take place in distant lands. Without all the heavy, and sometimes distasteful content, I would have rated this a 4.
Cody
Mar 23, 2009 Cody rated it really liked it
So far it's keeping my interest, although just barely.

UPDATED: The pace seemed to really pick up in the second half. The ending felt rushed, but overall I really enjoyed this book. I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Dennis
Nov 26, 2009 Dennis rated it really liked it
Somebody told me if I liked Wilbur Smiths' books, then I would like this. They were right. Great story. One of the best stories I've read in quite a while. It's the first of a trilogy which I look forward to reading now too. Good job Mr Bull, and Thank You!.
Denise
Aug 18, 2013 Denise rated it liked it
An old-fashioned, man's-man adventure novel, set in Africa after WWI during the land rush. Elephants, a dwarf, twin prostitutes, gold-panning, arm-wrestling, a spunky widow, a world-weary innkeeper - well, you get the picture.
Clare
Jul 01, 2008 Clare rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, adventure
This story, set in Africa, pulled me in. The mix of characters and their different personalities kept the plot interesting. Good tale, but not for the faint of heart.
Mary
May 08, 2010 Mary rated it liked it
finally read, wasn't as promising as 1st thought. Did like charaters but could have done so much more with the locations & time frame so large thought it could have been more moving & breathtaking.
Meg R
Meg R rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Rayne Steinberg
Rayne Steinberg rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2014
Terri Wino
Terri Wino rated it it was amazing
Apr 27, 2014
Judith Scott
Judith Scott rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2011
Tania
Tania rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2010
Bernadette
Bernadette rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
John Radford
John Radford rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2015
Jake
Jake rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Nikola
Nikola rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2014
Baxter
Baxter rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Jon
Jon rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Greg Z
Greg Z rated it liked it
Aug 05, 2016
John
John rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Goshawk Squadron
  • Shanghai (China Coast Trilogy #1)
  • A Call to Arms
  • Into the Land of Bones: Alexander the Great in Afghanistan
  • Shadow Dancer
  • The Complete Memoirs of George Sherston
  • Brazilian Adventure
  • A Sailor of Austria: In Which, Without Really Intending to, Otto Prohaska Becomes Official War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg Empire
  • Until the End (U.S. Civil War, #2)
  • The Marsh Arabs
  • Until the Sea Shall Give Up Her Dead
  • Conflict of Empires (Eskkar Saga, #3)
  • The Race for Timbuktu: In Search of Africa's City of Gold
  • The King's Commission (Alan Lewrie, #3)
  • Vulcan 607
  • Reach for the Sky
  • The Levant Trilogy
  • Trespassers on the Roof of the World: The Secret Exploration of Tibet (Kodansha Globe)

Anton Rider (3 books)