Start by marking “Coffee with Hemingway” as Want to Read:
Coffee with Hemingway

Coffee with Hemingway

“Go take a flying leap if you came here to flatter me.” It’s easy to imagine Hemingway at his desk, reacting with his fabled aggression when interrupted for advice—as he does here. Known for his globetrotting; passion for bullfighting, fishing, and hunting; fascination with war; and feuds with rivals like Gertrude Stein, he set the 20th-century template for the artist as a ...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Duncan Baird

To ask other readers questions about Coffee with Hemingway, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Coffee with Hemingway

Gary
Dec 30, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing
"Here's a secret for you-All the symbolism that people talk about is shit. I used to get letters from students, Dear Mr. Hemingstein, My English teacher says the sea in your book about it and that old man is really amniotic fluid.Could you confirm or deny?"

Now doesn't that sound like a quote from Old Papa himself??? Well..... maybe..... but........ drum roll please......... it's fictional, but sure sounds like the man, doesn't it? There's more juicy fun to be had. All you gotta do it read this b
Suad Shamma
May 01, 2016 Suad Shamma rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2016
So, unlike my experience with Michelangelo, my coffee date with Hemingway didn't go so well.

Can't blame the man specifically, although I suppose a lot of truth lays in the way the conversation was crafted, but more so the writer Kirk Curnutt, who really took Hemingway's attitude and impertinence to a whole other level. I understand that Hemingway was known for being a bad-tempered, blunt, sharp kind of individual. I'm also aware that a lot of research and knowledge needs to go into writing one o
Julie Failla Earhart
Apr 14, 2009 Julie Failla Earhart rated it really liked it
Rummaging around my favorite used bookstore, I stumbled on a copy of Coffee With Hemingway, from Duncan Baird Publishers’ Coffee With…Series. Papa was one of those people I would write about when high school teachers assigned an essay on the theme of “Who would I most like to have dinner with?”
Kirk Curnutt, author of Ernest Hemingway and the Expatriate Modernist Movement, was assigned to imagine he was conducting an interview over coffee with Papa. The little book became a “fictional dialogue ba
Kimberly
Apr 23, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-books-ever
This was an absolutely brilliant piece of work! I couldn't put this book down! It's a real page turner. I learned a lot about Hemingway, and also his insight towards being a writer. I loved the one-on-one question and answer theme that was incorporated into the book. Obviously, Mr. Curnett is an expert on Hemingway. I was very impressed with his knowledge. I had read a couple of Hemingway's novels a long time ago, such as, Death in the Afternoon, For Whom the Bell Tolls. However, this book has s ...more
Jakub
Aug 03, 2010 Jakub rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Have been meaning to read this one for a while now, and I wasn't disappointed.

It's a fun little book, full of caustic wit and quotes from the fictional Papa; brilliantly orchestrated by Curnutt. The author's expertise, when it comes to Hemingway, clearly shows in each paragraph, which will make this book thoroughly enjoyable for fans of both writers.
Parts of the "interview" are dedicated to Hem's life and relationships with certain individuals, while others concentrate more on his style of wri
Charlie
Apr 09, 2014 Charlie rated it liked it
Shelves: quick-reads
This was a parting gift from my A-Level tutor, which she gives to every student when they leave sixth form, and not something I would have ever bought myself.

It was an intriguing read, and offered an insight into a man who I had of course heard of, but ultimately knew very little about. Of course, everything contained within is fiction, with a 'strong basis in biographical fact' (so says the note to reader) but again, I know very little about Hemingway.

I thought it was an interesting little book
Bob Mustin
Dec 20, 2013 Bob Mustin rated it it was amazing
Ever dream about a little face time with one of your favorite celebrities? Streisand, perhaps? Sinatra? Elvis? Streep? Fitzgerald? Would such a meet-up edify, or would it disappoint?
I’ve never thought that I’d enjoy such an encounter with my favorite writer, but in Curnutt’s imaginative hands, the story reveals much of what Hemingway was about. To be sure, he’s abrasive here, and he’s constantly toying with words and names, as he holds court. What’s revealed here? I’ll list just a few bon mots:

Joan
Nov 03, 2014 Joan rated it it was ok
A bit of an ostentatious attitude pervades the book, and the author takes liberty by using
profanity to make as though Hemingway would've been totally engaged with the questions in the book.
But after reading several of Heminway's books, it was entertaining to read through from a view that
the author - the Author- would've been willing to respond about personal issues in a more
transparent way.
Landjonker
Mar 19, 2014 Landjonker rated it really liked it
A miracle of time travel, a very interesting and amusing book written as an interview with Hemingway based on authentic sources.
Thecritic
Jun 03, 2015 Thecritic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such great way to write a bio
Jon
Jun 04, 2010 Jon rated it really liked it
This is what you get if you ask an English professor who knows a lot about Hemingway to invent a conversation with the old man about writing, women, sport, fame and more personal stuff like his four wives, his writng style, and his love-hate relationships with Gertrude Stein, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Ezra Pound and other Gen Losters.

Because Curnutt is witty, judicious in his explorations, and very knowledgeable, this turns out to be great fun.

Andrea
Feb 08, 2008 Andrea rated it it was ok
I think what set me off was that the author sometimes seemed like a high schooler interviewing Hemingway. And sometimes there was too much assumed about what the author meant when he wrote. Otherwise, at times, there was amusing dialogue from Hemingway and great quotes that he actually said. And I did learn more perspective about his books and life.
Dana
Oct 22, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
These little books are GREAT! I want them all! I bought this book in London's Gatwick airport while on a layover and was nearly finished by time our plane was called. They are wonderful pocket-sized books, perfect for traveling.
Ace
Aug 28, 2013 Ace rated it liked it
I loved the foreword by John Updike and I enjoyed the "short" bio, but the fabricated Q & A between the author and Papa, though possibly clever in spots, didn't thrill me and got old fast.
Talbot Hook
Oct 08, 2013 Talbot Hook rated it it was ok
While I don't like the concept of trying to write as someone else, I learned some stuff, so I can't begrudge the book in that way. But, regardless, I'm not a fan of these things.
Matthew Foster
May 16, 2014 Matthew Foster rated it it was amazing
Great book. Concise and informative. Content is chunked in a way that allows the reader to be able to read small parts through out the day.
Wanda Hilaire
Papa Hemingway has always fascinated me. This intimate little "chat" was a lot of fun to read.
Steven
Jun 30, 2012 Steven rated it really liked it
Interesting conceit, and well-done!
Jack
Sep 05, 2013 Jack rated it liked it
"Lay off the adjectives."
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Dana Slavin
Dana Slavin marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2016
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Ashley Holstrom
Ashley Holstrom marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Lexi
Lexi marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Ashley Howd
Ashley Howd marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Joshua Lawson
Joshua Lawson rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Sigriet Ferrer
Sigriet Ferrer marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Valentina
Valentina rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
  • The Essential Hemingway
  • Lucky Man
  • Names Above Houses
  • How Philosophy Can Save Your Life: 10 Ideas That Matter Most
  • Stories Done: Writings on the 1960s and Its Discontents
  • The Insomniac Reader: Stories of the Night
  • Invisible Bride
  • The Age of Huts (compleat)
  • Big Lonesome
  • Crazy Water Pickled Lemons: Enchanting Dishes from the Middle East, Mediterranean and North Africa
  • Coat of Many Colors
  • Hélène Cixous, Rootprints: Memory and Life Writing
  • Pseudo-City
  • Collected Stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald: Flappers and Philosophers/Tales of the Jazz Age (Barnes & Noble Library of Essential Reading)
  • Behalt das Leben lieb
  • A Peculiar Feeling of Restlessness: Four Chapbooks of Short Short Fiction by Four Women
  • The Baby Merchant
  • The Virtues of the Table: How to Eat and Think
Kirk Curnutt is the author of twelve volumes of fiction and literary criticism. His first novel, Breathing Out the Ghost, won the 2008 Best Books of Indiana competition in the fiction category. It also won a bronze IPPY and was a Foreword Magazine Book of the Year finalist. His second novel, Dixie Noir, was published in November 2009. Other recent works include Key West Hemingway, co-edited with G ...more
More about Kirk Curnutt...