Start by marking “Believe: The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu” as Want to Read:
Believe: The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu

Believe: The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  95 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
BELIEVE: The Words and Inspiration of Desmond Tutu is part of the new Me We book series from Blue Mountain ArtsA(R). Inspired by the life and philosophy of one of the 20th centuryas most remarkable humanitarians, this book combines compelling photographs of Archbishop Tutu with quotations from his most inspiring speeches and writings to capture the true essence of his time ...more
Published May 1st 2007 by Blue Mountain Arts (first published April 2nd 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Believe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Believe

Kevyn
My goal for this quarter in school was to chose reading books which were more practical and more useful to me in terms of learning history and real life events. And this book, a book about a real life hero, is one example of these kinds of books. "Believe" is about the life and times of archbishop and South African civil rights activist Desmond Tutu. I enjoyed this book very much because it is both a biography of the man and an explanation of his more famous quotes. And it's also an explanation ...more
Leroy Seat
Oct 17, 2011 Leroy Seat rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-devotional
This is the fourth book in the "The Words and Inspiration of" series. The first three are "Dream," "Peace," and "Love," containing words of Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, and Mother Teresa. Archbishop Tutu was a good choice for this series, and this book by and about him is presented in a very attractive manner.

After a brief introductory message by Tutu, there is helpful, fourteen-page biographical essay about him. The rest of the book contains excepts from several of Tutu's sermons or
Carolyn Browne
Jan 23, 2016 Carolyn Browne rated it it was amazing
Believe inspires one to take action, at least in their hearts, to create a better world. Mr. Tutu makes any good thing seem possible.
Syrlane Albuquerque
Jan 28, 2014 Syrlane Albuquerque rated it really liked it
great selection of Tutu's story and quotes
Jeff
Dec 21, 2012 Jeff rated it it was amazing
If you believe....this book will challenge you to believe in the humanity that God has created to shape for the world....if you don't believe...his stories of crap that he endured will make you despondent but then you'll come to the stories that rose him above those and find hope once again! Such an incredible challenge, considering i never really knew much about desmond tutu except that he was loved the world over...... now i know why....
Kevin
Jan 10, 2014 Kevin rated it it was amazing
It is an excellent reminder of what we need to think about when dealing with other people. It also is very helpful that it utilizes Desmond Tutu's words and biography so succinctly.
Ann Keller
Jun 15, 2009 Ann Keller rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Wisdom is quiet, yet hopeful. It is seasoned, but ever new, analytical, loving, dignified and determined to believe the best for all of us. These are the words of Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Believe features so many wonderful excerpts from speeches and sermons meant to teach and inspire all within the sound of his voice. This little book packs a powerful punch.
Liz
Nov 19, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it
Recommended to Liz by: my father
Believe is a very quick read but it holds a lot of valuable pieces of wisdom. I felt as if Desmond Tutu was speaking to the issues of our world today, despite these quotes coming from decades before. I really identified with the quote, “To be neutral in a situation of injustice is to have chosen sides already. It is to support the status quo.”
Alanna Lewis
A must read for everyone. The importance of love, embracing our humanity and conquering our fear. His attitude is awe-inspiring and almost impossible to believe sometimes in the face of such violence and hate. It is one that is needed though because as is seen, it breaks down all barriers.
Theresa Powers
Sep 20, 2011 Theresa Powers rated it it was amazing
Heidi
A book of quotes, plus two short essays, one by Tutu, one on him. The white space around the quotes begs for decoration, to which temptation I may yet succumb.
John Worthington
Feb 07, 2012 John Worthington rated it it was ok
My brother gave me this book to read; I had a hard time reading it but found several quotes from Archbishop Tutu that were excellent.
Taylor
Dec 15, 2010 Taylor rated it really liked it
Part of the MeWe series published by Blue mountain Arts, it's a small collection of quotes and philosophy of Archbishop Tutu.
Yvonne
Apr 23, 2013 Yvonne rated it liked it
Wonderful book about Desmond Tutu and then many wonderful quotes attributed to him. Very uplifting.
Joe Rapisarda
Nov 25, 2011 Joe Rapisarda rated it it was amazing
A great read that is short and yet packed with an amazing story and lots of great wisdom quotes.
John
Apr 14, 2009 John rated it liked it
Concise biography and selected quotations. A thin but beautifully formatted introduction.
Jeanette
Sep 22, 2009 Jeanette rated it really liked it
Simple little book with quotes and stories about Desmond Tutu. Quite the human being.
TJ
Mar 21, 2009 TJ rated it liked it
Shelves: ministry
Cool collection of sayings by Tutu
Celeste
Mar 09, 2009 Celeste rated it liked it
beautiful quotes
Alvin
Jan 10, 2011 Alvin rated it really liked it
18-22
kevin
kevin marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Jaimie
Jaimie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Asia Herron
Asia Herron marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Kyle Kruszewski
Kyle Kruszewski marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Drake
Drake marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Laura Lechin
Laura Lechin marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2016
Ben Williams
Ben Williams marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Love: The Words and Inspiration of Mother Teresa
  • Peace: The Words and Inspiration of Mahatma Gandhi
  • Hope Unseen: The Story of the U.S. Army's First Blind Active-Duty Officer
  • Making Love Last Forever
  • Blueprint, The: A Plan for Living Above Life's Storms
  • Men, Women and the Mystery of Love: Practical Insights from John Paul II's Love and Responsibility
  • SuicideGirls: Beauty Redefined
  • Neü Sex
  • Awakening: A Daily Guide to Conscious Living
  • Habits of Happiness
  • Why Do We Say It?
  • The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious
  • How to Calculate Quickly: Full Course in Speed Arithmetic
  • Where God Happens: Discovering Christ in One Another and Other Lessons from the Desert Fathers
  • The Light We Share
  • The Power of Coincidence: How Life Shows Us What We Need to Know
  • Secrets Of The Red Lantern: Stories And Recipes From The Heart
  • Tempting Faith: An Inside Story of Political Seduction
Desmond Mpilo Tutu is a South African cleric and activist who rose to worldwide fame during the 1980s as an opponent of apartheid. In 1984, Tutu became the second South African to be awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. Tutu was the first black South African Anglican Archbishop of Cape Town, South Africa, and primate of the Church of the Province of Southern Africa (now the Anglican Church of Southern A ...more
More about Desmond Tutu...

“To be neutral in a situation of injustice is to have chosen sides already. It is to support the status quo.” 12 likes
“To forgive is not just to be altruistic.” 9 likes