Start by marking “Princess Tu Tu Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Princess Tu Tu Volume 1

Princess Tu Tu Volume 1

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Ahiru studies ballet and dreams of one day becoming a "prima ballerina." Ahiru also has another desire - a certain young boy named Mytho. When a mysterious woman gives Ahiru a magical pendent, a whole new and fantastic world opens before her, a place where Ahiru becomes the ever-so-graceful Princess Tutu! Ahiru learns that Mytho is really a prince whose heart has been stol ...more
Published January 18th 2005 by ADV Manga (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Tu Tu Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Tu Tu Volume 1

Sailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko TakeuchiCardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 by CLAMPCodename by Naoko TakeuchiPuella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01 by Magica QuartetShugo Chara!, Vol. 1 by Peach-Pit
Magical Girl Manga
11th out of 45 books — 70 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaWe Were There, Vol. 1 by Yuuki Obata5 Centimeters per Second by Makoto ShinkaiParadise Kiss, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaAbsolute Boyfriend, Vol. 01 by Yuu Watase
Most Depressing Manga
29th out of 145 books — 147 voters

More lists with this book...

Not as good as the anime. I thought that the illustrations weren't given as much justice as they should have....this is the once series in which I like the anime better. Also, the plot was really different and confusing....
Rain Misoa
Mar 27, 2013 Rain Misoa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Only to Princess Tutu fans that can handle change well.
Recommended to Rain by: Nicole Terazue... well, she recommended the anime.
Shelves: manga
This past weekend, my friend and I, having enough time to finally hang out together, decided to watch the anime Princess Tutu. She and her younger sister have been fans of this anime for the longest and couldn't wait for the time when I was able to finally see it. Well, I finally did... and, despite what you guys might think, it was a very VERY good anime. It's one of those anime that deceives you, coming off as very girly and cute. Normally, I don't do shows like that. I am just not the shoujo ...more
Theresa ♫
Jul 13, 2012 Theresa ♫ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for a ballet mahou shoujo.

Well, in this series, they are.
You know how for some weird reason, people make the anime different from the manga? (Like how the Percy Jackson movie and series were both completely different things!)

In the case where the manga/book is LOVED, people would USUALLY like the manga and the books better than the movies, right?
But in THIS CASE, with Princess Tutu, I actually like the anime better. AND IT'S NOT JUST BECAUSE I SAW THE ANIME FIRST!

i had seen the episode to this but the book goes into so much more detail. when you see the show and then read the book so much is missing so i guess i should start reading the book before i watch the show.
The anime is darling, and I highly recommend it. The manga, however, is a little lackluster.
Jody Mena
Jun 01, 2015 Jody Mena added it
Shelves: manga
This story is ultra cute, not very deep and kind of fluffy, which is not normally appealing to me, but it sort of grew on me as I read it. I thought that a magical girl ballerina that dances to defeat enemies was somewhat lame, but it works within the setting of the story, since the rules of Princess Tutu's world are clearly different. I like how a broken heart is represented by actual shards and fragments. Such heavy handed representations make me think that maybe the whole story is a metaphor, ...more
Reviewing both volumes here.

I saw the Princess Tutu anime a few years back, and completely loved it. The manga, however, is a very different thing. From what's in the manga, it looks like they were developed at the same time from a basic plot outline (a girl turns into Princess Tutu to help her mysterious schoolmate, Mytho, recover pieces of his heart) and allowed to develop entirely seperately.

So what's the difference? The storyline in the anime ended up being longer, more complex, and in tone
Despair Speaking
Princess Tutu is about Ahiru, a girl who aspires in becoming a prima ballerina. She has a crush on a boy named Mytho who also goes to her school. Ahiru wishes she could make Mytho smile since he seems to be always sad and distant. That's why, when she was given a chance to collect the shards of Mytho's heart which was broken, she accepted it. She can then become Princess Tutu, a magical dancing girl with the ability to father the shards and restore Mytho's heart. The only problem is that she mus ...more
It's cute, but it's no where near as good as the anime. It is entertaining, and a light, quick read, but just feels a little flat.
Mizu Shinonome did a great job with the illustrations and Ikuko Itoh's and Junpei Sato's character/story creations are definitely interesting enough, but the manga just doesn't feel like it quite lived up to its potential. I would recommend the anime instead.
Kim Swanson
It's a LOT different from the anime and not always in a good sense. But it IS interesting to look at and wonder how things could've been different! Not as dark as its anime counterpart.
I haven't been so disappointed by a manga since Gravitation. The art was decent enough but the story was so lack luster and made little sense. On this rare occasion, the anime was better.
Princess Tutu started as an anime. It did not translate very well to manga.

The storyline itself was changed, and honestly, I didn't like that "adjustment" for manga purposes. The story is about ballet and dancing, but because of the still-frames of the manga, it didn't translate well.

Suffice to say that while it has the magic of the characters, it does not have the magic of Princess Tutu. Go watch the anime. The manga's only so-so.
A young girl who wants to fulfill her dream into becoming a ballerina. As she comes across a dream, she finds herself dancing with a prince. Later she finds herself going to the same school with that boy who looked like a prince in her dreams. . . surely enough I haven't read the second volume of this manga. But I wishing and hoping to see it in the libraries or book stores.
Emmy Lou
Really cheesy with a standard magical girl plot. I've never seen the anime, so I can't compare the illustrations, but I found the art to be decent. (Is it just me, or does Mytho look like Oz from Pandora Hearts?)
Robin Conley
This was a really cute story. The art was well done and the story was a fun read. Nothing spectacular, but it has a good concept and is a fun story about how a ballet princess can be the hero.
I really like the themes of ballet/Swan Lake and the importance of the heart in this manga/television series. This first volume covered a lot of what happens in the television series.
It was ok I guess... Kind of a funny story. I watched one of the episodes from the cartoon once. Don't remember much about it though... xD Ah well.. It was a nice story though.
Es un manga muy tierno y dulce, me ha encantado el primer volumen, la manera en que combina los deseos personales con los deseos colectivos. A ver qué depara el segundo.
This book is for fantasy and anime lovers only. (Louise, I highly recommend this for you)
Allison Mudd
I love the story princess Tutu, I want to read the book again!!
Francisca Piantini
i prefer the anime is better and more clear.
Bianca Bouie
i like this book alot
Erika L.
Erika L. marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
All Animes: Princess Tutu 4 3 Dec 29, 2011 04:39PM
  • Chobits: Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Baron: The Cat Returns
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolesence of Utena
  • Strawberry Marshmallow, Volume 1 (v. 1)
  • My Neighbor Totoro 1
  • Romeo x Juliet Omnibus
  • Gothic Lolita: A Mystical Thriller
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 3
  • Antique Bakery, Vol. 1
  • Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1)
  • Hell Girl, Volume 1
  • The Wallflower, Vol. 20 (The Wallflower, #20)
  • Another [アナザー] 1st period
  • Kaine
  • Talviunta, 1. osa (Winter Dreaming, part 1)
  • Sgt. Frog, Vol. 5 (Sgt. Frog, #5)
  • The Voices of a Distant Star
Princess Tutu: Volume 2

“May those who follow their fate be granted happiness; may those who defy it be granted glory” 45 likes