Start by marking “Princess Tu Tu Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Princess Tu Tu Volume 1

Princess Tu Tu Volume 1

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  184 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Ahiru studies ballet and dreams of one day becoming a "prima ballerina." Ahiru also has another desire - a certain young boy named Mytho. When a mysterious woman gives Ahiru a magical pendent, a whole new and fantastic world opens before her, a place where Ahiru becomes the ever-so-graceful Princess Tutu! Ahiru learns that Mytho is really a prince whose heart has been stol ...more
Published January 18th 2005 by ADV Manga (first published November 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Tu Tu Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Tu Tu Volume 1

Sailor Moon, Vol. 01 by Naoko TakeuchiCardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 1 by CLAMPCodename by Naoko TakeuchiShugo Chara!, Vol. 1 by Peach-PitPuella Magi Madoka Magica, Vol. 01 by Magica Quartet
Magical Girl Manga
10th out of 37 books — 60 voters
We Were There, Vol. 1 by Yuuki ObataNana, Vol. 1 by Ai Yazawa5 Centimeters per Second by Makoto ShinkaiParadise Kiss, Volume 1 by Ai YazawaAbsolute Boyfriend, Vol. 01 by Yuu Watase
Most Depressing Manga
20th out of 122 books — 120 voters

More lists with this book...

Tiffany
Not as good as the anime. I thought that the illustrations weren't given as much justice as they should have....this is the once series in which I like the anime better. Also, the plot was really different and confusing....
Rain Misoa
Mar 27, 2013 Rain Misoa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Only to Princess Tutu fans that can handle change well.
Recommended to Rain by: Nicole Terazue... well, she recommended the anime.
Shelves: manga
This past weekend, my friend and I, having enough time to finally hang out together, decided to watch the anime Princess Tutu. She and her younger sister have been fans of this anime for the longest and couldn't wait for the time when I was able to finally see it. Well, I finally did... and, despite what you guys might think, it was a very VERY good anime. It's one of those anime that deceives you, coming off as very girly and cute. Normally, I don't do shows like that. I am just not the shoujo ...more
Theresa ♫
Jul 13, 2012 Theresa ♫ rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fellow humans in search for a ballet mahou shoujo.
THE ANIME AND THE MANGA ARE TWO VERY DIFFERENT THINGS!

Well, in this series, they are.
You know how for some weird reason, people make the anime different from the manga? (Like how the Percy Jackson movie and series were both completely different things!)

In the case where the manga/book is LOVED, people would USUALLY like the manga and the books better than the movies, right?
But in THIS CASE, with Princess Tutu, I actually like the anime better. AND IT'S NOT JUST BECAUSE I SAW THE ANIME FIRST!

You
Cheyenne
i had seen the episode to this but the book goes into so much more detail. when you see the show and then read the book so much is missing so i guess i should start reading the book before i watch the show.
lol
Kate
The anime is darling, and I highly recommend it. The manga, however, is a little lackluster.
Jody Mena
This story is ultra cute, not very deep and kind of fluffy, which is not normally appealing to me, but it sort of grew on me as I read it. I thought that a magical girl ballerina that dances to defeat enemies was somewhat lame, but it works within the setting of the story, since the rules of Princess Tutu's world are clearly different. I like how a broken heart is represented by actual shards and fragments. Such heavy handed representations make me think that maybe the whole story is a metaphor, ...more
Sesana
Reviewing both volumes here.

I saw the Princess Tutu anime a few years back, and completely loved it. The manga, however, is a very different thing. From what's in the manga, it looks like they were developed at the same time from a basic plot outline (a girl turns into Princess Tutu to help her mysterious schoolmate, Mytho, recover pieces of his heart) and allowed to develop entirely seperately.

So what's the difference? The storyline in the anime ended up being longer, more complex, and in tone
Despair Speaking
Princess Tutu is about Ahiru, a girl who aspires in becoming a prima ballerina. She has a crush on a boy named Mytho who also goes to her school. Ahiru wishes she could make Mytho smile since he seems to be always sad and distant. That's why, when she was given a chance to collect the shards of Mytho's heart which was broken, she accepted it. She can then become Princess Tutu, a magical dancing girl with the ability to father the shards and restore Mytho's heart. The only problem is that she mus ...more
Selena
Princess Tutu started as an anime. It did not translate very well to manga.

The storyline itself was changed, and honestly, I didn't like that "adjustment" for manga purposes. The story is about ballet and dancing, but because of the still-frames of the manga, it didn't translate well.

Suffice to say that while it has the magic of the characters, it does not have the magic of Princess Tutu. Go watch the anime. The manga's only so-so.
Ella
A young girl who wants to fulfill her dream into becoming a ballerina. As she comes across a dream, she finds herself dancing with a prince. Later she finds herself going to the same school with that boy who looked like a prince in her dreams. . . surely enough I haven't read the second volume of this manga. But I wishing and hoping to see it in the libraries or book stores.
Emmy Lou
Really cheesy with a standard magical girl plot. I've never seen the anime, so I can't compare the illustrations, but I found the art to be decent. (Is it just me, or does Mytho look like Oz from Pandora Hearts?)
Robin Conley
This was a really cute story. The art was well done and the story was a fun read. Nothing spectacular, but it has a good concept and is a fun story about how a ballet princess can be the hero.
Bridgett
I really like the themes of ballet/Swan Lake and the importance of the heart in this manga/television series. This first volume covered a lot of what happens in the television series.
Jocelyn
It was ok I guess... Kind of a funny story. I watched one of the episodes from the cartoon once. Don't remember much about it though... xD Ah well.. It was a nice story though.
Cataluna
Es un manga muy tierno y dulce, me ha encantado el primer volumen, la manera en que combina los deseos personales con los deseos colectivos. A ver qué depara el segundo.
Patricia
This book is for fantasy and anime lovers only. (Louise, I highly recommend this for you)
Allison Mudd
I love the story princess Tutu, I want to read the book again!!
Sakura Li
i prefer the anime is better and more clear.
Bianca Bouie
Ashley
Ashley added it
Nov 16, 2014
Melody
Melody marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Debolina Sen
Debolina Sen marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
All Animes: Princess Tutu 4 3 Dec 29, 2011 04:39PM
  • Cardcaptor Sakura, Vol. 6 (Cardcaptor Sakura, #6)
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena: The Adolesence of Utena
  • My Neighbor Totoro 1
  • Antique Bakery, Volume 1
  • Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1)
  • Romeo x Juliet Omnibus
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 3
  • Haunted Waters
  • ヨコハマ買い出し紀行 1 [Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou 1]
  • Another, Vol. 01
  • Sgt. Frog, Vol. 4 (Sgt. Frog, #4)
  • Ceres, Celestial Legend: Tennyo (Ceres, Celestial Legend #13)
Princess Tutu: Volume 2

“May those who follow their fate be granted happiness; may those who defy it be granted glory” 39 likes