Start by marking “Jim and Louella's Homemade Heart-fix Remedy” as Want to Read:
Jim and Louella's Homemade Heart-fix Remedy

Jim and Louella's Homemade Heart-fix Remedy

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  107 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A sizzling, smart, and utterly engaging novel about sex, love, folklore, and family history from the author of Redemption Song and The Haunting of Hip Hop.

With her characteristic sense of humor and a good dose of motherly wit, Bertice Berry spins the endearing tale of Jim and Louella Johnson, an elderly couple in a southern town who have settled into a marriage that has l
Published September 9th 2003 by Broadway Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Jim and Louella's Homemade Heart-fix Remedy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim and Louella's Homemade Heart-fix Remedy

Nikki Myers
Loved it! Not as much as my favorite book Redemption Song, but it was wisdom packed. A few of my favorite quotes are: Love is about what we can do for each other and what each other can do for the kingdom of God. Cheating ain't usually about how good someone else looks to you. It's about how bad you think you look to yourself. When you love you, you can see real love coming. When you go through it, you get the lesson you need.
Ann Marie
As with all of Bertice Berry's books, I took notes. This book was jam packed with wisdom. It is amazing how much truth is in this book, just be still......
Donna Bennett
Berry has written another thought provoking and entertaining novel. She takes a story about ordinary people and teaches us a lesson on love and the power of the heart. It has rich characters,such as the librarian, the heavy girl, the crossing guard and the bookstore owners (real people). The novel is written in a folksy style with folksy wisdom. I enjoyed the connection between Louella and the spirit of her mother, aunt and grandmother.

At points the story turned to sexually explicit scenes. But
Chezon
May 29, 2011 Chezon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: quick read
I enjoyed this book. I did not enjoy her tangents. She begins to start a topic and then branches off into a different subject and then from there branches off again and then maybe two or three times afterwards. By the time you get to the end of the chapter you forgot what her original point is. Now although that's how we normally talk, it it's very, very distracting in the book. I'm finding that often my mind is wandering and I end up closing the book and thinking -- which is a good thing -- but ...more
Kimjada
This book was extremely delightful! The truth in these words floored me! I LOVE this book!
Michelle
This book took me by surprise in a great way. As Jim and Louella work on reviving their sex life they find themselves with the ability to hear the inner thoughts and are able to help them heal. The story delves into the bigger issue of the state of black families in an interesting way as well. Some of the other-worldly concepts challenged me but it didn't keep me from enjoying the book as much is it caused me to question certain ideas. It also offered some laugh-out-loud moments.
Marvin
Basically an inspirational personal advice book disguised as a novel, written in extremely informal African American dialect that would be condemned as racist if written by a white author. Yet it was surprisingly enjoyable despite all that.
Suzette
My oh my oh my! Whoever said sex, love, and intimacy fizzles with age needs a taste of Jim & Louella!
Rachel
This book was great about love and faith. You will fall in love with the two main characters how they rediscover themselves and along the way help others. A quick easy read!!!
Susan
I think this is my favorite Bertice Berry book. An older couple take an earthy look at re-kindling their flame. Rich narrative, warm characters -- a great read.
Karin *
I know I tried to read this book, but I can't remember if I finished it. Clearly, it didn't make much of an impression. And I really wanted to like this book.
Deanie
I loved this story...especially because Jim and Louella were seasoned lovers. Most novels indicate that only twenty-somethings can have it going on. LOL!
Darnelle Street
I don't know any man or woman who is too young or too old to feel good, and this novel will make you smile and feel good on almost every page.
Marie
Older black couple revitalizes their love live with advice of their ancestors, then discover they have special curative powers to fix broken hearts.
Memphis
Loved it. Very sweet story.
Ruth Ferguson
Ruth Ferguson marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Shay
Shay added it
Feb 05, 2015
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Benita
Benita added it
Sep 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Redemption Song When Love Calls, You Better Answer The Haunting of Hip Hop: A Novel The Ties That Bind: A Memoir of Race, Memory, and Redemption I'm On My Way But Your Foot Is On My Head: A Black Woman's Story of Getting Over Life's Hurdles

“I learned long ago that when change comes, you gotta slow down and take note of it. In the midst of that change is all the possibility in the world.” 15 likes