Start by marking “Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1

Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1 (きみはペット / Kimi wa Pet / Tramps Like Us #1)

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  4,268 Ratings  ·  85 Reviews
Life was good for Sumire Iwaya ... until the day she discovers her boyfriend is cheating on her, she gets demoted at work, and her life spirals into the dumps. Things take a turn for the better when she crosses paths with Momo, a homeless guy with a colorful past who puts a bounce in her step and a shake in her hips. It takes two to tango, but when Sumire's first love reap ...more
Comic, 184 pages
Published August 10th 2004 by TokyoPop (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tramps Like Us, Vol. 1

Ari
Mar 31, 2011 Ari rated it it was amazing
The first volume of my first じょうせい (jōsei) series! What an introduction to the genre!!! The story of a strong working woman who still struggles with insecurities has a bit of resonance for my own life too! Though i've only briefly worked in an environement like the one Sumire works in, I could understand her frustration and struggles on a pretty basic level and it was terribly funny to watch how she deals with them!

If you've yet to do so, I recommend the live-action drama きみ は ペット (Kimi wa Petto
Brenna Brumfield
Dec 17, 2011 Brenna Brumfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, manga
This series is my most beloved of all manga series- maybe my most beloved of all fiction series. I have reread it time and time again. The basic premise is the main character comes home to find a young man in a box at her doorstep. She takes him in and feeds him until he is up on his feet- but rather then send him on his way she jokingly gives him the option to stay- as her human pet. The last thing she expected was him to agree, and it all went from there. This a quirky love story that is fill ...more
Anne Freya
Tramps Like Us/Kimi wa Pet/You're My Pet. Akhirnya kubaca juga josei jadul yg populer bgt ini. Kutunda-tunda bacanya karena ga gitu selera liat artwork di cover-nya. Tapi akhirnya aku coba baca karena banyak yg bilang bagus, apalagi komik ini menang award, dan sudah diadaptasi ke drama Jepang dan film Korea, so pastinya bagus kan? Dan ternyata memang BAGUS dan LUCU. *tengah malam terkikik-kikik krn berusaha menahan ledakan tawa*

Aku suka dengan komedi romantis seperti ini, kalo lagi ga pengen ba
Andy
My illness itself is light and gets better with medicine right away, but fighting with the fear that I might hurt someone I cared for was hell.

...I was drifting aimlessly, I realized...that there are a lot of people who're weakened because of worries or stress or just because life dealt them a bad. When I could help someone like that, the fear went away. Those kind of relationships were like medicine to me. That's why I planned on leaving here as soon as you didn't need me anymore.

But the truth
Monique
May 02, 2015 Monique rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
It only goes to show that when a woman pursues her career, she can't pursue marriage

Sumire is a hardworking, attractive, capable woman who must live with sexist societal expectations on all fronts. Her boyfriend dumps her because she is 'too intelligent' and women at work treat her badly because she's 'too talented' so she 'deserves what she gets'.

Ogawa does a wonderful job addressing everyday sexism in the workplace to juxtapose Sumire's warm and accepting home life with the strange young man
K.N.
Aug 05, 2014 K.N. rated it it was amazing
This series. This effing series. I loved this series so much and it ruined all traditional, straight-forward, boring romances for me for the rest of my life.

This was the first manga I read that I thought, "This is a real story. This is something special. This transcends the flaws of this medium and makes something unique and beautiful."

Okay, so it's cute and funny and the story-line sounds a little wacky, which it is, but I promise you that it's a fantastic story. The growth that the protagonist
Deb
Apr 14, 2008 Deb rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Em & Betsy
Shelves: manga, shojo-josei
About a 27-year-old office lady who has it all together on the surface but is falling apart underneath. One night she kicks a cardboard box in front of her condo and finds a teenage boy sleeping in it; she takes him home and cleans him up, only to find that he's quite content to stay put--and she's not quite heartless enough to kick him out. She ends up letting him stay...as a pet! A few people find out, but she lets her boyfriend think she owns a dog. Oh what a tangled web these mortals weave.. ...more
KimberlyRose
May 19, 2013 KimberlyRose rated it it was amazing
Review and rating for entire series (14 volumes)

A rare josei gem! I enjoyed every chapter of this amazingly well-spun tale. It is real, heart-warming, and unique! Older woman meets younger man. Both have much to learn from each other. Even the secondary characters are developed with care and detail, with complete personalities, motivations, desires, etc.

The psychology is wonderfully insightful and each character's development alone and together is like a beautifully flowering blossom. (And don'
Lee
Aug 22, 2010 Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
oh no! I can relate with this better than the lovey dovey teeny story Kimi no Todoke!
oh no! I already can relate to josei manga!!
soon enough I'm gonna have wrinkles !!
argh! aargh!!

anyway, pass my adult-phobia aside for a while.

*ahem*

at first I interested to this just because the artwork. Simple with strong strokes. It turns out the story is good as well. The insecurity of Sumire that becomes the base of the plot is well developed. This manga also touch the social issue about Japanese women statu
Ebony Rene McMurray
May 22, 2011 Ebony Rene McMurray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
At the risk of sounding like a teenager (I am not) I love this Manga series. It deserves every star.Five stars all the way. I have read this series again and again finding new enjoyment every time. What I really love about is manga is that the plot is unrealistic but Ogawa makes it seem so real and doable not cheesy, weak, sleazy, and childish. I would recommend this manga to all women in there 20s who put on a strong front but feel weak inside(just about us all right?).
Seregil
Dec 14, 2014 Seregil rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite manga. I reread it every once it a while :) The characters are amazing and I love how they interact and make each other grow. It's also just the right combination of comedy, slice of life and romance with a touch of feminism.
If you like it check out the jdrama too.
Elly
Sep 29, 2014 Elly rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-manga
I love the characters and the story. Now I have to hunt down the rest of the mangas.
tess75
Dec 29, 2016 tess75 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le scénario est vraiment tordu mais j’aime bien les personnages, surtout Momo qui cache plus de choses qu’il n’y paraît au premier abord.
Sofia
Mar 01, 2017 Sofia rated it liked it
2,5
Buttons
Aug 17, 2015 Buttons rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who are okay with the slow pace
Don't we all want to be needed by someone, loved without being juged and not having to live up to the expectations of the people around us? That's the basis of their relationship. They need each other.
This is a wonderful story, I would recommend this manga to a mature female audience (definitely jousei, not shoujo). I don't know if I will read it again, because it is really long story - 82 relatively slow chapters telling you about her daily struggles over a three year period. But I wouldn't wa
Farhin
Oct 28, 2013 Farhin rated it really liked it
Edit:
Definition of "Josei":
"Ladies comics". Targeted at women ages 18 to 30. The male equivalent to josei is seinen. Most of the time, the stories tend to be about everyday experiences of women living in Japan - style tends to be a more restrained, realistic version of shoujo manga."

A great introduction to a new genre; at least for me. 'Josei' is what it's called I believe.
While the art wasn't exactly beautiful or what I'm used to - the plot made up for it.
The storyline was definitely a first
Kari
Aug 25, 2016 Kari rated it it was amazing
Review for the entire series:
Five Stars! The rare gem of a series that stays consistently excellent, never disappointing. After having read the original run I decided to read it again, and found it just as charming. Sumire is a strong, intelligent, successful woman in her late 20's. Finding herself unlucky in love, again, she impulsively "adopts" 19 year old Takeshi, an up and coming dancer in the modern ballet, as her "pet" Momo. While the premise may seem a bit ridiculous, it is truly an hones
Selena
I thoroughly enjoyed this one, but for the life of me I can't pinpoint why.

I had heard about this one at a "Feminist Look on Anime" panel as a manga that no one could make up their minds on. Not whether the main character was a strong female character or not--there's no question of Sumire's strength--but more of a debate about whether or not it was making it look negative by "emasculating the male character" Momo/Takeshi, and even whether or not it was doing that.

I'm not getting into the philoso
Rhapsody
Mar 26, 2007 Rhapsody rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women manga readers
Shelves: manga, manga-jousei
One of the best manga series out there (manga = Japanese graphic novels). Incredibly funny and original with beautiful art and lots of tempestuous romance. It is a jousei, which means that its intended audience is adult women (opposed to shoujo, which is for girls). Sumire, the protagonist, is a beautiful, successful, independent career woman who is beginning to bend beneath societal pressures. She comes home one night and finds a beautiful young man sleeping in a box near her apartment. She let ...more
Nitzan Schwarz
Kimi Wa Petto is one of my favorite manga ever. I have read this series twice already, and I am in the middle of the the third read through right now.

In a way, it's a modern classic, immortalized in the drama halls by a series of the same name based on this manga.

When someone asks me to recommend a manga to them, I definable bring up this series, because it's so fun and sweet and quirky and funny. It's basically everything, and the icing on the cake is a fantastic relationship and otp to ship an
Dana
Oct 01, 2008 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-manga
This is my all-time favorite manga. The characters are so understandable, deeply thought out, relateable and flawed. Ogawa is brilliant at showing their humanness. In the art one will notice their slight habits: the way Sumire always looks worried when she wakes up or how she pushes her eyebrows together when she reads. One will start to memorize her closet and notice when she pairs things with different things creating a new outfit. You notice their body language and level of confidence they ex ...more
brightredglow
Dec 03, 2016 brightredglow rated it really liked it
It has been years since I read "Kimi wa Petto" but a chance glance at a user book store and I bought the first volume of Tokyo Pop's English version renamed "Tramps Like Us" and I'm hooked again.

I'd forgotten how cynical and biting this first volume was. I remembered the Sumire of the last volumes so this was a great hook for me to get back into the series so I can follow her healing process and changes that she will undergo over the course of the series. Although Takeshi/Momo will be important
Grace
Jan 06, 2015 Grace rated it it was amazing
I just finished the series, and I'm feeling quite giddy about it still. This was such a nice story! There were a lot of funny moments, but it did not distract from how deep the characters are and how serious some situations were. There was also an air of mysticism, with the side stories of mermaids and ghostly past acquaintances, the so called "en" between people, and the time traveling in the ending.

The series had slow moments that dragged, but overall it was a very interesting but grounded sto
Sarah Marie
Tramps Like Us by Yayoi Ogawa

3 stars

Sumire Iwaya life is a mess, but then she stumbles upon Momo. Momo becomes Sumire pet and it quickly becomes a bumpy ride. I'm so disappointed by this one. I had been wanting to read the manga for years and when I finally had the chance, I was greatly let down. The storyline seemed to be all over the place and I wasn't all that invested in the characters. Momo was adorable, but his adorableness quickly turned into foolishness. I also didn't really like Sumire.

May 08, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Okay, so like many people, I was skeptical about this series after seeing the cover and reading the synopsis. My first impression was that it looked silly at best, and stupid and offensive at worst. However, I ended up really enjoying the series, which is an interesting, comedic account of a successful career woman. Tramps Like Us explores what it's like for a woman who chose to put her career first, and who developed the the reputation of "aggressive" necessary to be successful, as well as figu ...more
Peter Tupper
Jun 18, 2011 Peter Tupper rated it it was amazing
An inversion of the usual love story: the woman, Sumire, is older, serious and professional, while the man, "Momo", is younger, carefree and artistic. From that premise emerges a complex story of human relationships. Both Sumire and Momo have hidden sides.

For most of the series, Sumire fixates on her boyfriend Hasumi, but she's a nervous wreck around him, obsessing about her appearance and hiding her feelings. Whereas with Momo, her live-in male human pet, she's completely relaxed and open.
Yue
Better than I thought. It is dramatic but has it sweet moments as well. The story develops too quickly for me. Like, Sumire meets Momo, he starts living with her and they love each other all in the same day. I like, sympathize and somewhat relate to Sumire.

The art is not good. To think I used to dislike older woman/younger man or taller woman/smaller guy relationship before; I don't mind that anymore, and I think is actually sweeter (Gokusen, Love.com).
Carissa
Apr 03, 2015 Carissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This is my first josei, but so far I really like it. The main characters are all interesting. I especially like the main character, Sumire, who is a very work-oriented, smart, beautiful and very very flawed character. The romance is cute, and far from creepy (like one might think of a relationship between any adult and teen/20yrold). I'm surprised at how much I root for Momo and Sumire, but I suppose I root flr whatever Sumire wants in general. 4/5 stars
SaturNalia
Nov 11, 2012 SaturNalia rated it really liked it
Watched the j-drama first then read the manga. The tv drama follows pretty close to the original. Very sweet story about two people trying to find happiness in an unusual relationship. Momo seems happy and carefree. Sumire is uptight and abrupt. Two polar opposites that end up helping each other.
Ninja Neko
Oct 10, 2011 Ninja Neko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
I thought this was going to be too far out there for me, but as it turns out I have a lot more in common with Sumire than I expected, and can relate to her on many levels. Instead of going slapstick with this setup the mutual "pet/owner" relationship is explored much deeper. It made me think about my own life and situation a lot. Well done, Yayoi Ogawa, I'm looking forward to reading more.
  • ごくせん 1 (Gokusen #1)
  • Hot Gimmick, Vol. 9
  • Mars, Volume 03
  • Nodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 (Nodame Cantabile, #1)
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 2 (Paradise Kiss, #2)
  • Cat Street, Vol. 1 (Cat Street #1)

Associated names : 小川弥生

Name (in native language) : 小川彌生

Birth date : December 1

Zodiac : Sagittarius
More about Yayoi Ogawa...

きみはペット / Kimi wa Pet / Tramps Like Us (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Tramps Like Us, Vol. 2