Start by marking “Seduction of the Minotaur” as Want to Read:
Seduction of the Minotaur

Seduction of the Minotaur (Cities of the Interior #5)

“Some voyages have their inception in the blueprint of a dream, some in the urgency of contradicting a dream. Lillian’s recurrent dream of a ship that could not reach the water, that sailed laboriously, pushed by her with great effort, through city streets, had determined her course toward the sea, as if she would give this ship, once and for all, its proper sea bed…. With ...more
Published January 1st 1961 by Swallow Press

To ask other readers questions about Seduction of the Minotaur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seduction of the Minotaur

miss G
Aug 27, 2009 miss G rated it liked it
This was one of those books that I found myself identifying with the writer and largely relating to the book as a craft rather than getting pulled into the imagery and losing myself in the story. While miss Nin definitely has the gift of language and the ability to move you with her words and immerse you in the world she creates, this is much more evident in her diaries for me than in this story. This book felt forced. It seemed that she was trying so hard to make the psychological points that t ...more
Aug 26, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gender, mental-health
Sometimes I'm so typical of myself I could die. From the afterword on this book: "Nin's work has recently gained a careful, a concernful audience among the young. She has virtually become the Princess of the young, much as Cocteau at another time and for different reasons was the Prince of the young, and indeed in many ways still is. That audience comprising those who read Hesse, consult the I Ching, search for meaning and truth (to use the old-fashioned words), those who are listening to Indian ...more
Feb 24, 2013 rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I haven't finished it yet , in fact I'd say I'm struggling.

I want to like it, but there's just something manufactured about it that leaves me a little cold despite the luxurious surroundings of Golconda. I don't much like the protagonist Lillian and yet I feel a little guilty since I loved the vignettes contained within 'Little Birds'. I'll keep trying , but other things beckon....
Feb 13, 2008 D.J. rated it it was ok
Many people have told me to read Anais Nin. I don't have to any more.
Meghan Fidler
Apr 02, 2012 Meghan Fidler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: epicurean
Nin has a way of capturing people through their relationships, making them fluid, as we all are, in their travels with one another. This is a narrative quality I have always found brilliant, and it allows the characters in the work to become recognizable, almost as if they were written from one's own memories and encounters.

"An airline’s beauty queen arrived at the beach. She walked and carried herself as if she knew she were on display and should hold herself as still as possible, arranged for
James F
Feb 04, 2015 James F rated it really liked it
The fifth and final book of Cities of the Interior, this novel returns to the character of Lilian, on a concert engagement in Mexico. None of the other characters from the series appear except in Lilian's memories. The book has more description of scenery than I would like, which made it hard to get into at the beginning, but otherwise it is as well written as the earlier books. There is really no conclusion to the series, although Lilian does make some discoveries about herself.
Feb 16, 2014 Rowena rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seduction of a Minotaur has some beautiful insights set sporadically throughout the text, though I found the book as a whole quite labourious. I am much more a fan of Nin's diary writing and short erotic stories than this.

I had to push myself to complete this book, though in it's defence it may have been a much better read in context to the other books in the series...
Aug 23, 2016 Joel rated it it was amazing
I found the power of this book enticing, from the prolific Anais Nin. I am no scholar when it comes to literary analysis. I look for character analysis, dense background and beautiful prose I can trust (rather than feel as though I am editing). This book had these three.
Dec 21, 2009 Amy rated it liked it
I hadn't read any other Anais Nin, and had only briefly heard of her as "bohemian" so when I found this in someone's bathroom I was intrigued. I don't know. In the afterward of my copy, Wayne McEvilly (real name) says, "to read the novel Seduction of the Minotaur without somehow encountering one's own shadowy self at the center of one's own labyrinth is not to have read the book." By that standard, I guess I did not read it. I don't think it's necessarily my fault, though. Mr. McEvilly also says ...more
Plamen Miltenoff
Apr 13, 2015 Plamen Miltenoff marked it as to-read
“Perhaps,” said the Doctor pensively. “It may also be that you Americans are work-cultists, and work is the structure that holds you up, not the joy of pure living.”
Nov 16, 2010 Stacey rated it it was ok
At first I felt like I was reading beautiful poetry, sensing Lillian's world all around me. But after awhile I felt like I was trying to watch a movie while underwater, the sound was muffled and the vision blurry. Everything was written in metaphors! Not one sentence was without any fluff, given straight up.

I got through half the book when I realized that I couldn't care less about what happens to Lillian so I gave up, despite the book being only about 100 pages long. It took her 50 pages to wri
Jan 16, 2011 Juju rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lyrical medication on traveling to a new place to lose yourself. Here Anais Nin is evoking an exotic interior landscape where her protagonist searches for the forgetfulness of adventure. The Minotaur of the title likely relates to the unconscious keeper of our personal labyrinths, where we often recreate the same behavioral maze with new people wherever we go. The last section of the book recalls the milieu of Henry & June and Anais's relationship with both Henry Miller and his wife, June. ...more
Edyta Niewińska
Mar 09, 2016 Edyta Niewińska rated it it was amazing
Great book! Lot's of inspiration for me as a writer, interesting story, well written. Definately one to add to my top list.
Oct 22, 2014 Rick rated it it was ok
I was not taken Nin by this final volume,
having not read the first four.
Aug 31, 2015 Adam added it
Such tasty prose. So very, very tasty
Jul 29, 2010 Cintamani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My memory fails far too often to be of my age. It was only a few years ago when I loaned this out from the library, and I do believe I actually read it. I always have these vivid flashbacks of Nin's Mexico with all these eccentric characters and this crazy jazz bar. Therefore I am going to give it a rating solely for its remarkable staying power and visual imprint.

Anais, you make me want to want Mexico. And you make me want to want everything else.
Jun 09, 2010 Nathan rated it it was amazing
This was my first Anais Nin book, and it couldn't have been lent to me at a better time. Her ability to convey sense: touch, smell, color and warmth, is uncanny. Reading this I could feel Golconda, the smell of it, the heat of the sun, the sweat of the dancers. My first fiction book in years and definitely due!
May 10, 2009 FrumpBurger rated it liked it
A little heavy-handed at times, in the way Nin often is, but a whole lot better than A Spy in the House of Love and certainly not as good as Ladders to Fire. The final installment of her 5-book "continuous novel." Perhaps I should have read them in order, but oh well. C'est la vie.
Nov 12, 2008 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Oh Anais Nin. These are not things to get worked up over. I cannot relate to you at all. Yet, I implore you to continue. I find the me who finds your overworked sensitivities amusing funny. A delightful meta reading escapade.
May 05, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it
This book languaged me to death. She's got the command. I truly appreciate it for its delusional femininity. If you can't give your woman what she wants, she's gonna find it somewhere else, literally or metaphorically.
Mar 07, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
From this book I learned that strange, deep things occur in Mexico. Anais Nin is freaking awesome - in this book at least. I haven't had the pleasure of reading any others yet.
Jesse Broussard
Jul 07, 2010 Jesse Broussard rated it liked it
I'm sure it was better than I give it credit for, but it was such an unusual style of prose that it seemed to detract from the story. And I saw the "twist" coming.
Jun 18, 2011 Hedry rated it did not like it
Shelves: awful-books
A wonderful book for people who love to hear themselves talk. Disjointed and emotionally immature.
Beverly J.
May 01, 2012 Beverly J. rated it it was ok
Shelves: gave-up-on
I may try to come back to this at some point. It had some great lines but all in all pretty mundane.
Phil  Roché
Oct 16, 2014 Phil Roché rated it it was amazing
Just re-read this for the first time in many years. A transcendent exploration of the inner self.
Sarah Coe
Sep 03, 2007 Sarah Coe rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the flossy flossy
Shelves: sexysexy
I love every word this woman pens... that I've read, so far. a few more to go. ;)
Mar 14, 2013 Elia rated it it was ok
Too segmented for my taste
Aug 18, 2016 Shelley rated it really liked it
Elisenda marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2016
Ella Rissle
Ella Rissle marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
  • Blue Eyes, Black Hair
  • Anaïs Nin: A Biography
  • The She-Devils
  • Blue Movie
  • La Bâtarde
  • The Sea of Light
  • My Blue Notebooks PA: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
  • Picturing Will
  • House Rules
  • New York Stories
  • Erotica Universalis: From Pompeii to Picasso
  • Kiki's Memoirs
French-born novelist, passionate eroticist and short story writer, who gained international fame with her journals. Spanning the years from 1931 to 1974, they give an account of one woman's voyage of self-discovery. "It's all right for a woman to be, above all, human. I am a woman first of all." (from The Diary of Anaïs Nin, vol. I, 1966)

Anaïs Nin was largely ignored until the 1960s. Today she is
More about Anaïs Nin...

Cities of the Interior (5 books)
  • Ladders to Fire
  • Children of the Albatross (Cities of the Interior #2)
  • The Four-Chambered Heart: V3 in Nin's Continuous Novel
  • A Spy in the House of Love (Cities of the Interior #4)

“A long time ago," said Michael, "I decided never to fall in love again. I have made of desire an anonymous activity." "But not to feel...not to like dying within life, Michael.” 4 likes
“You had to account for every move, arrival or exit. In the world there was a conspiracy against improvisation. It was only permitted in jazz.” 4 likes