The Express: The Ernie Davis Story

The Express: The Ernie Davis Story

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  33 reviews
“He could do it all, beat every opponent . . . except one.”
–plaque honoring Ernie Davis, in the lobby of Elmira Free Academy

Ernie Davis was an All-American on the gridiron, and a man of integrity off the field. A multi-sport high school star in Elmira, New York, Davis went on to Syracuse University, where as a sophomore he led his team to an undefeated season and a nationa...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Ballantine Books (first published 1983)

Braydon Ibis
May 09, 2014 Braydon Ibis is currently reading it
I got this book from Mrs.Peters during the book talk.

The setting is kind of present time. It is a Guy who goes out to find out about Ernie Davis story by interviewing people and the people he interviews will give brief flashbacks.

Conflict is that Ernie Davis is a colored man in the mid 1900s when people were very racist and Ernie powered through all the racial comments.

Ernie is Static.
Nice
Smart
Athletic
He stays nice throughout the whole book and is always looking to help people.
“Of course, every...more
Skyler Mason
Ernie Davis is a very courageous and inspiring man. Growing up he was poor and lived with several different family members. He played baseball, basketball ,and football as a child. He excelled at basketball and football and went on to be a star on the Syracuse football team, leading them to a national championship while also receiving the heisman memorial trophy. The fame didn't go to his head though, he was a hardworking, humble, and funny guy who never bragged about his achievements. Ernie had...more
Thomasjensen
How did you pick this book?
I had heard about the book and I wanted to read about it but never got to it. But then Mrs peters brought it in and told it to us and i wanted it so I checked it out.

The setting of the book?
The setting takes place between 1939 and 1963 in Pennsylvania, New york and Ohio. Pennsylvania because he was born there and spent his childhood there. New york because he was drafted in the city there, and Ohio because he died there.

The conflict of the book?
The conflict of the book...more
joe Sudbeck
I Chose to read, The express the story of Ernie Davis, as my biography when the librarian came into class to recommend books for us.
The title “Express” was his nickname he earned being known as a hard tough runner.
The author wrote this book to inform the world of Ernies great but short life that was tragically cut short.
People that would read this book would be sports lovers that would like to know more and like to hear about the possibilities of what could have happened in his life after hi...more
Carlton
The Express: The Ernie Davis Story by Robert C. Gallagher is an extremely inspiring and motivating book. Robert Gallagher did an amazing job illustrating Ernie Davis' life story. He left his legacy behind as he was the first African American to win the Heisman trophy, the most glorified award in college football. He attended Elmira high school where he excelled and was an All-American football player. When he began his career at the Syracuse University, he had to fill the shoes of Jim Brown, one...more
Julie
Sep 28, 2008 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Elmira residents, college football fans
Ernie Davis is a local hero. After a stellar football/basketball career in high school in Elmira, and at Syracuse University, Davis was signed by the Cleveland Browns but died of leukemia before getting to play a single pro game.

Everyone around here has heard the name many, many times, but I hadn't bothered to delve any deeper until now. This biography has been made into a movie called "The Express" (after Davis's nickname, The Elmira Express) and so they've re-released the book. I borrowed it f...more
Zach Rose
i picked the Express the Ernie Davis story when our school libraren showed it to us. The authur did an amazing job illustrating Ernie Davis' life story.Ernie davis was the first African American to win the Heisman trophy, the most glorified award in college football. He attended Elmira high school where he excelled and was an All-American football player. When he began his career at the Syracuse University, he had to fill the shoes of Jim Brown, one of the best football players to ever play. Ern...more
Kual Kual
Jnuzzyjyahoo.com
A True Inspiration:

Ernie Davis’s career at Syracuse University started off with big expectations. He had the big shoes to fill of football legend, Jim Brown. Throughout Ernie's years at "Cuse", he proved himself as one of the country's elite running backs, becoming the first African American to win the Heisman trophy. In 1962, following in the steps of his Role model, Jim Brown, he signed a contract with the Cleveland Browns. That year, he met his first opponent that he could not defeat; Leukemi...more
Steven Pittman
Oct 21, 2011 Steven Pittman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like sports
The Express The Erine Davis Story By Robert C. Gallagher is almost a ture classic that everyone should read. Erine Davis was a man who inspired all he touched and showed everyone that you can do anything you want if you try hard enough. Gallagher uses insiperation and amazement to get thought to the aduenice. There are many stories of Erine prevailing though things such as speech disorder and unfair treatment because of his race (black)and much more. Erine had many challenges in his life on his...more
Ck
This was an informative book to read. Before reading this book I did not know who Ernie Davis was. So I have to give the author credit for writing this book. The book must have been hard to write due to the lack of supporting facts of Ernie Davis'childhood. Most of the stories were from his close friends and relatives. This would be a book I would give my son or little brother one day and have them read it and then we would discuss the importance of who Ernie Davis was. I would reccommend this b...more
Nathan
Ernie Davis is a deceased, former Running Back at Syracuse University. He was from Elmira, New York. He led his team to a National Championship. He was also the first Black American to win the Heisman trophy. Ernie Davis was diagnosed with leukemia, and less than a year later he lost his battle. This is a very touching story about a much hated Athlete who followed his dreams.

This is a great book that I think everyone should read. It really makes you think, and in some ways makes you a better pe...more
FAR
Its all about this boy named Erni Davis.He was a boy that had a ruff life.Cause of his skin color.But then his mother let play some football.And he was amazing at he played runner back.He was very good he was fast and stroug. Some people wanted him to join callage football teams.When he was in high school.One man wanted him ton join the team. Then Erni said yes.But some people were not very nice to him.They went against the long horns when erni played and got down on the and when he was already...more
Kate Stone
So I started this book and gave it up rather quickly. The Ernie Davis story is amazing and inspiring, but the way in which this book is written is too boring to hold my attention when I have so many other books waiting for me. Sorry.

That said, I do wish more athletes today would realize that their popularity really makes them noticed by society, and I wish they would use that in a positive way, encouraging youth today to be more civil, more gracious, more intelligent in what they do.
Daniella
Amazing story. Every college and pro football player should follow Ernie's example of good sportsmanship. This is a wonderful story and all too sad that Ernie's life had such and untimely end.

The actual writing leaves something to be desired, but I didn't take that into consideration for my rating. The story is well worth it. If you read this book make sure you get the updated version. It has a lot of comparisons between today's NFL and the NFL of 1962.

Renee
Nov 20, 2008 Renee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
This book is far from well-written, but it's a quick, easy read and the story is amazing.

Ernie Davis was raised in my hometown, and is a hero there. I was pleasantly surprised to read this book and find out that Elmira, NY, as a community is a far better place than I ever believed.

It's a horrible shame that Davis died so young. I believe, with his intelligence, character and drive, that he would have accomplished great things had he lived.
Austin Gray
I liked this booked because it was very entertaining. It told a story of a great person, changing the way people treated each other. Also the thrilling of how much Ernie influenced everybody around him to do the right thing. This made him very popular among his peers. This is a book only for someone that love a thriller. To see the impossible done. This would be my favorite book that I've read.
David Bales
Poignant and sad retelling of the Ernie Davis story, the first African-American to be awarded the Heisman Trophy as the nation's best college football player but never fulfilled his dream of playing professionally because he was stricken with leukemia. A star at Syracuse University, Davis was the all-around good guy and this book of memories dwells not on what might have been but what was.
Douglas
I learned a lot about Ernie Davis, but despite the proper citations and details about his life, the author didn't rouse any real heartfelt emotion out of me about Ernie Davis. In that sense, he did not do Ernie Davis good.

Its a great story about an athlete years ahead of his time in athletic prowess, social understanding, and overall maturity. Sad that his life ended so soon.
Michael
Great story about an inspiring man. It was just..... so..... dry.
Cheryl
The inspiring story of Ernie Davis, the Syracuse University football player and scholar who overcame insurmountable odds and was the first African American to win the Heisman Trophy. President Kennedy was a fan of Davis and called to congratulate him on winning the trophy.
Scottsdale Public Library
Bet you didn't know that Ernie Davis was the first African-American Heisman trophy winner did you? He once said, "I'm not unlucky" despite the knowledge that he had leukemia. Find out why. By the way, don't miss the DVD of the same title. -Anna Q.L.
Sophia
Feb 02, 2009 Sophia marked it as to-read
I saw the movie based on this book. I loved the movie but I thought there was a lot of language for a PG movie. All the same, I loved the movie...so I want to read the book.
Kagan Austin
It was a good book to learn about the life of Ernie Davis, but at times hard to follow. Definitely worth reading even if you have to re-read tough parts to understand.
KaTe
Satisfies the "football/hockey/basketball" requirement for the Winter Book Challenge.

Great story! Ernie Davis was an exception man. He died too young.
Katie
I think Ernie Davis is a hero and his story is phenomenal. He is everything today's sports icons are not. I was not a fan of how this book was written.
Debray Williams
I give this book 5 stars because i love to read about things that i can relate to. Also i like to read aboput football and any other sports.
Kyle Crater
it was ok because the book nvr actualy got the point across. Ernie davis whent through alot with his family and i liked that and how he overcame it.
Mack Evans
Thje epress was good i liked that he was such a good player and ran fast. I just didnt like that he died after a few years thats kinda stupid.
P.e.
A good story about someone who I would have liked to have seen play. The book I read seemed a short version maybe not, but still a great story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »